The Photography Thread

Dont know why we dont have one of these yet!

Post up what you got, what you want, what should i buy, whats out there, user feedback/reviews, comments etc.

My gear
DSLR: Canon 40d, 50mm f1.8, 40mm f2.8 pancake, 28mm f1.8(sold), 70-200 f2.8 mk1, ex430 flash
P&S: Canon S100

S100 gets used heaps, mainly by the wife, but i use it heaps when im feeling lazy and need a quick snap. Have been super happy with it both in terms of use and output, new S110 is out, saw it in the shop! Reviews say not that great, just has added wifi and i think a tad bigger sensor

40d is old school, but have yet to find an excuse to upgrade, does what i need it to, and i can take HD vids with the S100. Love the 70-200 but rarely need the focal length specially on the crop sensor, still a super lovely lens. 50mm i used exclusively for the first year of having an SLR, really enjoyed my shooting. Picked up the 40mm yesterday, i cant see myself using anything else for a while. Love primes.

i have one of these:

its the smallest 35mm camera ever made apparently. and it doesn’t look like a film camera really so i don’t feel like one of those hipster bandwagon jumping new-age-fun-with-a-vintage-feel types.

i also have a bunch of nikon stuff not worth mentioning.

actually, jase you should buy my 20mm 2.8, its a seriously amazing lens. would compliment your 50mm nicely. (i predict you abandoning your 40mm pretty quickly, its a way inferior lens to the 50!)

I have one of these. Its not fancy at all but it can go underwater, takes decent video, I’ve dropped it numerous times (twice whilst riding) and it fits in your pocket. 4 years or so going strong, no moving external parts so hopefully should last until the innards break.

hmm…i had plan on stealing my brother 10-22, but you have me thinking.

why do you say that about the 40vs50? keen to hear your comparison

i know it isnt as fast, but inital impressions seem pretty good sharpmess wise, and the wider angle/metal mount/compactness are kind of plusses in book, specially for travelling.

Nah…

i’m no expert in camera gear, i don’t really keep up to date on it anymore. but i’m a purist, i like prime lenses that have been around for a while and have good reputations, like your 50 (and my 20)

pancake lenses get derided by pros, that’s probably the only basis for my argument.

also why get a lens that’s only slightly wider than what you got?
and also why get a 10-22 when you said you love primes : )

Centon K100 which replaced my Pentax K1000 when it fell off a wall on the Isle of Wight. Various lenses.
Olympus OM-20 in desperate need of a service.
Holga, I know, but I still enjoy it.
Sony Ixus 55, seen better days, but still good to shove in the pocket.

crap, i meant smallest 35mm SLR ever made.

don’t go googling that in case i’m wrong. let me enjoy my tiny camera.

Ugh, that’s so alternative…

more for the compactness, and i guess sucked in with hype a tad. Although looking at some comparisons on FOV samples is quite interesting between the two

ive used my brothers 10-22 before and i liked it, its just handy to have the focal lengths. I really enjoy shooting with prime lenses, but dosnt mean i dont appreciate a mini-zoom, just handy i guess.

totally. that’s why i ride a fixie.

so you are still riding… :wink:

Nikon D60 with Nikkor 18-55 for last two and 50-200 for first one.

LOOK AT ME GO!! (pic 3)

hahaha.

you in the lead rolly? cant tell where your legs end and where the white bib shorts start =D

very funny. it would appear i’m in the lead, but that’s two a-graders behind me, so chances are it wasn’t for long…

ha you know i love ya man, i need to try the boards at least once =(

haha everybody does!

I don’t love ya.

i meant everyone needs to try the boards!!