The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

^If that has a carbon steerer i’d be careful with that stack hight.

Also, today I set my racemaster up for tomorrow’s TT!!

take it to your LBS!! my new forks were too long they charged me $20 to cut them =]

Put a set of these on:

Then figured out I dont have enough cable outer ferrules, so I didnt finish the job.

I would not stress about the stack height of the fork you won’t break it. But if the steerer is carbon make sure you get someone who knows how to do it you file it off more than cut it off with a really fine hack saw or carbon saw.

I fitted one of these to my hard tail
http://www.paulcomp.com/images/ckbbd1full.png
It was really quick to fit, Sash at Pony got it in for me she is doing a few Paul’s Bits.

New chainring and cog, ratio is maybe a bit big for the street but I’m sure I’ll get use to it.

what ratio are you running?

52x16, Not 100% sure on the gear inches. 86ish?
Would have been nicer if I could have found a 52t Zen ring rather than the FSA.

nice and quick way to destroy your knees

Its about 87.7 ish thats huge i ride 73ish and am looking at droping to around 71-72 ish.
If you have an iphone theres a good gi app called chainvetica.

That gear is utterly ridiculous on the street. Get yourself a 20 or 21 tooth sprocket, your knees will thank you.

You do run a brake right?

Changed my WI 16t freewheel back to an 18 in preparation for the Roobaix, pulled the TRPs apart for a service and clean, chain as well and took off the Gatorskins and back on with the Vittoria XG cross tyres. Now all I have to do is mentally prepare myself for 3400 kilometres of driving with a two year old in the back of the car all the way home to Melbourne from Perth.

Swapped bullhorns for risers on my scrambler

Is it really going to be pretty harsh on the knees?
Took it out for a ride today and it only feels slightly harder than the old gearing I had.

I think i was at a set of lights with you the other week.

I ride 68 inches, and thinking of going down to 65. Spinning is good and, yes, a gear that hard will eventually make you cripple, especially if you are running brakeless. People like Tom ride bikes for a living, their advice is usually good advice.

Mid 60s to mid 70s is the most common ratio you will find, and for good reason.

79.2 is my poison =]

I agree with HMC. I think you’ll find a lot who ride around that mark. I found 69 best for me. Spinners are grinners!

Yes. That is a ridiculous gear. If your looking for better speed, learn how to spin rather then the easy and more short term option of jumping up on the gear inches. You won’t last, you won’t be able to climb and soon enough you won’t be able to walk.

69" +/- is perfect for any city. I have toured fixed on that gear with no issues about speed.
Currently riding 75" and was feeling it after 200km in the saddle, but generally finding it okay for city riding and racing.

What have i done to my bike today…

Looked at it and smiled after a successful weekend and lucky escape after crashing whilst racing yesterday.
I also just picked out some new special tubing and printed out some drawings.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I’m in the market for a new cog then =]

Spent an hour or so cleaning my bike. Everything was filthy after the recent rain…

I beg to differ. I reckon 80gi is about perfect in Perth. Lots of long flat plains. Ive been running 80 for about 5 months now and love it. I reckon I climb ok as well. I do want to gear down though to work on my spin. If I can mash at a lower gi, gear up for races and smash it out.