Which Mudguards ????

If you have tyre-brake clearance then you can use regular fenders if you put P-Clamps on your fork/stays. Human Powered have them for $5/pair, plastic coated with nyloc bolting hardware. These are then surrogate eyelets.

If you don’t have clearance, then get the smaller, less useful strap on ones.

Or, you can do the Seattle/Portland solution, which involves cutting the fender at the brake bridge / fork crown, and using rack stays (flat stainless) to mount them around the brakes.

Pip, you would have seen my black fixie (track frame) with full fenders around. My experience might help.

Dan did the build and had to put a road fork on the front to get sufficient clearance - the fender has a fitting that sits in behind the brake connection (easy as I run a front brake and would work for you with brake holes even if you are riding brakeless). The front fender also comes with a clamp that fits onto the front fork near the dropouts and connects the supporting struts for the fender.

For the back fender the solution was to drill two small holes in the fenders and zip tie them in two places to the lower seat tube and middle of the rear stays. The zip ties are pretty unobtrusive and have survived all last winter until Saturday’s roobaix where one of them snapped on the pave (now fixed). He also drilled a hole in the back rear stay just above the rear dropouts so that the rear fender struts could be screwed into the frame.

The fenders are the soma black plastic onces which work fine despite some others being critical of them.

I’m happy to swing by the Wednesday night ride to show you some time if you want a closer look.

Cheers

Stu

Use cable-ties. It is good enough for me and was good enough for Sheldon.

I just got some Raceblades at lunch. 20% off storewide, so $95 wasn’t too bad (and only slightly more than ordering them from Wiggle). Reckon I might need to file the top of the actual fender holder part though, just slightly, having some clearance issues with my front wheel and downtube.

The real test will be tonight. It started raining around 10 this morning and doesn’t look like it’s going to let up at all.

Don’t bother with mudguards, get these…

RAIN CHAPS!

Got some Raceblades yesterday at Bicycle Recycle, still having trouble getting them mounted properly without them being all bent or crooked or rubbing, or sitting too high, or too low, aaah man.

I had a similar problem with mine, needed a combo of all three fixes below.

You can adjust the height by loosening the torx screw in the clamp at the fender/stay junction then moving the stainless rod in or out a bit.

There should also be 3 notches in the fender to put the clamp in, play with different combos of these to adjust fender line.

You’ll probably also have to bend the arms a bit where the are clamped to the frame.

Good luck!

thread dig… need some help with sourcing timber fenders

have been looking at the Sykes Timber range

chasing any local recommedations for timber fenders, it looks like abbotsford cycles has them and aspirevelo online, but was wondering if any one had any tips to share

bike is a steel gazelle with eyelets, short reach brakes, plenty of clearance aside from the brakes

cheers

Flat fenders suck
Flat fenders will be harder to fit under a brake

Wood veener fenders suck too

ahem

I’ve got about 15mm clearance from my tyre to my brake. What fenders/mudguards should I be looking at? Dropout eyelets available.

For a road bike? What width tyres?

25’s

Twenty characters

SKS Longboards in 35mm for beardo confidence.

Most brands (sks, axiom etc) do a model that is designed to cover a 28mm tyre which should work well on your bike.

Obviously wider the better for guards but the brake arms might be the limiting factor.

Recommend taking the bike to a shop and test fitting the guards beneath the brakes before you buy.

Thanks Beardos.

Is there any issue with track ends in that the wheel needs to slide out backwards? Or is there enough give in them that it doesn’t matter?

is this for the PW? want me to see what i’ve got on mine?

Yeah sure, do you have any trouble getting the rear wheel out?

not if it’s flat…

1 Like

I had a set of these on one of my bikes for ages: Planet Bike Cascadia Road Fenders | eBay

Not sure what exact size these are though. They’re pretty good but, do recommend. From memory i had fuck-all clearance at the rear brake so left the brake bridge bracket off and never had any trouble.

1 Like