Tips and tricks for noobs

less talking about building your bike(s) and more riding your bike(s)

Given that the help forum is almost exclusively about mechanics, I’d expect less talk about riding your bike(s) and more talk about building your bike(s).

Tips and tricks for noobs?

This thread was a good idea. It’s a shame that it’s mostly useless crap.

Helped me.

sheldon brown
search function
measure it
function over form

metaadvise Build one , ride it and learn what you want

fullface

Get a piece of crap bike from the side of the road/tip and pull it apart and rebuild before doing so to a good bike that you actually want to ride. That way you learn which threads aren’t normal (left pedal, drive side bb), how to service an old hub without losing pieces and general ‘as-you-go lessons’. Seeing how a bike can deteriorate also helps you appreciate the importance of regular maintenance.
Lastly, lube your chain people.

According to Sheldon Brown, for each cog (sprocket) tooth difference, the axle position in the fork end will change by 1/8" (3 mm.) Use this to work out whether you can go up or down a tooth without having to adjust your chain length.

Don’t worry about what other people think about your bike. If they’re judging you, they’ve got an inferiority complex of their own. If you like it, then you like it.
This is simplified as AYHSMB
or

The haters shall suck thy balls.

presta valves (the long thin ones) have a nipple on top you have to un screw before tryin to pump up the tyre.

funnily enough, i saw someone struggling with this the other day.

dont buy bar tape, just cut up some old inner tubes and wrap your bars with that.

no-one rides kashimax saddles on the street for a reason.

Use the semi permeable dressings from the chemist on road rash. The wet healing can mean less scarring.

Don’t mixup the vaseline and the vicks

( my mum told me that and I have never worked out why)

Think about what you were doing with the vas… you’ll work it out.

rule #1 of embrocation - chamois before embro.
do it the wrong way and you’ll be in for a world of (crotch) pain…

The best advice I can give, if you ever come across what appears to be a bargain, contact me with the sellers details and I’ll find out!

Read first, ask later.

Dont answer questions if you dont know the answer.

Whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question, is stupid.

Less talking, more riding.

Otherwise, welcome to the forum.

Forgot the important ones Coffee…

Don’t ruin a good coffee with milk or sugar.

Drink espresso.

Ah yes, how could i forget… But dont get me started on the do’s and dont’s of coffee!