Today's Melbourne Leader

+1 pro choice.

that goes for both; stack hats and back-up stopping mechanisms.

youse cuntz can do what ya want.

if i was helmetless/brakeless about 3 weeks ago i would be in some pretty fucken bad shape, all because of someone else’s stupidity.

I wear shinguards, kneeguards, wristguards, elbow pads, back protection and hip guards…but I cover it all up with my clothes so no one can see. and then when I ride brakeless and helmetless, I still look really super uber cool…but deep down inside I know I’m still somewhat protected. :sunglasses:

i’m gonna throw in my two cents and walk away, as we are all entitled to.
i can totally see the beauty and appreciate the aesthetic of track bikes without a brake, and i wouldnt think less of anyone riding without one, however there is a simple mantra that can be applied in this situation
if you’ll use it once in a year, it’s worth having.

also on helmets, i’ve been hit by a car, my helmeted head cracked the windscreen and i landed head first on the road, i don’t even need to say any more on the topic.
ride safe everyone, you might only get one shot at it

interesting to see this debate crop up again a week before meanstreets…

hope you’re ok cam. we wondered where you were sunday morning. i’ll be there again this sunday if you want to come down.

+2 for helmets and a brake but I’ll chuck in one other factor to the debate - the RAMP - if I rode down the ramp at work brakeless I’d smear myself against the wall at the bottom every time (too steep to make the turn at the bottom in time)- its so steep you’d probably slip over doing the walk of shame down it. :smiley:

Chapel st…people doing far crazier things to get each others attention than putting a pink wheel on their bike :roll:

I will be there on Sunday Brendan, as long as I dont plow down some more humans and break a law and make a bad name for a bike scene based on riding illegal bikes LOLROFLCAKE :smiley:

Love
The human potato

im with the pro-choicers
i think it has to be said that where there are cars and bikes, bikes will always be hated. i myself wear a helmet if i know im riding through shit spots, but if i’m getting my short mac on a hot brunswick street day i see no point.
ride safe as always, otherwise there be no one to start these rants.

My mate binned it last week, some gutless stupid pedestrian (who didn’t even apologise or try to help, but instead ran off) tried to run in front of him but didn’t make it. My mate planted head first, cracked his collar bone, and his helmet smashed into a thousand pieces, a Giro, too.

Lucky for him he can still function as a normal human being. He’s had that helmet for years and years, and it finally came through with the goods.

We’ve all got our stories…

Ride safe.

And by the way…

:wink:

I propose two competitions at the next Alley cat (not that I’ve ever been to one, seriously where do you folk get all your free time from?)

1. Shortest stopping distance challenge. Brakes optional. Contestants must travel down a hill at high speed and whom ever can stop at the bottom in the shortest distance wins the glory and respect of their peers.
    This is in opposition to the longest skid competition which, although it looks fun, is kind of retarded and serves no real purpose in real world cycling.

2. The blind driver competition. Helmets optional. Contestants must ride along a straight course at high speed towards a ‘dummy’ car parked as if it is ‘turning left’ into their path.
    (or a suddenly opened car door from the right)
    After flying over their bars and hitting the pavement contestants are assessed by medics. Whom ever leaves the competition with the least amount of acquired brain injury wins.

+1

I propose two competitions at the next Alley cat (not that I’ve ever been to one, seriously where do you folk get all your free time from?)

1. Shortest stopping distance challenge. Brakes optional. Contestants must travel down a hill at high speed and whom ever can stop at the bottom in the shortest distance wins the glory and respect of their peers. This is in opposition to the longest skid competition which, although it looks fun, is kind of retarded and serves no real purpose in real world cycling.
  1. The blind driver competition. (bla bla bla)

I propose you STFU until you’ve had a go? :? Watch less TV? Stop reading 4chan?

Alleycats and related events remind people of their own limitations, and that of their ride. I’d rather see more people getting into these things and working out how it’s done than hear about kids wobbling through intersecions because they don’t know how to fucking stop.

The recent skid comp was an awesome day with a huge turnout of spectators as well as participants. Building the culture with ‘odd’ events serves a very real purpose - shit like this does more for getting people into cycling than certain other alleged cycling advocacy organisations. If you have no spare time then your events will never see the light of day - get a diary maybe?

Anyway. Stop Comps, why the hell not?

should we have it in Little Bourke St? :smiley:

Skid Vicious was awesome. :cry:

lame.

free time?.. ppl make time. it’s on sunday next week - you have little excuse not to make it down for meanstreets. get some perspective.

Name: DCMO
Position:
Date Registered: November 08, 2008, 11:55:21 PM

lolz.

What on earth does TV have to do with this discussion? and what the fuck is 4chan, what are you even talking about?

As for the ‘make free time’ retort I guess alley cats are just lower on my list of ‘things to do with my life’ than they are on yours.
I probably won’t ever make it to one. I’ve never been a fan of organized sports. I just prefer riding from A to B and maybe if I’m feeling fruity and not running late pulling a few skids along the way. I have no passion for competition.

we are sorry for being passionate about something, and having fun meeting new people at social events cellardoor.
but don’t ruin the fun for everyone else with your poor attitude. :evil:

It’s worth noting that these events don’t interest everyone who rides fixed, me included. But if you guys love them and want to race, then go ahead and have fun doing it.

And it doesn’t mean that those who choose not to compete are any less passionate about their bikes or riding than you guys are. I compete in other sport and, for me, riding is just about enjoying riding.

Personally, I went along to Skid Vicious to check out the other bikes and see a few crashes. I lost interest after the 5th skid or so, same way I lost interest in MASH after the 23rd guy bombed a hill…

It’s bikes, it’s all good. To each their own. :slight_smile: