Thoughts on Surly Steamroller???

Hey guys,

This is my first post, very happy to be here.

Ive very recently moved to Cairns and Ive brought my Surly disk trucker with me. I love my trucker, but I’m wanting something lighter, quicker, simpler and definitely faster, to take advantage of the flat roads here. I’m wanting a fixed gear :slight_smile: The trucker can just be used for touring duties now.

This will be my first ever fixed gear, but I’ve owned plenty of road race bikes and I have my trucker.

Surly seems to have a great reputation when it comes to there frames. Ive been very happy with mine.

What are your thoughts on using a steamroller on the road?? They claim the geometry isn’t to track orientated? I’d be using it for commuting and short trips. Now and then I’ll jump on the track. I really love getting out of the saddle and sprinting from traffic light to traffic light. I’d say I can be a pretty aggressive rider at times.

I really want to build the bike from scratch. Struggling to find a steamroller frame set in size 56 though. I’d be willing to buy second hand but nothings popped up as of yet. Dealers don’t seem to have much in the way of frame sets. Not really sure if I want to buy a complete bike and strip it down to sell parts, can’t be bothered. But its an option.

Have also been looking at the EAI Bare knuckle (could be to stiff for the road, but frame sets are easily available) and the Cinelli Gazzeta (frame set also easily available). Opinions? Are there any other frames you could recommend??

Would be great if you guys could point me in the right direction. Components id be using so far would be Mavic Open pro’s with Phil Wood hubs, Sugino Cranks, Nitto bullhorn handlebars (enjoy sprinting out of the saddle).

Cheers :slight_smile:

Suss gear shop Brisbane for frames. Maybe a colossi would suit you.

get one. they rule. spewing I sold mine.

Out of all the bikes you mentioned the steamroller would be the best I reckon. I love them and have been waiting forever to find a decent/cheap one. Won’t be the greatest for track but if that’s not it’s main job then don’t stress to much about it.

This. Won’t regret.

see here: http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f4/charge-vs-surly-fight-7658/

Cheers guys

I will have a look at the Collosi site, shoot the guys down in brisbane an email.

Yeah I definitely have a good feeling about the steamroller. Definitely seems suited to my needs.

The only option I can find for buying a steamroller frame set is from Surly Steamroller Frameset '09 > Components > Frames > Track & Fixed Gear Frames | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

They seem pretty legit and also stock the crank I’m chasing.

Thanks 4 the help so far :wink:

Yeah I have a steamroller. Great bike, clearance for 35s if your desperate. Ridden mine on the road, didn’t suck. Ride my exclusively on the track now, like a proper 43 degree banked indoor timber track and I reckon it goes well. You sit a little lower than a ‘normal’ track bike which generally has a higher bb. They’re pretty versatile to as they will take a standard road calipers from memory.
They tend to have a long TT compared to the ST and not a hugely tall headtube so don’t be cutting that steerer too short.

Also I have a set of sugino grand mighty cranks for sale to if you’re interested.

I bought a complete Steamroller in 2006, hammered it for 2 years and sold it to a friend who continues to commute on it today.
Definitely nothing exciting in terms of boutique bragging rights, but will last you forever.

Dutchdingo on here has a Steamroller pretty much set up eactly as you want to. He loves it.

My bro rides a steamroller in baby poo green, nice bike, skinny frame tubes (not 80s skinny but nice lines).

Hey guys,

Really appreciate the replies. The decisions been made, Steamroller it is :slight_smile: I know I said I wanted a frame set but theres a new cream roller available on bike exchange. Must be last years stock because cream isn’t in this years colour scheme. Cream is my absolute fav Surly colour.

Buy Surly STEAMROLLER, Surly, Fixie Bike for Sale in St Kilda, VIC

Its a size Large, I’m hoping thats a 56cm. I’ll ring them tomoz. I’f its a 56cm, I’ll get them to post it up. I figure, I can always up grade the wheel set in the following months. But that seat’s gotta go ASAP lol

Its at $949. Decent price?

Good deal I reckon.
As for the wheel set, ride it into the ground then upgrade. You might be surprised how long they last tbh.

Hey Guys!

After weeks of trying to track down a 56cm Surly Steamroller frame within Australia, I finally had a break threw.

Hats off to Phantom sports and cycle in Tahmoor, New South Wales. They ordered me in a complete bike and striped it down to frame and fork. I was super grateful, know other dealer was willing to do this. The frame and fork arrived today. It was boxed incredibly well. Definitely recommend these guys.

Ive weighed the frame and fork which might interest some people.

Frame (with Surly seat collar, no headset or BB) = 2104g
Fork (Uncut) = 958 g
Total = 3062g

Its the Green/Grey 2013 colour. Cant say I love it, but it’ll do.

Heres a picture. Not my photo but identical.

Future plans for the build.

Thomson Elite X4 stem black.
Thomson Elite seat post black.
Nitto RB-018 Bullhorn Bar.
Chris King No Thread set Headset black.
Fizik Arione saddle black.
Sugino 75 cranks black.
Phil Wood Bottom Bracket.
Phil Wood Hubs black.
Velocity Deep V’s black. Machined front, non machined rear.
Pedals ???
Chainring ???
Rear sprocket ???
Brake Lever ???
Brake ???
Chain ???

So this is where I’m at guys! I’m open to any ideas on components. I’m wanting a quality build, I don’t want to be up grading components in 6 months time. Keen to go with quality parts straight up.

All my riding will be flat, minimal hill riding if any. I have no problem swapping out the rear sprockets to work out what gear ratio works. I just want to buy the one chainring though. I was thinking a 46?? Not gonna lie, I’m very lost when it comes to all these gear ratio’s. I enjoy spinning, don’t want to be mashing the pedals to much.

Also what length cranks are people using? Its not a track orientated frame, so can’t imagine the BB being to high.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

i merged this with your first thread, i know you’re excited, but we don’t need 2 threads on the topic.

glad you found one though :slight_smile:

Cheers rolly :wink:

I’d get a Zen Chainring. You can get Sugino 75s in 170mm with 46T Zen for $270 from this mob. (Im not often looking for this kind of thing but iirc this is a good price).
Sugino 144-Zen Road Fixie Track Bike Crankset 46T 170mm | Cycling Deal

On my last fixed gear which had a low bb, I was running 167.5mm cranks. Shorter cranks might be better if you wanna spin heaps, but if you’re worried about pedal strike I wouldn’t be too stressed about running 170s.

Sprocket: Phil, EAI or Surly even. Invest in a good lockring - get a Phil one.

Why not run H plus son Architype rims instead of Deep Vs? - they’re a bit lighter, a bit wider and plenty strong enough. You can get a machined one which is still all black. Will be a more suitable rim for your frame’s tyre clearances and will look the biz.

Chain: Izumi - cheap but are the dog’s bollocks.

Pedals/Straps: I’d get some BMX platform style ones and run SkinGrowsBack/BOgear straps. My brother raves about Odyssey Plastic ones so he can file off the studs.

Brake: you’ll need to run a caliper that has a medium drop, something a little bigger than a standard road brake. I know that Miche makes one that is cheap ad does the job but if you want one that will be the best one you can get run a Paul Racer Medium with a Paul Funky Monkey hanger.

Brake lever: if you’re set on getting bullhorns I’d get a Paul Canti Lever or E-Lever (to go with your Paul Racer ;)). However, if it was my bike I’d be getting some Salsa Cowbells and run TRP RRL levers. They’re spring-loaded so you can run a dummy lever for the other side. Bullhorns might look good but road drops are so much better for general riding.