The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

Modified one of these:

To take one of these:

So I could hang this in my apartment:

Result:

Also - fat bike!

Getting my Pinarello ready for the Noosa Strade Bianche over the last couple of months: swapped the Ergopower levers for down tube shifters and brake levers, swapped the old Gran Sport seat post for something more appropriate, touched up a few scratches, cleaned, adjusted, polished. Now all there is to do is stuff it in a box.

That’s some A+ retro grouching

nice one pinzo

what tyres will you be running?

Probably 28 Paselas…

Good call for those roads.

why the change to downtube shifters?

Along with steel frames, they are the only rules of the Noosa Strade Bianche. Not quite as strict as L’Eroica which also requires toe clips and straps, non-aero cabling and minimum 32 hole rims.

…possibly I’ve mentioned that 1000 times before and you were taking the piss. FML.

hahaha no genuinely didnt know. It’s defs the kind of thing I’d do tho fml

Finally took my NOS late Concorde Aquila frame (sadly, not one of the Ciocc built ones) to a shop where I could borrow the special tool to tap/clean up the threads of the bottom bracket shell. Did that and got the BB installed.
I’ve had this frame sitting around about two years now and have built and bought other bikes since acquiring it. Basically have all the parts I need to get it road worthy, but plans for what parts to use kept changing. Got a complete later Tricolor Ultegra gruppo, including a NOS BB. The right brifter is characteristically borked though. I could send it in to get repaired for a pretty penny, or attempt it myself. Ive got a set of tricolor downtube shifters, but they’re indexed for 7 speed. Might do that just to get it on the road and give it a shakedown.

Assuming you have flushed the brifter out really well with WD 40 or similar? I’ve brought more than one ‘broken’ shifter back to life this way.

1 Like

^that. Plus, I think you can run the 600 DT shifters in friction mode (might be wrong, some can’t, some can). It’s not gonna be excact, but for 7s you should be able to get it close enough to not worry about the chain skipping under load.

1 Like

This might help

Looking veeeery good Pinzo.

Returning to Giro Della Donna this year?

Thanks Dave.

Don’t think so - I’m kind of a one event per year kinda guy, so this year it’s the NSB. You doing it?

Thanks guys.
I haven’t tried flushing with WD-40. I just heard these 6400 series brifters, being early, were a nightmare to repair/clean, but work great when they are in good shape. Basically, older posts saying you had to disassemble, clean and regrease to get them working right.
The right DT shifter can be changed from SIS to friction, and works fine in that way. I’ve got the same ones on one of my other bikes and used them in friction for a while for a 7 speed. Im running 8spd in the rear of the Concorde and probably should be OK with friction, but man, I prefer indexed shifting, with how 95% of my riding is in traffic.

I’ve had good experience with drowning these in WD40 as suggested, and just shifting up and down a bunch to get it to penetrate throughout. Wrap a few rags around to catch the excess though to avoid ruining the bar tape.

1 Like

They’re not. Just follow the instructions WTP linked to and they’ll be shifting like new in no time.

Havent even installed yet, so I’ll give it a good dousing and see where it gets me. What lube to you apply after flushing them out? Assuming WD-40 isn’t good enough for longterm use.

Yep. I actually signed up the day after last year’s. Half price entry, plus I kinda wanna do it again whilst fit and healthy rather than slightly injured. My brother just texted me an hour ago to say he’s signed up too, so better get onto booking some accommodation out that way. Screw that 5am start!