What tyre do you use and why?

Question- what specific Rando do you guys use because Wiggle stock about 4 or 5 different models.

I’ve ran these ones. $23 wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Vittoria_Randonneur_Tyre/5360025223/

Gypsy beat me to it…

Cheers- And the rolling resistance is okay for the size?

i’ve been on the soma everywear and they’ve been holding up pretty well, skid nice and grip well. BUt they’re squaring off MASSIVELY becasue of the extra rubber which is starting to concern me a little. But they’re expensive i was lucky-got them to throw in for free at LBS. Sounds like gators are the next tire though.

I rekcon they are fine. Only got one flat riding on them, that was from an industrial size staple :-o They are nice and beefy and when they wear down they start showing red. Thrash em to the canvas no worries.

Soma’s are good, but they got shithouse side walls. They really need to re-design them.

I got 2 randos, 2 rubinos and a 650c gator for $100 delivered. That is mental. If the dollar gets much better I might stock up for the next year or 2.

So all this talk about the best tyre for skids / punctures. What about the front, what’s super grippy,has decent puncture protection and is slick ( i just like the look of a full slick).

I’m currently running a Michi Carbon but what else is good?

You want a wonder tyre that does everything! :lol:

My understanding is basically the harder the compound, the better the durablility/puncture resistance, but grip is compromised.
For example, Gatorskins are awesomely durable and puncture resistant, but I wouldn’t call them ‘grippy’. In the wet Gatorskins are really slippery.

I’ve found the Carbon really good in almost all conditions, one of them cut up really bad after a week but the other 2 I’ve had have been great, no punctures except pinches on missed gutters :frowning:

I’m looking at rubino pro slick, or Evo CK/ CX.

Maybe i’ll just stick with what I know :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re race tyres- soft, great grip and light. Durable- probably not… :expressionless:
But then again I don’t have a great track record with punctures :evil:

I’m running a foldable conti gp4000 on the front. It was a pretty expensive, but i feel much more comfortable riding with that on the front than i did with gatorskins.
new favourite tyre. and they are cheap on wiggle also… everything is cheap on wiggle!

What’s the link for cheap tyres on Wiggle?

That website is MASSIVE

there’s a specials link on the front page (i think). Or just search for what you want. Randos are cheap, gators are cheap, rubinos are cheap. Heaps of cheap stuff…

i’ve seen the rubino pro slick (as a front tyre) go out from underneath people in the wet.

IMO a bit of extra traction on the front end is worth staying away from a ‘slick’ and paying the additional rolling resistance price. :wink:

+1 for the gp4000 on the front - found it to handle well in all conditions, no punctures in 2mths @ 200 odd kms a week.

was ok price when i bought a pair - $120 delivered from ebay

Just a question about Wiggle- are the prices listed in AU$ affected by the AUS-UK exchange rate?
I ask because the AUS-US is getting very strong in our favour. When the AU$ is strong against the US$, is there a relationship to how the AU-UK exchange rate is?

Yes, the AUD prices on wiggle are affected by the exchange rate.

There would be some positive correlation between USD/AUD and GBP/AUD currency pairs.

If you are asking: is the GBP/AUD exchange rate strong now? The answer is yes.

Semi-related…

We ordered two Kryptonite locks (Evo mini’s) and three Knog Gekko lights from Wiggle.

Everything was just thrown in a box, no padding, one of teh boxes teh lights come in was ripped open etc… If shit wasn’t so cheap and postage so free, I’d complain more.

Any recommendation for durable combination on normal roads riding around Melb (carlton-city) ? And I don’t skid (yet, because i’m noob :oops:)

Gotta change the tyres for the mall3t, or should i thrash them first?