which pedals to buy?

back to the pedal question:
as someone was saying, GR9’s are the shit. I use them with kidkilly’s double gate clips and some cheapy double straps and theyre great. supportive, no digging into the soles of my feet etc. toe overlap is pretty big, but that’s only an issue at low speeds and you get used to it pretty quick. i think kookie have the gr9s pretty cheap too.

if you have the cash… why stop short @ RX-1s? royal neuvos are the top of the line MKS pedal and are smoother and more serviceable then RX-1s. i’ve tried both and RNs are the clear winner (for me), but they dont come in the pretty colours that RX-1s do :stuck_out_tongue:

these, superbe pros or old campy record pedals offer a wider forward platform (which is better for ‘sneakers’ should you choose to ride clipped in) and thus more comfort and power.

i ride both clipless and clipped - there are arguments for both depending on your needs/preferences.

I seriously have no idea what most of this thread is about?

If you want a good solid platform, and one you can’t unclip out of :evil:, there’s only one pedal to get:

SPD-R

:spew:

so…anyone who’s riden cleats Vs straps? i’m getting confused with everyone calling clips Vs clipless etc it doesn’t seem to be consistant on here. anyways i’m sick of leaning over and pulling the leather down i want to start riding cleats-seems like ATACS are the preference, but does it effect the way you skid? Like kicking your heel in? and does anyone know the cheapest place to but the ATACS?
And i ride the RX-1-wish didn’t buy them-even though they were cheap, the Royal Neuvos kick arse for a wider platform :slight_smile: still too expensive for street if you buy new though RRP $280 now sheeeshh

how more serviceable? smoother? guessing they use the same bearings.

ATACs are great.

no it doesnt effect your skidz, you adjust quickly

cheapest place is probably Wiggle, or ChainReaction (i havent looked. you can do that.)

buying RNs, or RX-1s is a waste of money unless you buy cleats.

clips = straps
clipless = no straps = cleats

I’ve ridden double straps on GR9s but now I use ATACs. IMO clipless are easier to skid in and better performance all-round. Check out eBay, Wiggle, PBK.

meh. i use rx-1s without cleats and they’re plenty comfortable. they cost me $100, which isn’t ridiculous (used, good nick). granted my average ride is ~20 mins. they allow me to use regular shoes, and yet have foot retention. i’ll admit i have them mainly cos i like how they look. form over function, its the hipster way.

for my commute, i’m using delta cleats which are fine, as long as you’re clipped in. stoopid cheap pedals (with crappy bearings) can be hard to clip into though.

Thanks dude

edit: these ones? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Time_ATAC_XS_Pedals/5360010011/

I just use the cheapest ones. The Time Atac Aliums. ~$66. I have no problems with them and don’t think anyone else does either. Not the lightest but they’re tough.
However you’ll need to spend ~100 bucks to get free postage.

Thanks again,
I need some tyres too. but Ebay has the form $165 delivered.

I’ve had my atacs for a good 4 or 5 months now, and it’s a bit scary how quickly they’re getting worn out. The bearings are going a bit funny, need tightening i guess, and the aluminium body is getting gnarled up from hitting kerbs and stuff.
Makes me glad i didn’t get the expensive composite ones - they’d probably be wrecked by now. (and it’s not like i’m doing any tricks or crazy street antics, just riding.)

strange… ive had mine for 2+ years and have given them a lot of kms. never had a bearing issue… but then i have probably clipped the curb with them <5 times. :wink:

what is hitting kerbs (and stuff) doing to your shoes?

i’ve owned royal neuvos and still have a set of unique royal and a set of campy superleggero and i like the fit and the smoothness of the Rx-1 the best…
i don’t ride in really cheap flimsy shoes and i find them comfortable
plus i have em cause i saw a pair on ebay with alloy mks cages and a set of kashimax gold super sprint straps… no one else bid on em so i got em for $100 au with postage
then sold the kashmax straps on some other pedals to a mate…

you can take them completely to (small) pieces to replace individual parts. from my last check of the rx-1s they didnt offer as complete a breakdown, and my understanding was that the RN bearings were better (and you can replace them really easily).

but yeah… they aint cheap new, but i’ve seen some great deals on used ones as with the serviceability/reliability you can bring them back to new really easily.

I’ve only hit kerbs a few times, but the bearings on both definitely have a little bit of play in them that they didn’t have before. When I get home I’ll investigate that plastic endcap - haven’t worked out the adjustment yet.

I actually have a second set of atacs, much older ones with a different design. Judging by the wear I think they did a lot of k’s before i got them, but the bearings are smoother and have no play at all. I think they might have been better made to start with.

and my shoes are fine, it’s the underside of the pedal that gets a scrape.

alex,

they just need to be tightened.
the bearings in mine were feeling kinda funny, had some play and could feel them “click” when i was riding.

I tightened em up, and they were fine.
Ill show you some time