Tyres

Ah, see Brendan?

I too, am not happy that most tyres are made by exploited asians.

I think high end continentals are german made…not sure about gators though.

Personally I think gators are alright in the wet (sure did beat the rubino pros I once used)… the sidewalls turn to shit though (i have seen this happen in every gator I have used, standards, in some gator pros and even on my 26inch commuter with gators).

I would personally look into higher end continental… or anything that isnt made in some outsourced factory

Veloflex… Made by italian children instead…

fuck dude, have you seen the news lately? italian unions would never stand for that - and those dudes strike at the drop of a hat!

Actually I heard they are the guys who used to make Vittoria tires before they moved to manufacturing in thailand

i heard that too. therefore, veloflex tyres have soul, whereas vittoria tyres no longer do.

CBF’d reading all the way through. I use Rubino Pro Slicks as front tires on all my track bikes and on my roady and have nothing but praise for them. Little bit sketchy in the wet but a bloody good allrounder.

Sime have you ridden the s-works clincher?
Is it a race only tyre with no puncture guard?

Sugarkane i can only see the veloflex carbon in a tub
The only tyre i can see with any guard is the master.

Whilst i think most everyone here is genuine and well meaning in their opinions and experiences I think it amounts to nothing as nobody here has performed tests back to back, under the same conditions, with a power tap, and over the same roads. + a lot of people aren’t very subjective and haven’t ridden many different tyres to qualify an opnion.

For that reason I post a sample article of bike quarterly. www.bikequarterly.com/images/BQ64TireTest.pdf
There are several issues that go into more evaluative testing and have data for comparison. The above is a general overview. Other magazines have done tyre tests but these are the first that I’ve read that make sense and iinformative to read. Either subscribe or borrow some back issues pertinent to tyre testing.

the corsa 22 is the ones i used in the clincher format…

and they are not 180g more like 210-220g

1000% improvement over the gp4000s i was running in terms of grip and general feel…

biggest problem most people have with any tire is over pressurisation… 120psi is way to much but most people think that higher pressure = faster tire…

unless your my weight and run 19-20mm tires then forget about it…

i run 22mm tubbies, weigh 85kgs ( lots more than most of the crack heads round here ) and run 90-95 up front and 100-110 in the rear.

spirito posted a nice pdf a while back that ya’ll should read it really lays it out nice and simple like…

basically too much pressure = tire fighting the road ( bouncing not rolling over stuff ) which equals way less grip, speed and confidence

i have friends who are in the 60-70kg bracket and insist on pressures around 120psi… and they wonder why they get front wheel chatter in fast down hill sections

Interesting ill look at it.
I run 100 front and rear but might rethink this.
I have veloflex records on the track bike and love them,
I wouldn’t dream of taking them or the corsa’s on qld roads.

Yea been in the land of ‘lets throw some glass bottles out the window of the old ute’ makes tire choice a bit more basic…

You don’t get big mileage out of the veloflex but 6k is 8-9 months for a front and 2-3k is 3-4 months for a rear for me…
that’s fine the gains in grip and confidence to push it pretty hard in any weather

I’ll try and find a link to the PDF

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ZWgL2rfF5jkJ:www.bikequarterly.com/images/TireDrop.pdf+tire+pressure+pdf&hl=en&gl=au&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjKVud7eUJoxkmHAmMIYEP25lEgxIhq88L2HIR8_IqtcWkk23e9j5NKhzNNrzUwippPG-yhJ0NSX6t7evJFV4EhcAnMD1qqCuLKFJ752E6ved3TpJl1IXmCByf7cy4tOSDpkNEm&sig=AHIEtbQinhtY4X_545h_rtnUrihkWZwNRA

And this one explanes stuff a little more

http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

i found the fortezza tri-comps to cut easily but were some of the best ‘road feel’ tyres i’ve tried properly.

both times i had to ditch them after slashes in the tyre happened. this was in canada where flats from normal small road debris were far less common (bottle/can refunds = less glass on the road) so i cant comment on overall puncture resistance. but it was enough to steer me away.

i’ve had great luck and experiences with panaracer tyres. the messenger t-serv would be my permanent choice if you could find it for anything resembling a decent price. their higher end rubber is quite nice… but there is often a price premium (which wont worry you trigger :p).

one day blakey will wear me down and i’ll try some of his fancy tyres :wink:

The fancy Grand Bois’ he rides are made by Panaracer :wink:

Damn straight they are.

god it’s annoying when SK says something sensible…

The problem with fast supple tyres is that they’re a, expensive b, wear out quickly and c, flat easily. Apart from that they’re great. Therefore we should all ride around on these:

Ah shit I forgot they’re made by a 9 year old…

I’m commuting on Schwalbe Big Apple 60’s at the moment. They are the funnest tyre I’ve ever been on.

Depends how lucky you are.

My Sonik came with Vittoria Diamantes and while I ripped the rear off quick smart for street use, I left the front on with a view to changing it whenever it inevitably shredded on account of glass and the usual shit one encounters out and about… must have been at least 9 months before a small sliver of glass finally made it’s way through. The first 3 day tour we did down the byron hinterland ages back, I had a spare tube slung over my shoulder cause I figured I’d be needing it and would make for a much faster change if I didn’t have to dive into the saddle bag - but it continued to defy the odds