The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

Got the fat bike ready to hit some of these blizzard conditions tomorrow!

Basically like packing for a trip into the backcountry. Bothy bag, first aid, epirb, spare insulated layers, wet weather gear, food, thermos, hand warmers, tool kit, pump.

Plan is a loop in the Rubicon area (McFadyen track), and possibly up Keppel Hut track to get up onto some of the Lake Mtn cross-country trails. Should be a good day out.

4 Likes

let us know how ya go! reports are the snow is pretty deep out there! pics please :wink:

Yeah I’m thinking deep unconsolidated new snow is going to lead to lots of comedy.

1 Like

You got a set of chains for the rear?

Just need to put some screws into the tyre. Problem solved

Fun was had, but we didn’t even get to the start of the loop we had planned because the fresh powder was so low down. Powder makes for a soft landing, but not exactly easy riding.

Nice thing about snow riding is that the bike is perfectly clean at the end of the day.

4 Likes

looks like fun indeed!

whats it like riding in snow? im imagining sand but not as soft?

ps, i have a brand new pair of oakley wind jacket 2’s with Snow Prizm lenses if you need some eye wear for more future snow rides

cheap :smiley:

Like sand, it is good and fun if it’s consolidated and firmer packed. When it’s super soft and powdery it’s not so easy, especially uphill.

Tell me more about these glasses - do you have a listing somewhere?

PM incoming

20 character

Put a dropper on the fat bike.

SS’ed the dirt jumper, plus NW chainring

Might replace the brakes on my trail bike soon, then swap it’s hydros onto this one.

1 Like

Today, I swapped my left and right brakes.
Will I regret this? Time will tell.

Anybody else ever done this? How long did it take to get used to?

You mean left lever to front brake? Took me about three seconds.

Good to know. Why’d you swap them?

My last memory of swapped brakes was hopping on a mates bike as a kid, trying to do a skid and flying over the bars because he didn’t tell me

I spose if it’s my bike, I’ll be more aware.

Neater cabling mostly. Left lever to right brake arm.

I have had two bikes alternating at one stage with differing brakes. Never takes long. In emergency it might be a moment of brown-pants but that might happen whichever hand you use.

IMG_20190821_132343_01

Swapped most of the bits from my Kona onto this Norco Search frameset.

XT levers onto ultegra flat mount brakes for bike nerd points.

2 Likes

ive been eyeing off those steel Norcos, would love a review if when you have a few minutes, or even just tell me whats the max tire width it’ll take!

It juuuuust squeezes a 700x50 in the back but realistically a 700x45 without guards, 700x40/42 with guards.

Fork clears a 700x50 ok without guards

Apparently they can take 27.5x 2.1.

Overall pretty impressed, nice color matched 3t stem, good long expander plug for fork, decent headset (thou not installed with the frameset).

Some reports of poor QC in BB roundness (pressfit 86/41) but mine has been fine… if this had been BSA BB it would have been a Kona/all city etc killer.

Good mounts for racks and guards.

Easily builds into a ~10kg complete bike with out guards or racks etc.

Rides nicely, did 120kms on it on Saturday, no worse feeling than my Ritchey swiss cross.

peerrffect, hunt is on!