Wisemans Ferry Gravel Grind [SYD] Sunday 23 June

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck this looks good! Going to do everything in my power to get along to this!

I’m in for this. If anyone wants to head out via the M2/Old Northern Road, and wants to pick me up on the way through, I’d appreciate it.
M2/Old Northern is probs the quickest way from the city btw.

Anyone feel like picking me up? Rod??

Damn, I arrive in sydney that afternoon!
Have fun and if you head out to the pub or something gimme a shout.

I WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE!

What are you doing in sydtown?

I can get Harry & Jono on the way through. Still deciding between Jono’s c’dale or my SS 29er?

Awesome. Lemme know a little bit in advance so I can get the 25s on there and take it for a test spin.

Can I put 25s on the kyklos?
The Olmo may be able to squeeze something bigger on, but that heavy friction shifting bike may not be fun for that long.?
Thoughts?

Yeah, I don’t know. The SS 29er will be fine and comfortable, I would maybe get the gearing a little higher than for pure off road, but I doubt it would be a problem.

If it helps, I’ll be riding my heavy, friction-shifting commuter with 28mm tyres. The geometry is a little more relaxed than the lemon-lime, it is proven, everything settled in, so there is less chance of rattling something loose on the way, and it is comfortable.

Bob, I’d be going for the more relaxed bike, bigger tyres and a good range of gearing, so long as the friction shifting is sorted and wont slip with all the rattling around.

wow, this does indeed look awesome. Unfortunately it doesn’t sound like a 23c shod roadie will be up to the task :frowning:

I have a couple of options, maybe throw some wider tyres on the gf’s SS and see how I go, or see if I can save my dads hybrid/mtb thing… will know more later in the week! I am super keen!

This is shaping up nicely. I’m looking forward to it, provided I can get my new gravel-friendly bike ready in time. It will only be singlespeed but with 32c semi-knobblies.

I’ll be driving out from Leichhardt and can take one extra.

It’s doable. All the roads are open to traffic and there is nothing that you can’t nurse a road bike through with a little but of care. You will have your hands full on 2 descents, and you will feel some of the corrugations. But that’s all part of the fun.

Try to get a ride or two in to get everything settled down, and/or take some tools and spare bolts. Things will rattle loose on a new build.

But once you are through this it should all be good.

I’d hate to be that guy with the falling-apart bike. The build is nearly finished - I’ll test ride it through the week, then take it for a proper longer ride on Saturday morning.

I’m actually more concerned by my lack of legs. How to the climbs rate compared to, say, Sydney-Gosford?

EDIT: Just realised this is two weeks away, not one. I’ll easily have the bike sorted by then.

I’ll also be on a single speed, and will probably die in the ass at some point. I think I’ll wear my salsa jersey too.

Easier, you’ll be fine. And I expect that a few of us might loose a bolt or two on the day.

eTomato, depending on my level of courage (fitness level is at an all time low) I may take you up on the lift - I’m in Annandale.

Still deciding whether the SS nature boy can take the hills (more so, whether I can take the hills). The 35c Pasela’s should be okay.

Drozzy and Alex, can we form a single speed groupetto and:
A) Be cool
B) Sabotage everyone’s gears?

Lorday’s tips on not losing bolts:
1 - If its a thread, Loctite 243 (go get some)
2 - If it should have a spring washer, make sure it has a spring washer
3 - If you suck at life tape the bolt down

Lorday’s other tips:
4 - Does your bidon slide easily into your bidon cage? Livestrong cockrings and Powerbands (silicon wrist bands) mounted smartly between your frame and bidon cage can act as strap to hold your bidon in
5 - Ride a single speed to eliminate chainslap on your chainsay
6 - Don’t do anything Lorday tells you to do

All over it.

My Challenge Parigi-Roubaixs handled some gravel pretty okay on the weekend, but still tossing up whether to go even bigger…