Which Wheels To Buy

that’s a funny sentence :smiley:

I’ve had some weinnman deep v’s for 2 1/2 years. Paint didnt peel off, decals came off fine, have taken them overseas and ridden them round and put them on and off numerous buses and planes, ride them on street, on and of curbs, potholes, and the occasional shite attempt at poppin it up. So unless you plan on jumping stairs they are fine. I’d like to see a “strength test” between them and velocity’s. As far as everyday use I don’t think anyone would notice a difference. They use the exact same hubs as on Velocity wheel builds.
I upgraded my wheels for the hell of it, nothin wrong with the weinnman’s, i just got a nice deal off OH NAH blogspot dude so I bought a 2nd wheelset.

Did a topic a while back warning about buying wheels from Bicycle_outlet on ebay. Don’t do it. They’re actual bastards. Sent wheels with gouges on the inside of the rim from build and offered $16 compensation or buyer pays return postage (about $40) for refund. They didn’t apologise, acted like morons in communication and accused us of being scam artists in feedback.

Hey, I remember that! There were drilling marks on the inside of the spoke holes, yeah? Why would they accuse you of being scam artists? That’s pretty rough of them.

Hello All
Am new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Miche Pistard wheelset - considering ordering from the states as i found a site listing them at around 260US. They seem rather light around 2kg for the set, but are they durable enough for regular street use etc? - After 18months use my Alex DA 22’s just died, which is more than a little frustrating!

These can be bought from Wiggle for AUD$253.00 including shipping.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Miche_Pistard_Track_Wheels/5360040682/

2kg is not ‘light’. But for a entry level track racing wheelset they should be fine. Miche track hubs have a good rep, whether the rims and spokes are of the same standard I don’t know.

I’ve had a set of these for about 3 months, no complaints so far, got them off wiggle and for the price they can’t be beat

Chances are that in a few months you’ll want to upgrade your wheelset for something that looks good or is stronger etc. Skip the cheap stuff and buy a quality set straight up

They’d be good, but be aware that the stock bearings in the primato hubs aren’t sealed that well against really inclement conditions (eg lots of water/sand/salt). They’d be fine for typical urban hipster use. That said, bearings are a standard size and an easy upgrade when the time comes.

check this out from benscycle - you can build the wheels you want, just have to choose your hub. http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=464

Hey guys,

Newbie here thinking of going SS. Not fixed so am I still allowed in this house? :smiley:

Considering the Weinmens wheels but was wandering what else is needed to complete the wheel. Ie do I need any spacers or lockrings on either side ?

Freewheel 17T Single Speed BMX 1/2 x 1/8
Ritchey Rim Strips 700c Yellow Road Track Fixed Gear.

Thanks fellas.

A normal SS freewheel uses the ISO standard thread, while some BMX freewheels use a smaller diameter thread (so that they can get smaller cog sizes). I’d check the inside diameter of your freewheel first, but if it’s 17T, there’s a chance it will be big enough to have the ISO thread.

If the wheelset you buy has a freewheel thread, then all you need is the freewheel itself. No lockrings needed.

Thanks. Think I have it sorted.

Can I assume bmx brake levers are compatible with say a shimano 105 brakes on a road bike ?

B43’s are super super heavy. I have a B43 wheel set and a hand built mavic tubular rim laced to miche primato hubs wheel set built by Peter Bundy as well. I prefer the tubulars because they are much lighter although not that practical for everyday road riding. Usually i have the B43 on the back and the tubular on the front, trying to keep the weight down. Plus it looks fresh.

Be aware though that the linked wiggle ones are the tubular version.

Tubulars are fast, but you don’t want to use them if your skidding everywhere riding fixed.

Yeah i managed to find some of the clinchers for about 280 Shipped from the states, i’m tossing up between them and a pair of gran compe for 350.

They were my girlfriend’s wheels and she was civil toned and reasonable in correspondence but they were clearly moronic. “We sell our wheels at such a low price so we can’t pay return shipping for damaged products. You should understand that we’re trusting you haven’t broken the wheels yourself (It’s completely clear what’s wrong in the 6 pictures we sent)” etc. etc. I think they may have overpaid her compensation of $16 as a last hope for good feedback but I can’t imagine it being anywhere near making up for their devaluation of the product in regards to a hypothetical resale.

They definitely are, that’s the exact setup I have on my Giant CRX3 so that I can use a carbon fork without vbrake bosses. If you use Vbrake levers with a 105 caliper the braking will be shit. BMX levers have more leverage and less cable pull.

Why go SS? Might as well use a multi speed stuck in one gear. Go all the way and ride fixed. I haven’t had any problems and I’m uncoordinated.

I’m a roadie…says it all - soft.

I bought some flip flops so will put fixed cogs in at a later time.