The Photography Thread

Wow not kidding about the 1970’s design eh

I have a huge bunch of film gear, this is some of it:

But primarily shoot with a Nikon D40 with 50-1.8, Nikon S9100, or my phone. My brothers are both keen photog’s too so I have access to a D90, D700, and a bunch of beautiful lenses. Really looking to upgrade my body though. The eternal battle between travel and owning stuff.

I just took a trip to Sydney and slowly trawling through the photo’s, will post more if there’s interest/I get through them.

That last shot is stunning !!

+1bil on canon s90/95/100/110 for compact

I started off with my mothers old canon t50, that she was given by a teacher of her high school when she was in year 11. It had this rather combersome 35-135mm lens. I purchased a smaller 50mm F/1.8 lens, a neck strap, bag, and a doze rolls of film. I admit, its probably not the best camera to learn on. The total lack of manual controls really does limit your capabilities. I feel it is a basic pas, with interchangeable lenses; kinda like a 35mm 4/3’s camera haha.

I then saved up and bought a canon 1100d, with the kit 18-55mm, and an external flash. I used it for a few months until its lifetime came to a sudden end. I dropped it from the top of an elevator shaft in an abandoned building in Collingwood.

I then purchased a Nikon d90 with an 18-55mm, 35mm F/1.8g, 50mm F1.4d and a 70-300mm lens. I also bought a 11-16mm Tokina lens

I mainly only use the 50mm. I really like the colour and sharpness that it captures. I’m not a huge fan of the 35mm. I either use the 50mm, or the Tokina for most of my stuff.

A mate recently lent me his old Pentax Asahi, with a 50mm F/1.4. It made me realize how much I enjoy shooting with film. My local chemist develop 35mm film for $8, or 3 rolls for $20 with my student discount, so it doesnt really work out to cost that much more than the $0.29 prints at Teds. I will probably look at buying a Nikon 35mm slr in the near future, so i can make the most of the lenses on my d90.

Does anyone know a good reputable place to purchase 35mm film gear? Ive tried Gumtree, Ebay, Cameramarket.com, Camera exchange ect.

Cheers guys,
Ray

And as far as best compact camera under $500, go a Canon G12, or G1X, or what ever the latest is called. External mic input, hotshoes, tiltable screen, 720p hd video and all manual controls at your finger tips. What more could you want?

I’m beginning to think you shouldn’t be allowed to have nice things.

Ray, Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras it’s overseas but have a massive range of 35mm/medium format film gear for reasonable prices and their condition ratings are very conservative. Obviously you could find something local, but if you are after something specific…

Have used a Nikon D200 for years and it’s been one of the greatest things i’ve ever spent money on. A few examples attached.

Until I buy a D800 later this year.

Thanks mate, i will certainly check it out.

And nice photos ^^

Bought a Canon av-1, in silver, which are apparently fairly hard to find, from the local opp shop. It came with a 50mm 1.8, for $50, i can’t go wrong. Chapel street pawn brokers are asking $280 for one, and mines in better nic, (manual, case, lens cap, box ect).

So my Sony rx100 has inspired me to shoot a few more photos lately,
Some people were asking what i thought of it.
So far i love it the only down side is no view finder and no hot shoe mount.
The rest of it is pretty much spot on.
The mk2 model Fixes this but is about $900-$1000

The mk1 i hot for $570
Heres some average shots i shot, All hand held with no set up just holiday stuff.

It also has a pretty good hdr mode and a great panorama program that works like the one on the iphone but far more professional,

^ very nice dayne

Sweet shots Dayne! I was lucky enough to get one of the MKIs for my birthday! Pretty stoked. Haven’t had a chance to shoot anything with it yet but am looking forward to.

Ive only recently come across Sony’s RX1, first full frame ‘compact’. Deep pockets only at $3k and ‘only’ a fixed 35mm lens.

I like the idea, still not a ‘proper’ compact, and pricy as hell, but i think the niche market is there.

DSC-RX1 : RX Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony Australia

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 Review: Digital Photography Review

and a few toys to go with it

I would love an RX1 also, but other projects don’t allow for that kind of outlay.

I bought a used (2008) Panasonic DMC LX3 off ebay, delivered for under $200 to use on a recent holiday. The lens is bright/wide and it shoots raw. It was my first experience with a compact camera and I now feel a compact is all I will ever need for my meagre hobbie needs.

It’s only 10mp. The zoom is a far cry from adequate and the sensor can’t really cope with long, low light exposures. I will look at upgrading soon but there are a ton of fully manual compacts available for well under a 1000.

Some example snaps:

The more I read on this site, the more I realise just how Beardo I am. At first it’s quite confronting, but I’m not going to try and fight it. Beardo style is usually practical and utilitarian, with its own inherant aesthetic, and I feel like I’ve come to it of my own accord; I don’t feel like I’ve been led here.

Anyway…

Years ago, at the turn of the millenium, I was working towards making a living with a camera. Eventually I moved to Melbourne and bought my first real digital camera - EOS 1D MkII - and then fell completely out of love with it. My interested was photojournalism, but it’s a tough way to make a living. Very cut-throat, big egos, and often questionable ethics. I have massive respect for those who do it though, it’s just not for me.

Anyway, I felt a bit burnt and got rid of pretty much every camera and pretty much stopped taking photos. Then when I started cycle touring, I looked at ways of documenting my adventures. Up until my last tour, this has relied on electronics and keeping things charged, but for my last tour I aimed at going electronic free, so bought an old Olympus 35RC rangefinder film camera. That was back in April, and I’ve gone nuts since then. Like bikes, mechanical film cameras a beautiful things, with intriguing and exquisitely designed mechanisms. I now have a couple of other 35mm rangefinders - Minolta HiMatic 7sII and a Rollei 35S (yes, technically not a rangefinder) - a Mamiya 6 folding medium format and - my favourite - a Widelux.

Haha that’s almost my exact story^^
Worked in photography ran a pro lab printing film.
Digital came in I hated it got jaded sold my gear and became a builder.
Fast forward 8 years and I bought a mamiya 645 pro and a holga.
I had a ball with those then sold the mamiya and bought a pans sonic Limix tz11 then got the sony rx100
I’d love a rangefinder and a fm2 again one day

Lovely photos Pete. Thanks for sharing. Always rad to hear when people reconnect with something they love after feeling burnt out or in a rut. I have a Minolta Himatic also, keen to burn some film now!

Amazing stuff! A picture is worth a thousand words. These are quite a few mind blowing shots…especially that taken with rx100 looks awesome. I also have some like this type of stuff take with my rx100. I sure will must be next time post here. You people like it. Anyhow, lovely shots.