Upping the tech game

Anybody in other cities noticing a trend in making new trails almost always pretty techy?

I think Majura is raising the bar in the ACT… since their plans were released, Stromlo added a couple of very nice, difficult XC spots out the back (I think thats the order it happened, black snake is only about a year old?), and now even Kowen has added a nice, difficult climb (stairway to heaven). Its awesome, gives us mortals something to spend the rest of our lives trying to master, and I guess youngsters having these trails around will be prepared for just about anything.

And it makes me think even more about a nice XC dually. Hei Hei Trail DL, want WANT! Its also making SS either a bit restrictive in these spots, or making gear selection harder.

Not really here in Melb. I think if anything trails are getting less tech.

I don’t mind as I’m not a very tech rider but I think everyone likes trails that are hard but you can still clear regardless of ability so I can see the positives in making things more tech. I can handle the odd walk.
And tbh I like fun non tech trails like Buxton.

Yeah, I love it and it’s also making me think about getting a XC dually (suggest me one!). I wonder if it is linked to how much more technical (and shorter) the world cup XC courses have gotten. I’ve noticed they’ve smoothed out the outer loop at Bruce a bit but I think that’s reasonable given the new descent.

If I can find a 100mm aluminium dually frame I could swap everything over and make my Cell SS…mmmm.

I struggled on some parts of Auto alley and went over the bars on the last jump on Rock Lobster at Majura on Saturday. I can’t clean any of the decent doubles either which irks me (similar feelings on vapour trail/barry). Ezy has pointed out a gnarly rock roll near blood rock that he rode with Andy Blair, wouldn’t touch it with a 400mm thompson (maybe a Reverb/Lev though).

Giant Anthem.

But you’ve got more knowledge and skills than an entry level rider, so it’ll come down to your budget, love of brands, 1x/2x requirements and wheel size.

Black Snake has been there for a VERY long time but it just didn’t get ridden much. They then built the back half of the track with the reward of that really nice rock ledge that you roll down that spits you out the back. Black snake gully is great though, I could session that all day to build solid tech climbing skills and line negotiation. We have also had the world cup climb at Stromlo for a while now that is difficult and i haven’t been able to clean yet.

I love the challenge that comes with tech riding.

Nope (or at least that I’m aware of). But there isn’t a major amount of new trails going in in Melbs. Haven’t ridden plenty gorge yet, but i’ve heard its got a bit of tech (relative to YTs and Lysty).

Ah ha! So where did it used to end?

I was thinking of all the bits along the yarra trails that when they are ‘fixed’ they are smoothed out or new easier lines added.

It’s hard to explain, but towards the end it now forks - to the right is the old track, and to the left is now a very tight switchback climb that spits you out across the fire road to the rock wall.

Once I get back on the bike I will show you around this area, its amazing.

Ah yep, I got it. The climb left is fucking tough as nails! Hopefully getting bedded in a bit since last time I was there.

my take is that they are two different steps. Bruce and co smooth the trails out to reduce ruts and erosion. local punters take crap lines and create easier sections. louey was saying that bruce prefers harder stuff out there.

Daisy Hill here in Brisbane had 2 trails remade about 6 months ago which ended up more flowy with rollers, mellow doubles and berms. I noticed Cornubua has a similar reasonably new section the same so I guess things are different up here.

yeah, thats interesting… I guess for the gravity trails things may be getting more flowy rather than slower and rougher, but maybe the XC is getting harder here… but maybe I’m overgeneralizing, too. Sounds like lots and lots of flow trail being put in all over the place.

This is the techy climbing trail that we are chatting about at Stromlo

//youtu.be/uwDi2jpCT9k

an aussie xc nationals level rider told me he practiced weeks on that climb before a nationals. He got it down to only having to ‘dab’ once during the climb. I heard someone in CBR can do it ss?

Jeebus perhaps?

I guess it depends which gear is your single one. Its not really the first ramp that stops me, but all the techy shit with no momentum afterwards. But i dont get to it cos the first ramp stops me, contrary to any other stories i tell.

that last hump on the 1st traverse bit gets me. Obviously I need to be a lot stronger as I always spin out on my granny gear. I think I have tried it seated, standing, fore/aft, I have only cleared it once. At the worlds I saw a kiwi under 18 clear it bare foot in between races. Oh well :).

We should all get together and have a tech session on the world cup course/black snake. I’ve cleaned the first bit maybe once, haven’t ridden down the waterfall thing, too scared (though I think I could do it now). Had similar issues on the last rollover on the 1st traverse part. I’ve ridden the Hammerhead B-line all the way down and that was rowdy enough for me haha.