Tour De France 2009 [May contain traces of SPOILERS!]

i thought an official thread would be a good idea.

How funny was that time trial yesterday? People crashing left right and centre.
What about the team that ran straight off into the wheat fields!

Oh and Cadel… :expressionless: :expressionless:

Yeah the Bbox crash was great!

Cadel; he’s a lost cause…
Lance; if he gets yellow I won’t turn the TV back on…
Johan is putting something in the Astana water for sure.

I still can’t beleive that Gerrans didn’t get selected…

Never really seen any use for twitter until now! – some interesting reading (lance has links to other riders with twitter somewhere in his stream – Shleck, Rodgers, etc)

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

http://twitter.com/CadelOfficial

From Mark Renshaw’s twitter:

“Yesterday with 3km to go, Piet Rooijakkers (skil shimano) kidney punched me. Is he a:stupid b:crazy c:disrespectful d:all of the above? Cav
1:35 AM Jul 6th from TwitterFon”

Hilarious

That team time trial last night was great, my non-cycling friends were glued to the screen, the course was quite technical and that first left hand corner claimed quite a few

why was ben stiller presenting the yellow jersey last night?

yes, freinds with lance i think. i duno any other reason.

dirty dutchies :wink:

Have you guys not seen Dodgeball?

Please enlighten us dan…

Does anyone know how to make the SBS live streamed website thing work?

if you’re not dutch, you’re not much.

Originally posted Wednesday July 28, 2004 06:00 AM EDT

[i]Newly crowned Tour de France champ Lance Armstrong has won countless fans across the globe, but one of his funniest is Ben Stiller. Stiller, who cast Armstrong in Dodgeball, tells Insider: “It’s hard to understand how someone can do all that on a physical level. But having gotten a chance to know him, he’s a very normal sort of guy.” But not normal like you and me. “I read his book a couple of years ago,” says Stiller. "Here was a guy who had beaten cancer. His story is so amazing that after I read it I felt, ‘That’s incredible. I am so inspired.’ And then I thought, ‘Wow, I really suck.’ "

In Dodgeball there’s a scene where the main character needs to get motivated. "We started thinking, ‘Who is the most inspirational person in the world?’ " says Stiller, “and we thought of Lance. Wouldn’t it be funny if he ran into Lance Armstrong and Lance said, ‘I thought about quitting, too.’” Eager to do some comedy, Armstrong said yes without reading the script. And how was his performance? “He really understood how important it is to play it straight in order to make it funny,” says Stiller. “He underplayed the whole scene perfectly. Most people take him so seriously that they are intimidated by him. But he’s got a great sense of humor about himself.” [/i]

my favourite part in the entire movie…

Lance Armstrong: Could I get a bottle of water. - - Hey, aren’t you Peter La Fleur?

Peter La Fleur: Lance Armstrong!

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, that’s me. But I’m a big fan of yours.

Peter La Fleur: Really?

Lance Armstrong: Yeah, I’ve been watching the dodgeball tournament on the Ocho. ESPN 8. I just can’t get enough of it. But, good luck in the tournament. I’m really pulling for you against those jerks from Globo Gym. I think you better hurry up or you’re gonna be late.

Peter La Fleur: Uh, actually I decided to quit… Lance.

Lance Armstrong: Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I’m sure you have a good reason to quit. So what are you dying from that’s keeping you from the finals?

Peter La Fleur: Right now it feels a little bit like… shame.

Lance Armstrong: Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn’t anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I’m sure this decision won’t haunt you forever.

as for stiller presenting the yellow, could anyone else tell how disappointed he looked that it wasn’t Armstrong he was up there with? i’m pretty sure that was a livestrong arm band he had on too :stuck_out_tongue:

Stiller even had a go on Armstrongs TT bike.

http://tinyurl.com/mw5lnq

this mght be fun for one of the live stages,
get some ‘do a skid’ quotes painted on one of the stages…
http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/livestrong/en_US/chalk_messages

I had absolutely no faith in Armstrong prior to stage 3, and have never liked him in the past (tall poppy syndrome I guess). But when it comes down to it, he’s a pretty exciting cyclist. Sure, his major strength has always come in the TTs, but he’s not afraid to get in a breakaway, do a lot of work at the front of the bunch or win a mountain stage or two. Most yellow jersey holders aren’t willing to do most of that. Granted he’s always had an amazing team behind him too.

Anyway, I’m kinda rooting for the old guy now, for the first time ever. Contador is riding with a bad attitude - doing tiny turns at the front during the team TT, being (arguably) responsible for the split in the peleton in stage 3 after dropping the wheel in front of him…

I’m dissapointed Mick Rogers isn’t doing a bit better overall. Columbia are blowing me away with their strength though. Garmin’s 5 man team TT was impressive too - pretty good tactic.

At the start of this tour I was totally bitter (about Gerrans, about Davis, about Lance’s comeback, etc, etc), but it’s been a pretty exciting tour so far.

+1 me too. After all that’s said and done, he’s still an amazing rider.

Where’s the picture :? “Break in transmission” What the F%ck is that :evil: