Trading Rules Changed

With the new forum software we have a bunch of improved features that we’ll no doubt be making use of as soon as we figure out how to use them.

For now, we are implementing some new controls on the For Sale forums, including the following:
[ul]
[li]all for sale threads will be moderated to ensure they contain enough accurate information
[/li][li]replies are not permitted to other people’s posts
[/li][li]only you can reply to your own for sale thread
[/li][/ul]

These rules are enforced by the forum software. If you think you have a good reason to make an exception, please PM a mod or admin for help.

The only forums affected by these changes are Frames, Parts & Complete Bikes.

Follow the format below, and include any other relevant information.

If you know the brand/model then say so. If you don’t, then say so. Include as much information as you can, particularly including sizes/dimensions, etc - that’s important to prospective buyers.

Item:
Item Condition:
Contact Details:

If you have any questions or problems, PM a mod or admin, or start a thread in the pub forum.

Bump. Stickied.

Folks, please use the format shown above or your posts will not be approved.

Maybe make this a sticky in the parts and frames for sale section… People may not see this otherwise.

Done.

Once again sellers, please make sure your for sale posts follow the format above. If not, they will not be approved.

i tried to post a for sale ad in the parts section earlier today but it hasn’t come through yet. the first time i tried it didn’t work so i tried again with the template because i didn’t know where it was the first time. do i keep waiting or pm a mod?

No need to PM. You just have to wait until a mod gets to it.

I’ve posted 3 time since saturday and still no responce. Would it be easier to list on ebay for the masses and link through the ebay section ? And what was wrong with the way things were posted before , if there was’nt enough detail I’m sure a prospective buyer would ask.

I’ve approved your post now. Your first two didn’t use the correct format.

Read the rules sticky and you won’t go wrong.

Can I please ask about the need to block people commenting on threads? i understand they get cluttered with “Pm’d you” messages but that means less messages in the sellers inbox, and like ebay, it helps when people ask insightful questions and perhaps reduces dodgy sales? just wondering as i havent come across this sort of thing before.

i see your point (and dont think it was considered).

unfortunately previous studies have indicated that it also means random threadjacks and pointless posts. the OP is free to add additional info/questions from their PMs (in a similar manner to the way that questions&answers appear on ebay.)

this is one of the cases where the few ruined it for the many…

There wont be dodgy sale posts because snowflake wont approve them if they dont include all necessary information.

Like nikcee said, if you have a suggestion or question for the seller, PM them, and then they can edit their post to include that information if necessary.

I’m trying to moderate as little as possible. That’s what the moderators are for :slight_smile:

we’ll make coffee & erle for sale mods and they’ll buy everything before the posts are approved.

ha so true!

Thats a good idea…

I promise i wont buy everything, but if its my size and MAX it wont be getting approved.

Again waiting to long so please diregard my last attempt for the parts section as there now on Evilbay.

There we go, we just lost one of manbau’s awesome sales

Seriously? It’s still available, just save him as a favourite seller on ebay and duke it out.

The trading forums are provided as a bonus, with no fees to the seller or buyer. Intended to be somewhere to offer ‘brodeals’ to other members, not to make money. The rules are hardly draconian, it’s very simple, even ebay asks you for most of this information:

Follow the format below, and include any other relevant information.

If you know the brand/model then say so. If you don’t, then say so. Include as much information as you can, particularly including sizes/dimensions, etc - that’s important to prospective buyers.

Item:
Item Condition:
Contact Details:

We (mods/admins) don’t sit around waiting for threads to be submitted, so don’t expenct instant approval. That said, if it flies under the radar for more than a day, please, PM one or more of us.

If all this is too hard, then you can always take it to ebay and pay the fees, as manbau has done.

Ok, I just logged into the Admin control panel and found a huge number of posts awaiting moderation. I’ve approved the majority with small changes to them, have deleted manbau’s ones now that they’re on ebay(unsure why these weren’t approved, content was fine, must have been missed in the flood of other posts, my apologies) and a lot of replies to FS threads.

Sorry guys but this new system is a bit shit. A couple of issues I have noticed:

1. Delayed approval (and often quite delayed). This is a bit of a disincentive to sellers. One of the reasons I put things for sale up here is to move them fast – eg if I don’t have a week to wait around for ebay. It’s also a bit annoying for buyers who like to keep abreast of what is available, and occasionally jump fast on hot items.

2. No “New Post” activation. I’m a lazy user, so I click on the “New Post” link to see what happened since my last visit. For sale threads that have been approved don’t seem to activate as “new posts”. Again, as a buyer this is annoying as you can miss new threads easily.

3. No “unread” or “new” highlighting. Ordinarily a new thread comes up in Bold, which makes it easy to identify. But the approved for sale threads aren’t coming up bold. And, where a whole bunch of threads get approved at once it is hard to see what is new and what is old. I find this sort of thing inefficient as I like to log on and have a quick scout on the site during coffee breaks etc for new threads.

4. No email notification of new threads. This is something I like for the “Parts” section. I used to get emails every day showing an update of new or modified parts threads. The new approved thread system means I haven’t been getting any emails. Again, this is an efficiency issue for me.

I understand the changes have been made in order to deal with the detriments of thread-jacks, pointless posts, etc. But surely this is a weighing and balancing exercise – and for me the detriments associated with the new changes outweigh the detriments of the old system, with not much associated benefit.