Toyota Landcruiser / Troopcarrier thread

you called? :slight_smile:

You might say I have a bit of an interest in Delicas, since buying mine off Heavymetal’s dad about 5 or 6 years ago.

I too have 3 kids, and go camping with them, and wanted to access spots our trusty Magna couldn’t quite manage. Since buying it we have done many camping trips, mostly involving some sort of 4wding either to access the spot or exploring the area.

The positives of a Delica are:
It’s a Delica (duh).
They’re pretty comfy to sit in - mine is the 7 seater so each of my kids gets their own seat, so there is minimal fighting.
The rear seats fold down pretty flat, so with a roll mat on top of them, my 2 eldest kids (aged 12 now) sleep on their own single beds.
The boot space is restricted by having one seat up in the back, but we still have enough room to get all of our stuff in - the longest camp we have done is 7 nights in the turon np.
They can pretty much go anywhere - full lo/hi 4wd system - exactly the same as a pajero or challenger (mitsubuishi super select). Clearance isn’t great at 190mm stock, but I got it to just over 200mm with some bigger tyres (30 x 9.5). That being said I have only been bogged once, and I would have needed 35s to get out of that one. I have a little bit Vic High country, lost of bush track, and beach driving and have never been stuck. Like Rolly I just take a compresser, recovery tracks & lit just in case:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLTLDaHhB5Y/?taken-by=rcoh77

bad bits:
none lol.
jks - pretty heavy on fuel (average about 14/100 around town or 11/100 highway) - it’s 3.0l v6, same as the magna and early pajeros.
Some mechanics freak out about it being a grey import, despite 90% of trasnmission/engine/body & other bits readily available from magna/pajero/challenger/starwagons.
I have a low roof version and it’s about 1.96m high so some carparks are out of bounds.

So I’ve never driven a troopy - but i do love them - however you can pick a mid/late 90s delica now for $5-8k - spend 2 grand getting it lifted with new tures (2" lift & 31s is popular) then have 5 grand in the kitty for repairs if needed.

Thank you sir.

Yeah the 3.3 was a VG the later ones were VQ.
$1200 for a timing belt is cheap in 4x4 circles at least if the motor blew you can buy a import motor cheap, most newer diesel 4x4 motors are $10-$15k to rebuild.

V6 Triton I had was the same, you could only get to the platinum plugs once the intake manifold was off and timing belt had to be done via the water pump.
Like the others have said 4x4’s are expensive.

How many times do you plan on going out in this vehicle each year?

Cost v use v having $x caught up in a depreciating asset etc etc.

Have you thought about hiring a 4wd each year for the family trip?
Without looking at actual prices, I assume you could hire a Nissan Patrol for what it costs you in maintenance/insurance/rego each year on a second vehicle.
Buy your own recovery items to use each year, every 6 months and then continue on life as required.

pretty sure taking a rental offroad voids any coverage and invalidates agreements… at least from any of the standard rental places. heck you have to say you arent going above the snowline most times.

of course, if you fail to mention this when you rent :wink:

Saw a hire defender on the road the other day. Well equipped with roof top tent and all.

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-5030133/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1997-mitsubishi-delica-4x4-automatic-turbo-diesel-camper?spr=true

could be a bargain for someone!

So tempted.

Ha, Sept 17 thread bump!

I certainly don’t rush these things…but after 12+ months of following the marketplace I’ve just put a deposit down on a very straight 1996 Troopy with 1HZ, less than 300k, local with RWC, RV model with six seats, rear drawers, few other susp and exhaust upgrades / mod cons ready to take camping after Christmas, for less than $15k.

Let’s see how this goes :wink:

Change the oil/fluids and filters regularly and it will go for ever.
Just check all the fluids regularly too as it’s new to you and you will get a good idea on how it goes, some of the old Toyota diesels can be heavy on oil use but it’s nothing to be alarmed by.

great sensations, i wanna buy a land cruiser now. RIP money.

hey bricktop how has the troopy gone since you purchased it? We are in the market for very similar year/km/price range.