The small joys today thread (a bit of Yang for FoA Yin of late)

New store opening special

SJ: The stars literally aligned for me on the weekend and I managed to capture the core of the Milkyway.
#stoked!!!
Imgur

6 Likes

^ Very niceā€¦and just to think that it took a few billion years for their light to reach usā€¦or that thereā€™s more atoms in a grain of sand than stars in the observable universe.

1 Like

If you look closely you can see mercury in retrograde

1 Like

Shit that looks good. Camera and lens settings?

1 Like

Nice one Cam - Are you using any app to track the milky way? I highly suggest photopills.

1 Like

Thanks mate! Sony A7ii- FE 24-70 F4 ZA OSS (ZEISS)

24mm iso 2000 f4 15sec

My mate tracked this for me with that app Iā€™ve got it now for future attempts :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve only tried a handful of times to get good photos of stars, but Iā€™ve never been able to get the focus right. My DLSR only goes to 1600ISO, so i typically need to open the aperture right up even at 20-30 sec exposures, and so Iā€™ve never quite nailed it.

Gotta keep trying.

1 Like

Manual focus to infinity if you can. 20-30 seconds is good, any longer and you will start to get the movement in the stars.

1 Like

This was my first ever attempt at Astro about a year ago on the hike along the Royal National Park in Sydney. It was using a terrible tripod.

1 Like

It really depends on the lens. Longer lens = more perceived movement and shorter shutter speed. Shorter lens = less movement and longer shutter speed.

1 Like

Yeah right, didnā€™t know that. I have only been using my 18-55 on the XE3 at 18mm which is at 28mm equiv.

1 Like

Yeah on my zeiss 24 mm I get trails to start at 20 seconds so 13-15 seconds is a good range.

Looking to get a Samyang 14mm 2.8 manual lens you can get 30 seconds on that without any trails starting.

Yeah, that Samyang gets some good reviews with the Fujifilm astro people.

To be honest though, Iā€™m not the kind of person to go out and chase astro stuff. Itā€™s cold. Itā€™s dark. hahaha.

1 Like

Yes definitely cold in cbr haha

SJ: finding bargain stuff you actually need
NSJ: finding bargain stuff you would like but the seller says ā€œhey, this is getting lots of interest at this price, so Iā€™ve raised it 2.5x what I had it listed for.ā€

Iā€™ve got the Samyang 12mm 2.0 and itā€™s great for astro. (Edit: Not sure why the first two photos are cropped. You can right click and open in new tab to see full length)
Imgur
Imgur
(Not astro, obvs)
Imgur

2 Likes

SJ: Chance encounter while getting my morning coffee last week led to Adam/Cycle Exif taking photos of my retro mtb beater at lunch today for his website. Is there a 26" equivalent of fixiefamous?

2 Likes

My new commute can mean chats with Nikcee on the ride in or high fives with Huw from commuter depending on which shop Iā€™m heading to.

2 Likes