What to do with an early 90s Apollo MTB?

Yeah. What Carlin said.

Thank you Carlin and Pete. I do have the wheel, and I did try to jam it in there, but being a cautious person I decided not to brute force it. Might try the following method to do the cold set on the weekend:

Meanwhile that wheel I bought is conspicuously silent when freewheeling, which will warrant more investigation. Nonetheless 135mm ig going to be the way to go. Thanks again!

seconding jam it in or cold set. no biggie.

some shimano freehubs are silent clutch. don’t sweat it, not everything is angry bees.

Will get over the analysis paralysis, sort it, jam the wheel in, and ride it. I am sure happiness will ensue.

Yeah shimano are nice n quiet, good for quiet rides out of town :slight_smile: Stick it in and ride! What wheel did you get? and where from? I need to get a new rear for my 26" rim brake mtb

Bicycle Frame/Hub Spacing I used this same method with a 531 road frame.

I call a spade a spade and a shovel a frame bending tool

Actually bought them about 2 years ago second hand from some guy. Alex 2100 rims on unbranded disc hubs. Front wheel has been fine so far, and we will see about the rear once I have spaced the frame out.

Meanwhile I bought the bloody Zee chainset. Worth more than the bike, but the happiness it will bring in as part of the build will be worth it.

An update! Build mostly complete, with the following changes to the bike:

• New Zee chainset and Hollowtech II BB
  • New Tektro cantilevers and nice straddle cable setup
  • New and brake levers
  • New Funn grips
  • Second hand riser bars
  • Jammed the wheel into the frame, as cold setting to get from 130mm to 135mm was too challenging
  • De-greased the shifter pod so it would actually work again

Outstanding items:

• Cable up rear brakes
  • Fit the bar end caps. I just can’t get them in there :frowning:
  • Fine tune shifting again
  • Maybe replace saddle
  • Maybe fit some big flat pedals (anybody got any?)
  • Enjoy!

The photos are a little overexposed, meaning you can’t see how banged up the frame looks, but I like the combination of banged up paint and nice new components. Some may notice that the tyre labels aren’t aligned with the wheel labels, which themselves are deliberately not in line with the valve hole. I’ll fix this if and when I can be bothered!

Are those 200gs push-push shifters? Memories!

tell me more about the brake levers. What’s the red bit?

def get some big flat pedals, VP do a nice basic one with a thin profile.

You have a keen eye! was a full 200gs drivetrain until the rebuild.

The red part is a sprung quick release to help get a wheel out. If you push it in you release a centimetre or two for extra clearance.

Tektro FL-740: https://www.tektro.com/products.php?p=73

Will check it out. Much prefer riding clipped in, but this is meant to be a bike for casual rides.

That’d be really good on the back wheel!!

Interesting, thought it may have been a park brake type function. Only really required for campy road calipers, but useful for narrow rim/fat tyre combos that can’t unhook a straddle easily.

Look for something like VP-535, VP Push N1, VP 539 Push In 2 / Push N2.

Or get some sweet odysseys or similar in ridic colours.