What's your biggest bike stack?

Here are some photos, their a bit shitty because they were take with a phone, but you get the idea.

Bone makes a break for the atmosphere.

Stone entered my hand near my thumb and had to be surgically removed

The last thing i remember thinking was this is gonna hurt. Then it was just earth, sky, earth, sky. PAIN!

You’re clearly on some happy drugs or NQR in some way cause I wouldn’t be typing with half a finger on fixed.org if this just happened to me.

Good luck sleeping/changing dressings for the next few weeks.

I’ve had a few big crashes racing and it’s the first few days that are the worst, after the adrenaline wears off and reality sinks in.

Make sure they put second skin on to seal it or there’s an awesome mesh type dressing that doesn’t need replacing. The scab forms into it after it weeps for a week. You can dab clean it in the shower and eventually it just falls off when the scab is done.

May the force be with you.

Yeah I must say these new-age dressings beat the hell out of the old wire brush, detol and band aid treatment. My wounds healed in half the time after my last stack by using second skin.

This is the part where you
[ul]
[li]endorse helmets[/li][li]advocate private insurance and/or ambulance cover[/ul][/li][ul][li]post hospital pics tick[/ul][/li]
get with the program!

Okay: about ten years ago I got doored (Centre Rd Bentleigh) and went over the top. Then the ‘helpful’ driver shepherded me into a pub and made sure I had a beer in me before we left the scene, ‘for your nerves’. Moar like so he could get a bunch of witnesses to say I had been drinking, officer. Went to BV for assistance, they sent the first (free) legal letter through Maurice Blackburn, nothing. No real injuries but it left me shaken and put me off cycling/commuting for a while.

There should be a wiki listing the dodgy shit people do to get out of admitting they made a mistake. I should have known something was up but hey, I was still young and in shock. Mind you, when I went over a car in the city in '07 I forgot to make sure the cops attended - and the driver had the ‘common sense’ to ring her partner, who definitely advised against it - or spoke to the cops herself, and they decided between themselves that it would have been too much bother - funny that. All I thought when I knew we would collide was EJECT EJECT EJECT (played too much Falcon 3.0 as a junior) and I jumped as high as I could, don’t know how I unclipped. Still connected with the windscreen, went base over apex, pancaked on the ground behind the car, and all I have to show for a head-on with a car doing over 60 is a scar on my shin, from the windscreen wiper I think. The one on the other shin from accidentally unclipping from my SPDs is longer :frowning:

Funny thing about helmets, the skull has had millions of years of R&D. There’s not that much research out there on bike accidents and blunt object trauma - nobody wants to be in the control group, I presume - how do we know the injuries we receive are lessened or worsened by helmets in these kinds of accidents? Any helmetless heroes feel like a case study? edit: I’ve heard they can increase the angle your neck’s at if you’re colliding with the ground, although they do absorb that fatal kind of brain smooshing. Yes. So what point’s a saved brain with a fucked neck?

Snail: Were you at fault? Might be why you were saying sorry. fuck.

Cyclists are ‘invisible’ to drivers because their ‘driving vision’ and awareness - well the majority of them I reckon - is only ‘calibrated’ down to objects the size of motorbikes - and even then, motorbikes have to have their lights on in the daytime (is this still true?). Anything on the road the size of a cyclist is usually a pedestrian - and they either stand still, or move perpendicular to the flow of traffic.

Now I’m wondering if I need lights on during the day. It’s not like having a second set of AAs charging through the week is going to break the bank. It’s one thing to expect motorists to be on the lookout for cyclists - but it might be more realistic to do more to improve your visibilty - if only to reduce the severity of anything like this happening to me in the future. Wait, what was I thinking, fukken cars, get off the phone dickhead blah blah blah

does JKLP stand for Just Kidding, Love Pain? Holy crap. Get well soon. That latex based second skin stuff is $80 a box at pharmacies - do you have any cover?
Jesus Krist, Long Post

Been hit by four cars on seperate occasions, most low speed (under 50kph) and all hit and run. On two occasions I am certain they knew they’d hit me as well. Which scares you more, a driver who knows that they’ve hit you and still drives off, or one who doesn’t know that they’ve hit you at all?

KK… not as bad as some of them… but here’s my story.

I got hit from behind at 90km/h, and as he went past he hooked my bars and flicked me out of the seat into the air. Landed upside down on my head, thinking wtf? wasnt i facing forward, Then there was the massive bang and i went into a massive roll. I’d have to say my helmet saved my life…

Came to a rest on the side of the road and the pain started to kick in… A chick following pulled over and got the licence plate of the guy who hit me (who eventually stopped 800m down the road). Ambo’s came 40 minutes later, meanwhile it had started to rain… So there I am with a 20cm long 2cm deep laceration in the back of my leg/ass (if you really want i’ll post up a photo of that tooo… :-D, with no painkillers or anything.

Ambo ride with some morphine… and 2 days in hospital with some very fine nurses. I’m left with hardly any gravel rash, 30 stitches, a cyst in my right knee (possibly from when i got thrown into the air), and a written off $7300 bike. Still waiting in the police report to be finalized… They are possible going to charge him. No money yet… Happened 5 weeks ago tomorrow.

(sorry bout the crappy quality pics)

Had a couple of crackers, but nothing like the OP.

Got hit by a postie on a footpath. Postie cleaned me up on a blind corner, then just kinda went on his way.

Over cleared a triple jump at the BMX track and woke up on the ground making the ‘HURR HURR’ noise cause I had broken ribs and had issues breathing. The circle of 10 years olds making sure I was ok was reassuring :wink:

Got touched by a car on Chapel st in the early morning. Don’t know what happened, woke up with a circle of people telling me to stay while the ambo came. Broke ribs, lost skin, blew my shoulder up and generally had to clean Chapel st skank out of wounds for a week.

And finally, clipped a pedal cranking around a corner, lifted the back wheel out to the right, collected the side of a car and went over the bars. Was riding drops and managed to land with the drop right in the junction of thigh and hip, right on a lymph node with my full weight. Grew an orange sized thing in my groin in the time it took to walk the 500 meters back to where I had come from.

:cry: fuck this thread is painful to read, OP, i really hope you heal soon - physically and mentally.
i’ve only had one major spill, not big on talking about it but i was hit by a car on sydney rd, blacked out for a good 15 seconds, fair bit of blood and was sore all over for a few months. still don’t feel to comfortable on the roads.
good news was the frame survived, had the rear wheel rebuilt, new bars, helmet (which may have just saved my life when it split in two) + crank arm.
i still keep it as a reminder.

I’ve got a couple

Hit a corner at very high speed and too wide and had mad pedal strike > dislocated shoulder. would have had bad road rash if it hadn’t been winter and i had not been wearing a hoodie and jeans.

Ran into a cab’s front passenger door as he pulled out in front of me turning right in the opposite direction as i was going > sore shoulder. (i had a green and also right of way)

Splitting cars in the city in high traffic and a red light, pedestrian steps right in front of me, i do a sweet barrel roll and crunch my shoulder and knees.

moral of the story is ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! all these incidents could have been much worse without one.

I got T-boned by a car, went up on the windscreen, scratched my knee and bent my saddle rails and rode home.

Another time I put my front wheel into the front wheel and wheel guard of a bmw 4wd, which wasn’t very wise. I got dragged along doing this sort of endo, then just fell forward, rolled and landed on my feet. I scratched my knee a little and bent my frame.

But, the worst was falling off my bmx down a hill and removing skin from my face, most of my arms, knees, ankles, thigh and then the bmx rolled over me and smacked me in the face.

I wasn’t wearing a helmet in any of them, I’ve had plenty of crashes and always either ride or at least walk away. Never broken anything except ribs, which doesn’t count anyway.

I’ve torn my right ankle open so many times the skin looks like old leather.

I don’t want to start a brakes/no brakes debate, but just out of intrest if anyone else crashed while riding fixed and did you have a brake on your bike? If you didn’t have one would it have helped?

I had a brake on my bike but by time i decided i needed to use it I was over the handlebars. I get the feeling that it’s the same in many cases, if someone or something pulls out infront of you and your going fast enough you become a passenger.

i’ve only had a couple of decent ones:

most recently got taken out by a ute doing a blind u-turn in front of me. dude knew i was there too. went over the front, landed on my head/shoulder on the other side, front wheel tacoed under the car and top and down tubes crumpled. spent four hours in emergency room, couldnt see straight for a while. somehow managed to put pics of the bike up on fixed :stuck_out_tongue:

years ago in brisbane i was riding on the bike path at kangaroo pt cliffs. this family was walking on the bike path, but with plenty of room for me to go past. as i got level with them this 8 or 9 year old kid jumped out from behind, right in front of me. i rode straight into him, my front wheel went straight into his guts, i went over the top (with the bike) and came to a stop about four metres down the path. bars bent, lights smashed, and me bleeding down my entire right side. i got up and made sure the kid was ok and somehow rode the bike home. couldnt move for 3 days afterwards…

Radial head fractures on both elbows, lots of concussions, knocked out twice and plent of skin left on the road and dirt. The elbows were by far the worst cause I had to hold it in for 2 days so my girl didn’t have to do something that no partner ever should :wink: :lol:

Oh, man!

Similar to the above happened to a friend recently. Up over the handle bars and down onto his hands, shattering both his elbows and leaving him unable to tend to some of the simpler things in life.

Good thing he lives with his mum.

Mine wasn’t too bad (rode away sort of) and was a few weeks ago.

Riding real close to the curb in Upper Ferntree Gully a dude stuck his cars nose out of the drive way to check for oncoming traffic, as his dickhead neighbor (his words) had grown a hedge right to the roads edge, totally cutting out his line of site.

As he stuck his nose out, I was coming past and full clip and went sailing over the bonnet still attached to the bike.

Frame and rims were fine but it hit me so hard and suddenly I snapped one of my toe cages in half and nailed both of my knees and shins.

Hurt so bad I puked when I (eventually) stood up.

Dude was freaking and I didn’t get mad, as he truly couldn’t see due to the hedge and was coming out as slowly as he could.

He offered to drive me to hospital but I was ok.

Felt bad when I realised that my bike had dragged across the entire bonnet when I went over it and carved chunks of paint of his shiny new black car.

We both agreed that later that night he was going to burn down the hedge…

I don’t want to start a brakes/no brakes debate, but just out of intrest if anyone else crashed while riding fixed and did you have a brake on your bike? If you didn’t have one would it have helped?

I had a brake on my bike but by time i decided i needed to use it I was over the handlebars. I get the feeling that it’s the same in many cases, if someone or something pulls out infront of you and your going fast enough you become a passenger.

has anyone had a crash without a break? like a big one? And if so if it was not your fault, did you have any chance legaly? or was it your fault according to cops because you had no break?

its B-R-A-K-E

not

Break

come on man, give him a brake :wink:

well my contribution is pretty weak compared to those given above, but i did manage to smash a windscreen with my shoulder. couldn’t use that arm well for a while, but no major damage. other than that, just the usual road rash etc.

Trying to learn leg over the bar (aka the elephant trunk) skids, front foot went into front wheel / spokes, other foot was clipped, managed to go over the bars and bring the whole bike down on top of me. Bruised my shoulder and ribs.

I had a lock ring come off while doing quite a speed approaching an intersection…I was glad I had a brake that day.