The Wheel Building Thread

MTB or road? Either way I’ll be interested to hear reviews, might be looking for some mtb hubs a bit down the track.

Road. But from what from what i’ve been reading the mtb hubs have been receiving equally positive reviews.

In other new my rims turned up today. While they each come in at 20g over their listed weight they look very, very good. I’ll get some photos when the weather gets its act together. A few nice things to note are:

All the drillings for both the spoke and valve holes are round and clean.
There rim has a valley for the thicker centre section of the base tape to sit in.
There is a recess around the valve hole to allow the valve to it in nicely.
The overall finish is smooth and consistent.

So i’ve completed by wheel build and here are some pictures and weights. I’m really happy with how these wheels turned out at 1185g and at just over $550.

I Haven’t taken them for a spin yet as i still need to glue the tires on and change over the cassette from my old wheelset. I’ll also post a ride report after i’ve knocked up a few km’s on them.

They look great J.K.L.P! I’m planning on doing a very similar thing with my Velomax hubs. Inspiring!

Well done! Where did you order those rims? The link in one of your first posts didn’t work. I just ordered a bunch of wheel building kit from the US, I’ve had enough with paying shops to do my wheel work for me.

JKLP, would love to hear some reviews on your Chinese carbon rims as I’m in the market for a new wheelset. How are they holding up?

The rims are holding up really well so far although they’ve probably only seen around 500km. I’ve had to retrue the rear once as but this had nothing to do with the rims and more to do with my wheelbuiling skills. Im actually planning on building another pair for my cross bike at the moment. This pair will most likely be built with 50mm clinchers.

Glad to know that there’s nothing dodgy about it.

But I think it sucks that they don’t have 32H option for the carbon rims…

Thanks anyway!

I’ve got my wheels in being built at Hell on Wheels.

+

+
(silver)

Should come in at 1500g. Stoked.

The 50mm carbon clinchers I run on my cross bike have carbon rims sourced from china - ebay seller carbonzone. I’ve raced on them and they go fine - now being swapped over to be thrashed on my roadbike. I have a set of 50mm tubular rims that are currently being built up for crit racing. All the wheel building is being done by ShifterDan.

Stu

I’d just like to say that tensiometers are fantastic. I did an initial tension of a dished wheel I’d assembled (i.e. starting with barely any tension in the spokes), with the intention of getting up to about 80% of goal tension, and then beginning to true and dish from there, using the tensiometer to get the initial tension even. To do this, I calculated the ratio of left to right side tension as being equal to the ratio of the hubs left flange position to right flange position (measured from the centre of the hub) and then brought the spokes up to the calculated tensions. Gave it a spin and the thing was damn near perfectly true and dished, before I’d even begun the truing process. Awesome.

interesting!
nice work

It’s meant to be there. Don’t ask me why, but some rims have them.

Cheers Stu!

Btw, I’m quite concern on the braking surface area of these Chinese carbon rims. Will they take up heat? I’m about to do the same as JKLP’s, Circus Monkey hubs but will order the rims (38mm clinchers) from Hongfu instead of Archteks, cause I’ve only heard good things about Jenny who works at the company.

General question, is buying Chinese carbon rims a bad idea compared to buying a factory wheel like Mavic Ksyrium? The purpose of the wheel is for training, not for anything serious like racing tho… I just wanna get the most out of the $700 that I’ll be spending for the wheels.

My 38mm carbon clincher rims from HongFu just arrived at my door step today. Pretty fast shipping! Skyped with Jenny from HongFu on Monday, she confirmed they have stock for the said rims, so I made payment straight away. Quite expensive compared to JKLP’s Yikshun’s carbon tubular as I paid $350 including shipping. Apparently clinchers are expensive than tubular. What a bummer. Rims were shipped the next day (Tuesday) and reached destination on Friday.

Ordered UD matte finished. Rims are fantastic! Holes are smoothly drilled. Braking surface is 3k finished and by the look of it I think this will take a lil bit of heat from braking. But too early to say actually…

Circus Monkey hubs are still yet to arrive so no updates til next weekend. I’m not building this on my own; will send to my LBS for spokes and lacing. I’m pretty optimist that this will turn into a good set of wheels.

I’ll post photos when I have a camera and free times…

This is the truth. I just purchased a pair of 50mm carbon clinchers through Archteks for $360 delivered. They will be laced to another pair of circus monkeys to use on the cross bike and as taining wheels on the roadie.

Was wondering if anyone had tips regarding the finer details of building a wheel. I’ve read somewhere that if there are decals on the rim that they should be facing the drive side. Are there are any other best practices that I should know about?

When you look through the valve hole you should see the brand of the hub.

Probably more important just to build kick-ass wheels…

Its to release water under centrifugal force.

Quite often deep rims except water through the nipples but can not let it out.

Couple of pictures of the HongFu 38mm Chinese carbon clincher rims and Circus Monkey hubs.