The running thread

Find your feet down here has N2s for $100, M3s and N3 roads, too. I was thinking about getting some N2s… I’d only ever had N1s but like you, absolutely loved them. I can go pick up a pair or five for you if you like

Pushys has the N2s and a few others on mega-closeout for a while. They are like $50 IIRC

I remember MikDee telling me that shimano (distro) had a whole bunch on clearance as well if you want to talk to your local bike shop to find out whats available.

Phoar! good deals. Not my size, but very good deals.

Thanks Guys! Running the UTA next year I will only buy shoes that I can buy again and can buy locally. I am very anal with shoes.
The Kigers are comfy as, I just miss the direct feel of the Salomon’s. I started trail running in NB Minimus and been hooked to the feel ever since.
I may try some Inov8s, their Roclite models seem to be close to what I want in a shoe.
I like La Sportiva as a brand I have to say, very trustworthy and true to the sport.

Right on :slight_smile: Hey, you’re probably all over this already, but inov8 now do a precision fit version of some of their shoes, which addresses a problem that i used to have with them… so flappy and volumous inside… these are apparently lower volume, especially around the midfoot, which sounds great to me. I havent tried them, but saw that wiggle has the talon212s in this cut. Let us know how you go!

Now $25 on Pushys. My wife just bought 6 pairs.

Looks like i’ll be heading down to tassie for the trail fest in Feb-18. Looking at running the multi day race, excited!

Decided to keep running in the Kigers after all. I have a newer pair and they felt more precise than my well worn one. And you just cant beat how well they fit my foot.

@Bergs, thats bloody awesome, would love to do that.

SJ: Joined Squadrun for training and they are a great bunch of people

so good!

Getting towards the end of the couch to 5k program (wk 7 now), which has got me back to being able to do a 5k run without shin splints or other lower leg pain. Been a number of years since I ran middle distance stuff.

I think I like the 5k distance for now.

Anyone have suggestions on ways to introduce some more speed without it being too taxing?

Nope :slight_smile:

Do intervals, but just increase your pace for regular short distances, rather than doing flat out for ~100’s of metres. As you build your speed and fitness, increase your interval pace and distance…but also increase the gaps between intervals, if that makes sense.

Disclaimer: I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Adding to ^ do you know what your steps/min are? For some, their pace can be increased by increasing their cadence.

Everyday runners generally fall between 160-170 steps per minute, while elite runners strike the ground around 180 steps per minute or higher—with some getting above 200 at their fastest speeds

This should be on most internet comments

^ I’ve added it to my sig to avoid any confusion.

My watch measures it so I have a feel on the effect of this between an easy pace and a time trial pace I find that I increase the steps per minute by 10-15 and the stride length also extends from 15-20cm.

Its notnecessarily a deliberate set of changes rather the effort of going faster leads to those outcomes.

Fair enough then. Guess I’ll add some interval or fartlek type runs in over the next month of so and feel it out.

Re-reading my comment sounded like I was asking how to get fast without doing work (like that’s ever the case :confused: ) But it was intended to be read as ‘without ending up with shin splints again’.

Back in Canberra where the trails are sweet!

Plan to do the long events of the Sri Chimnoy winter trail series (10, 20, 30). Went for a 6k hit out today and felt fine, 70 days until the first 10 k and then a month in between each race. Currently do 5 hours of commuting a week and strength stuff in the gym at lunch. Hoping to get by on 2-3 runs a week for training. Thoughts on just doing tempo and long runs (no easy stuff, no intervals)? These are the most enjoyable runs so made sense to me.

Any of the Melbourne runners looking for some winter running feel free to PM me about the APS cross country, no need for any previous APS affiliation but some good racing mostly low key cross country.

12 races around eastern Melbourne for ~$10 a race. Low key but some good runners to push you if you want.

On an average 8km a week this year i just gave myself a flogging at my work fun run, 7km in 27:43… blown away by how hard it felt but also super psyched to still be able to hang under 4min/km. The tank was empty at the end, felt perfectly knackered. Beat an old foe (he is unaware of this designation) from work, so it was very sweet.

Now to try to not tear hamstrings as I get up from desk this arvo.
Still rocking the lunar racers, which must be 6 or 7 years old now. Still love em.

Anyone run with dogs? Have adopted a German Shepherd and once she’s fully grown in a couple of months might need to start running her more so she doesn’t destroy my house. Any good places to do it? Like Merri Creek but the bush path where you can run em off leash is pretty short.