WestcoastPete and the Awesome Mawson

That’s great!

Shared in the SJ thread, but should be here too.

http://www.pannier.cc/journal/the-mawson-trail

Bloody amazing Pete - I have a real soft spot for that website. It is everything I could ask for, very informative and designed so well. Glad you are a part of it now :slight_smile:

Well the Mawson trail (S-N) was an awesome experience! Just got back into town last night so will be a little while to go through the hundreds of photos and update my blog…

Of note - I found the 11 days were ample for me - this included two short days of ~30 km either side of Wilpena pound. As I hadn’t been to the Flinders Ranges I wanted to and did walk up Ohlssen Bagge the afternoon I arrived in Wilpena Pound and St Mary’s peak the next morning before continuing north to Middlesight Water hut where spent the following night.

Happy to report not one flat for the entire trip! So although the Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB bike tyres running regular tubes weigh a ton I am happy I went with these. Given everyone’s comments about thorns along the Bundaleer channels I nearly didn’t ride along there. But made it into Spalding unscathed along the first section of the Channels so thought I would continue the next day… Though was a particularly stressful section - stopped and checked my tyres at every gate stop (there were numerous gates!) plus at other random times along that section. Was my least enjoyable part of the whole ride and a huge relief when I saw the end of the Channels sections!

Weather could have been better, especially the first week where we has some very strong westerlies blowing which made the sections heading that way a real slog! Plus some heavy rain - a particularly heavy shower 20km before Laura made one particular 10km section a nightmare. The famous mud stuck to everything - stopping me a number of times as the mud built up around the front wheel and fork. Took well over an hour to cover 10km having to stop and unclog the mud before trying to roll on…

Glad I took the MTB - impressed how you took fully loaded tourers through there. Some of the sections were particularly rough! I ended up riding all of the trail including the super rocky descent past Hawker other than 3-4 HAB sections day one.

Would recommend the ride as a great introduction to those wanting to try some longer off road touring; given it is a little like a painting by numbers tour with maps and regular signposts and plenty of towns for possible accommodation, food and water stops along the way.

Bloody ripper!

Looking forward to the pics.

Photos from my little point and shoot digital are nowhere near as nice as those from your Widelux!

Took the Overland after seeing that you did. Was the much better way to get there and back… Just rode to my local station and into Southern Cross and back. Took a little longer than driving but without the additional stress and costs and worrying about where to leave the car a couple of weeks.

Definitely got me keen on touring after discounting it all these years. I will be doing more trips in the future!