Tour Down Under

Thomas Voeckler crashes while out training

X-rays have revealed that French cyclist Thomas Voeckler has broken his right collarbone after crashing earlier today whilst on a training ride near the Adelaide beach-side suburb of Glenelg.

The 34-year-old arrived in Adelaide this morning with his Europcar team mates for the Tour Down Under and at midday they headed out for a short ride. During the ride Voeckler accidentally crashed into a stationary car and was taken to Sportsmed SA and as a result of the crash will fly home to France tomorrow.

Hot day at Glenelg, he was clearly perving.

Probably got his wheels caught in a tram track.

Gurning too hard

Baaaad news

Live stream:
TDU streamed live on Wide World of Sports

GEM (9) coverage:

Sunday January 19 – People’s Choice Classic
• 10pm – 11.30pm (Local time) – Highlights on Nine

Tuesday January 21 – Stage 1
• 11pm to 12am (Local time) – Highlights on Nine
• 1pm to 3.30pm AEDST – LIVE on Gem

Wednesday January 22 – BikeExchange.com.au Stage 2
• 1.30pm to 4pm AEDST – LIVE on Gem

Thursday January 23 – Stage 3
• 1.30pm to 4pm AEDST – LIVE on Gem

Friday January 24 – Bupa Stage 4
• 10pm to 11pm (Local time) – Highlights on Nine
• 2pm to 4.30pm AEDST – LIVE on Gem

Saturday January 25 – Stage 5
• 11.30am to 4pm AEDST – LIVE on Nine

Sunday January 26 – Be Safe Be Seen MAC Stage 6
• 10pm to 11pm (Local time) – Highlights on Nine
• 12.30pm to 3.30pm AEDST – LIVE on Gem

Will Clarke (Drapac) and Neil van der Ploeg (UniSA) have attacked quickly forming a 25 second gap

Live Report Santos Tour Down Under - Stage 1 | Cyclingnews.com

The gap by the two leaders has swelled to 1:30

Live stream doesn’t start until 1pm, same time as the coverage on Gem.

Kinda glad my boss bought in a tv to the office and sat it right next to my desk a few weeks back. Also happy he’s not here today.

Gerrans wins ahead of Greipel

I backed Greipel for the win. Thought he’d get over Menglers, and then was pretty confident that if he did he’d win the sprint. But damn Gerrans is in some form. Dude knows how to win a bike race.

greipel didnt even think he would get over in the main group, he was working for hendo from about 70km out

the group stayed together because the person driving the climb was nathan haas, he is not going to cause too many problems for the experienced sprinters

it was a strange finish

Yeah, I was out of the office, following tweets, and when I read that Hansen was attacking on the climb I figured Greipel was gone. Then got back to a tv when the two Europcar guys were away and saw 5 Lotto guys at the front and Greipel on their wheel. Go figure.

Tips for today? Interesting that Caleb Ewan was the favourite for yesterday’s stage with the bookies at about $7, whilst today, which I think may possibly suit him better, he’s at $50. I’ll take that each-way bet.

Matt Goss is also paying $50 for today. He’s finished top three on this stage finish a couple of times, including last year when he was shit. He may still be shit, but I reckon he’s a podium chance. Depends on who has the best legs on the day for Greenedge I reckon, Goss, Gerrans, Matthews, or Impey.

Team Sky attacking in the feed zone. Marginal gains.

^ like

Jensie!

Cadel is a mad dog and he is going for it. Shades of the Galibier in 2011!

What’s jensie done? From what I can tell with the sound down at my desk is that cadel is on a flyer. Wish they had fucken time gaps or something, can’t tell who is where. I’m only assuming that cadel is in front of porte and gerro…

Carn the chin

in light of rhys’s post: fuck yeah cadel!