Did a search, couldnt find anything (did rediscover an awesome hippie/poem/YouTube thread from 2009 though! do yourself a favour and search ‘troop’!) but I know there are a heap of people knowledgeable in cars/camping/adventuring so my situation is this:
I am interested in a Landcruiser Troopy as a second low km family car/weekender/adventure mobile. I’ve looked at multiple vehicles but am constantly drawn back to the Troopy. I have three kids under 7 so will need to consider car seats / boosters for next few years, assume the 5/6 seat version as most suitable.
For weekend getaways and shortish trips to various national parks I envisage having a rooftop tent for two, bed base for three (rear seat that will fold fwd to make bed space), one big pull out drawer and a pull out 12v fridge. Also an awning or two, basic accessories and equipment. For longer trips we’d be looking at a caravan or camper trailer as well. These short getaways will outnumber long trips 5:1. No hardcore offroad adventures envisaged.
Budget to get rolling is only $15k
- Are there more suitable vehicles for future Australia-wide travel with this number of people that enable viable around town use with quickish conversion to travel-mode?
- Are there years/models/engines/transmissions/previous owners to target? Or avoid?
- Must check parts/areas upon inspection?
- Will it tow a small caravan ok down the track?
- Any suggested dealers/markets/forums to scour?
Many thanks in advance!