The Woolshed - Ezy's house renovation.

Sorry ezy, shoulda put a bit more effort

Two storey bike garage so FOAers can all sleep over upstairs

what is the Bunnings sausage sandwich count? surely you’d know your way through there by now!

Cool, just got a quote from them for a concrete hearth for my new fireplace. Looks like good work!

Surprisingly there hasn’t been too many Bunnings visits as up until this stage it has been more about destroying the house rather than putting it back together.

They seem pretty good - Vee has seen him a couple of times and he has been very helpful and his work is everywhere in Canberra.

Not too much progress to report. There has been some rain in Canberra over the last week and a bit which means that the tradies have had delays on the job before ours. Maybe next week they will come and put some flooring in over the extension.

So on the weekends I have been doing more pre sheeting work which takes a lot of time for not much reward. Some more grinding of the render and I have also been busy digging a few trenches for the tradies toilet plumbing. This weekend we only had 1 day at the house due to the wife’s bday. On saturday we put up the framework for the new front porch.

We have also decided to get new roof tiles, battens and sarking for the roof rather than trying to find second hand tiles and spraying.

A bit of an update - things will be moving along over the next couple of weeks with the trades coming on board. This week the chippies will be putting up the framework for the extension, then the new gutter and facia will be put on before the new roof. If all goes to plan with weather etc then this time next week we will have the roofing close to being done. Pretty excited like this - it is embarrassing having a house look like a piece of crap at the moment.

The big thing that was worked on last weekend was removing a 3.8m timber lintel and replacing it with a steel version. Because the lintel was timber, over time it had shrunk. This caused the roof to develop a dip in it as the trusses sit on this bit of timber. We now have a dipless roof. The huge bit of timber that came out will be recycled and turned into our new dining table top, there are also a few other lintels that I will also recycle and make furniture out of.

It was also Ivan’s birthday.

I removed a whole heap of tiles from the roof and cleaned things up a bit. The old tiles will be sold.

Great to see you recycling all the old materials dude! Keep at it.

This. Good one Ezy!

I absolutely cannot stand talking about renovations, or property prices etc, but I love watching building and process and progress shots! Keep up the amazing work.

“Yeah we can’t decide on whether we should use bamboo or oak for the flooring”
"I don’t caaaarrrreeee, please just pick one and then shoot me in the face. But once you’ve done both those things, send me some photos, eh?

So… bamboo or oak for the flooring?

Progress from today. Builders did their thing and have the floor and framework all done. With heavy rains expected in CBR over the next week (75+ ml on Sunday) I am a bit anxious about how wet this is all going to get.

Framing all done for the front door.

Real oak? - I’d be looking for boards at least 120mm wide then yep, all good otherwise I wouldn’t bother.

120mm boards are $$$$,
Don’t worry about the rain it will dry out eventually, bigger houses I built often have the frames out in the weather for months and This was in QLD rain, just let it dry out before you plaster it.

looking good must be getting excited hey.

Looking good though mate

Oak boards were in reference to the joke on post #49
http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=36952&page=5&p=649678&viewfull=1#post649678

While we are on the subject though. I dare say we will go with a timber laminate.

On Friday we had the gutter and facia installed, I had to go out and cover the roof with tarps incase of rain - but mainly to protect from frost.

Saturday was a massive site clean up, one of the things we are doing to save money is asking the tradies to not worry about cleaning up after they have finished their main job. So the site was a massive mess on Saturday - it took half a day to get it looking decent.

Sunday I knocked a few bricks out of a wall that will be replaced with colourbond cladding whilst Ivan built the frame for a sliding door. We hired some scaffolding so I could grind back some render that was out of reach - I also had to go over and clean up some other render… this was pretty much the rest of what I did for that day and also Monday.

On Monday we had the roof tilers on site to put down the sarking, new battens and the tiles on the extension. It’s now that the house is starting to reveal itself! It was really exciting to see.

Monday afternoon Ivan spotted something… the end of the house had a bit of a rise, he got the tape measure out and one of the trusses was the incorrect size. It was too late to have another one made up as the roof tilers would be on site first thing today and it would cost more money to send them home… so we fixed it under iPhone light. It was so cold!

^ Nice save.

I really like that brickwork with the bits of render still on. But I guess you’ll be rendering over that.

Yeah, I spent all of yesterday getting rid of those last bits of render. It’s all just red brick… ideally I would like to have a brick face, but because it has been grinded back a bit, it doesn’t look that nice. Kind of like a matt finish brick.

Nude roof. Ivan has taken time off work to get things moving along… we insisted he actually head overseas or just stay home and put his feet up for a few weeks, but Ivan loves to work.

Small update - roof complete.

nice mate!