WA Road Traffic (Bicycles) Regulations 2002

Following on from some of Prawza’s comments the other day, I had a look at the above regulations within WA.

Take a look http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_reg/rtr2002290/index.html

Points of interest, in particular for fixed gear riders.

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 6

6 . Brakes
A bicycle must be capable of being braked by either or both of the following means —

(a)    an effective foot brake operated by turning the pedals in the reverse direction; 

(b)    an effective hand operated brake fitted to the rear wheel having the operating handle fixed in a position providing for convenient operation. 

Interpretation: It stipulates “effective foot brake by turning the pedals in the opposite direction”. Stopping motion on a fixed gear bike by use of your legs to create resistance or a countering force - is that effective foot braking (legally?)? Definitely grey.

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 7

7 . Bell
A bicycle must have a bell or other effective warning device fixed in a convenient position.

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 8

8 . Handle bar
The handle bar of a bicycle must extend not less than 200 mm nor more than 330 mm on each side of the centre of the bicycle and the height of the uppermost point of the handle bar must not exceed the height of the uppermost part of the seat by more than 300 mm.

Interpretation: This equates a legal chopdown size to a 400mm width bar. I personally have never really gone below - say - 450mm?

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 11
11 . Reflector
(1) A bicycle must have affixed at all times a reflector that will effectively reflect red light when illuminated by the headlight of a vehicle approaching from the rear and that reflector must —

(a)    comply with the requirements specified in rule 102(1)(a) and (2) of the Vehicle Standards and have a reflective area of not less than the area of a circle of 38 mm diameter; 

(b)    be mounted on the rear part of the bicycle at a height that is not less than 330 mm nor more than 1 m; and 

(c)    be mounted vertically and facing to the rear in such a manner that the light reflected from the headlight of a vehicle approaching from the rear is clearly visible to the driver of that vehicle. 

(2)    The reflector required by subregulation (1) may be in the form of a reflecting lens fitted to the rear lamp. 

(3)    If a bicycle is being ridden between sunset and sunrise, it must have affixed, to each wheel, 2 yellow side reflectors complying with the requirements for reflectors in Australian Standard AS 1927-1998 ( Pedal Bicycles — Safety Requirements ) and Australian Standard AS 2142-1978 ( Specification for Reflectors for Pedal Bicycles ). 

(4)    If a bicycle is being ridden between sunset and sunrise, it must have affixed, to both sides of each pedal, yellow pedal reflectors complying with the requirements for reflectors in Australian Standard AS 2142-1978 ( Specification for Reflectors for Pedal Bicycles ). 

(5)    A bicycle must not have affixed a reflector capable of reflecting red light in the forward direction. 

Interpretation: Go into any LBS these days. How many bikes do you see that ride off the shop floor without suitable reflectors? I dunno if Ive ever seen a bike priced in excess of $1000 with a reflector fitted?! K-Mart specials are all over the reflectors though!

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 12

12 . Lights
(1) If a bicycle is being ridden between sunset and sunrise —

(a)    there must be attached to the bicycle a lighted front light showing an unbroken white light that is clearly visible at a distance of 200 m from the front of the bicycle; and 

(b)    there must be attached to the bicycle or its rider a lighted rear light showing — 

(i)    an unbroken red light; or 

(ii)    a red light that flashes regularly at the rate of not less than 60 per minute, 

visible at a distance of 200 m from the rear of the bicycle. 

(2)    The vertical distance from the ground to the centre of each light referred to in subregulation (1) is to be at least 330 mm. 

(3)    In addition to the light required under subregulation (1)(a), a front light showing a white flashing light may be attached to a bicycle or its rider. 

Interpretation: Enough said. Stands to reason.

ROAD TRAFFIC (BICYCLES) REGULATIONS 2002 - REG 15

15 . Offences
(1) A person must not ride a bicycle on a road unless it complies with these regulations.

Penalty: 4 PU. 

(2)    For the purposes of section 102 of the Act — 

(a)    the offence in subregulation (1) is prescribed; and 

(b)    the amount of the modified penalty for the offence if it is dealt with under that section is 1 PU. 

(3)    Despite subregulation (2), an alleged offender against subregulation (1) who is under 14 years of age is not to be dealt with by way of an infringement notice and modified penalty. 

Interpretation: A penalty unit is $50.

Learn anything new???

An unbroken front light?

I always have my front (and rear) lights flashing.

All bikes sold from bike stores, whether they are a Dunlop or a Willier must have a bell and reflectors attached.

I’m well aware of that fact. I was highlighting non-compliance!

I thought if the bike was for “track use only” it doesn’t need refelectors, bell, etc?

i thought all bikes for racing use were exempt. ie track, and road bikes.

If they are for racing use, shouldnt that mean that they are only found on closed circuits for racing and then these rules wouldnt apply?!

Isn’t that like saying Mark Webber can take his Formula 1 to the shop to get some milk?

… I should have opened this thread by stipulating that this regulation only applies to the use of bicycles on a ‘road’, as defined in the road traffic code (in essence, a road is any space between to fencelines - ie. Carriageway, footpath, curb, verge, etc - unless otherwise stated)

This is WAs legislation. Individual states will vary!

A velodrome is not a road - no need for conformance.

A road race - unsure. Is the road closed? Is it deemed as being a ‘special place’ during an event, so exemptions may apply??

well he does (to my knowledge)

Out of everything, I personally rank Helmets and Lights most important.
Working night shifts, I can’t state how freaking important they are to have, without them you instantly become invisible. Helmets are self explanatory, yet too many people think they’re too cool for them, I’d wear a helmet just for the sake of not getting fined! easiest way to save 50 bucks!

The law is a bit blurry around the area of brakes, I think it was directed towards coaster brakes and cruiser bikes where speed wasn’t really a problem. Totally different story when it comes to track bikes though…

The same applies for a bell. “Effective warning device”, some say your voice is good enough, but if you ask the Brisbane boys you’d get a different story, ala global guts.

My bike is illegal in many ways, but as long as you don’t looking for trouble you should be fine. Cops have far better things to do than chase after cyclists all day.

Yeah, I feel the same way regarding lights and helmets. I always use both.

If you don’t act like a dick, have a helmet and lights, cops in Adelaide have no real reason to stop you.

The amount of times I’ve ridden straight through breath test stations on my brakless fixed and no one’s batted an eyelid.