WI MTB CLD hubs

My theory:
-a spline is a better way to attach a rotor to a hub.
-easier to install
-LIGHTER!!!*** system (w hub) weight I think…
-I could be completely wrong, but from my viewpoint, the industry seems to be heading in the direction of adopting Shimano Centerlock as a road and mtb standard. Just look at the number of manufacturers offering them now- I understand WI, Reynolds, Easton are all doing it- there has to be a reason.

• Weight saving is negligible.
  • is faster to install but 6 bolts are hardly difficult
  • 6 bolts have the advantage of being more fail-safe and trail fixable (who rides with a lockring tool?).

Won’t take over the market anytime soon ATMO.

just get a 6-bolt and take a relax.

how bout this then.

i dont find that compelling.

ease of installation really is a matter of 1 min Vs 3mins, no biggy.

industry going that way… maybe, but at this point in time, you are being severly limited in your wheel build.

weight, only if you can choose centrelock vs 6 bolt in the same hub, which isnt the case for most hubs at the moment, as you can see by this thread.

You can put a 6 bolt on a CL hub but not the other way around?

if you or the shop have a converter handy… and by god, if you are carrying that converter then THE CL SYSTEM IS HEAVIER!!! If it’s in your pocket its also stuffing up sweat rates over a square inch or so of skin, too.

and you will have a hard time worrying a 6 bolt user that they will one day ruin a rotor, go to the shop and the shop will only stock CL rotors.

totes

H, you really have out-Fredded yourself here today.

So much lulz.

Maybe the industry is moving because Shimano aren’t being such dicks about licensing.

Freds gotta Freds

Oh yeah I didn’t mention I am the great great grand son of Mr Shimano, hence my bias.

For realz?

No

Choose hub, fit appropriate rotor, ride.

Haven’t been on FOA very long have you?

Wrong forum.

if we’re not here to debate the merits of bits of bikes, what are we here for?

i should note, i am buddies (electro, actual and historic, in most cases) with the main protags here and reserve my right to thrash out at-time pointless details and make-believe fight all day and every day.

I’m all for these kinds of discussions here. Much less magical thinking involved and actual reasoned contributions. My contirbution is that I’d just pick the hub first and go from there.

Hear hear JP!

Bicycles are quite simple machines really. I find it’s the small details which are often the most fun to tinker and discuss.
And we all know anything hub-related brings out A LOT of opinions. “I bought this in the past therefore it’s the best” logic is one of internet forums most hilarious attributes. And we haven’t even compared anything to Nazis yet so surely the thread still has merit.