What's your biggest bike stack?

A few-hour knockout is no small thing. Any lingering effects?

its B-R-A-K-E

not

Break

you were that bothered to write that? without any contribution to my question? you understood what i meant… but h-a-d to pick up on it?

i even added in punctuation specially for easy reading. i never knew i was being marked on my internet type.

dudes just looking out for you, no worries.

has anyone had a crash without a break?

no.

like a big one?

no.

And if so if it was not your fault, did you have any chance legaly?

no.

or was it your fault according to cops because you had no break brake?

no.

Ride safe.

Take a deep breath.

Have a brake. Have a Kitkat.

Was it the time coming down Mt Tamborine that I took out a car coming uphill hard enough for it to be towed away (radiator, radiator grill, front spoiler and push both mudguards back against the tyres)? Actually no, a lot of road rash and woke up in an ambulance but no broken bones. It hurt worse when the nurses started scrubbing out the road rash without a local anesthetic.

Was it the time when I fell off MTBing and broke my leg in three places? No,the worst bits were when the ants were biting me while my mate rode out to get an ambulance (kids: don’t crash on an ants’ nest) … and when they lifted me onto the stretcher. Not fun, several weeks in hospital and some permanent steel up the thighbone resulted.

It would be the time when I crossed the centre-line on a descent at The Gap and hit the side of a car. That bounced me onto the bonnet of a second car. The nasty bit was when the third car drove around the cars in front and over both legs. Result: broken wrist, shoulder, knee, both ankles, lower leg and thighbone of the other leg. Frightened my wife by suggesting that the foot might be cut off. 6 weeks in hospital, 6 months in plaster, some permanent steel in both legs, minor nerve damage, interesting scars and a limp.

Personally, I reckon the helmets were remarkably little help in each crash, judging by the visible impact damage. YMMV

If you are ever asked which hospital you want to be taken to after a crash, ask for the one easiest for your friends and family to get to, not the closest to your accident. They’ll thank you for the extra 20 minutes you spend in an ambulance.

ok how about I put my question like this:
If I got hit by no fault of my own, ended up with some kind of rediculous injurt like some listed here, but had no brake (happy?) could the driver claim that I was riding an illegal vehical and if I was using a brake, the accident would not have occurred?
Thats really what I was asking.

They have a strong legal case for a reduction in their responsibility for the crash/incident (accident is an emotionally-charged term). How big a reduction depends on a lot of things.

Of course they could. It would also be faaar less likely that the cops would side with you, meaning they might hold you criminally responsible for the accident, and there might even be insurance-related repercussions on you.

I know people don’t like to hear it, but there are also plenty of situations where having a brake makes you stop faster. It’s not the greatest leap of logic to then infer that yes, in some cases, having a brake can prevent an accident. You will of course look less cool in front of your mates.

Screw the cool, it stopped me from having two bastard style accidents today alone. No brake would have ment hospital visits and I have heaps better things to do with my time than that.

No brake no brain it’s only a matter of time sooner or later it’s comatose

Rear ended by a limo on airport drive in Brisbane, Limo was doing approx 80km/h i was punching around 40km/h, bike went under the limo and shattered along the road, i slid along the road till my knee dug in and flicked me to my feet running for safety,
escaped very lightly considering other possible out comes

PICS OF JKB’S CRASH:

this is the funnest thread in all of fixed.org :evil:

iv got some that will lighten the grim mood around here cause they are all my fault.

on my way to tafe i hit a corner at the bottom of a hill without slowing but oneday after it had been raining there was gravel washed all over the road. i hit it, slid out and slammed chin first into the road leaving a inch wide hole in my chin with gravel rash all over the place + my drop bars bent under the weight of my ribs…bruising them.

couple of weeks later i was AT tafe flying down the main driveway featuring speedhumps. as i went to bunnyhop one my back wheel clipped it and sent me over the bars landing on the side of my head/shoulder snapping my collarbone. pulled myself off the road while my class mate walked up to me laughed and went on his merry way

You guys are freaking me out. I ride like I drove my Volvo, slow and safe and with a white hat on the rear parcel shelf :slight_smile:

Thankfully I’ve never crashed my bike… I tasted enough pain when I was a goalkeeper and I decided it wasn’t a flavour I enjoyed…

last night is prob my worst, was coming down st georges rd, about to cross over alexander pde - had a green light so was going through, oncoming driver decided there was enough of a gap to squeeze through a right turn, and didnt see me.

I skidded/slid into the side of the car put my elbow through the back passenger window and caved the back passenger door in with my hip…bounced off and did a stop, drop, roll.
nurse spent 2 hours pulling glass and bitumen out of my arm and shoulder.

bike looks fine, except for a few scratches.
have got a brake, dont think it made any diff tho.

:smiley:

I had mine three weeks ago. Riding along, next thing I know I’m being discharged from hospital only to go home, throw up enormous amounts of blood, and then get readmitted.

Three days in hospital, an ambulance ride, a CT scan, 5 stitches to my right hip and three fractures in my face. Oh, nearly forget the haemorrhaging brain… if I didn’t have my lid on I could be dead, who knows!

Who knows what happened, but I wussed out and flipped my hub around stat.

Now I’m scared when I ride, probably because I can’t rationalize something I don’t remember.

thats scary. you cant remember any of it? how are you 3 weeks after?

Shit, never had anything as bad as any of these posts! Infact, never had anything to bad at all.

I stumbled across these photos before though. Happened whilst making a tall bike.