2014-15 Shimano Ultegra & 5800: Hydro disc and mechanical 11sp shifting

Like Magura did in the late 90s. What were they, Gustav? I didn’t think they were much good back then but the tech must’ve be significantly better by now.

Gustav was a disc.

You’re thinking of the HS11/22/33 (flat bar, canti stud) or HS66/77 (drop bar, crown bolt).

Later versions of all were pretty good. Shakes killed the HS66/77 off.

this appears dead in the water:

//youtu.be/ZIuscGKrLkc

Magura hydro rim brakes still alive and well. Local dealer has a Cervélo TT with them installed.

Magura RT8 TT.

That’s a bit of an overstatement.

Edit: well maybe in Germany.

^ They are better; lower braking effort, less spongy/springy feel (esp rear). But, I honestly don’t think you’ll appreciate it that much, or at least I don’t. It was a ‘no cost’ option on my bike, so I figured I’d give them a go. Quite like the idea of not having to change brake cables too. The recall is a bit of a bummer, but at least I get new shifters after +6months use (probably +12months by the time they actually get replaced).

Yeah, nah. HS33 is a 4 bolt setup used by all the cool trials kids - you know the ones, all slacklines and parkour in their spare time. Magura started shipping a canti stud adapter but the brake performance is pretty average compared to the proper setup.
The Inspired FourPlay (HS33 or disc) or most of the Echo frames still have this setup.

Most of the unicycle frames that are setup for a brake run a Magura 4 bolt setup too.
My mate runs one of these on his 36" uni with two speed hub.

4 out of five ain’t bad.

anyway, here’s some for you H, put them on your rocky mtn
BNA - Australian Cycling Forums • View topic - (MEL) Magura Hydro Rim Brakes & Tektro CR720 Canti’s (New)

I don’t see why you would ever go hydro caliper?
Cable caliper is pretty bloody good in dura ace and sr11 so why add the dramas, I think this is amazing for disc frames though

Aerodynamics. Dura ace and super record… Flags flappin in the wind

5800 is now at the top of my list for consideration on my Kumo.
Chain reaction has prices up (but no stock) and it’s only slightly more than the cheapest 5700 prices I could find from Ribble.

the magura hydro tt brakes are awesome. definitely improve brake feel/power on TT bikes (actually make the rear brake work on a shiv, except it doesn’t do much at 78 degrees witth your weight over the front. also make changing wheels from skinny to fat so much easier.

Magura tt hydro brakes are the most infuriating pieces of shit to work on, hydro rim brakes from SRAM aren’t any less labour intensive, if you bleed them once a year, about the same time you might replace cables, a bleed kit is also more expensive than cables, and then still hope your lever hasn’t leaked a small amount of fluid that then fucks the mechanism up? Negative nelly I know but just cos I can right

agreed, hydro rim is basically a bunch of ₪₪₪₪s at SRAM sitting back watching sales whilst eating popcorn “Hey Bob, we got another one! I can’t believe they are falling for this shit!”

This is except for Asher’s point on TT bikes, even still, brakes behind the BB are going to be a pain in the arse no matter which flavor they are.

Although this Hydro 5800 group looks like a total budget banger, put that on a Disc CX racer/commuter/gravel grinder platform and have heaps of fun with better braking power with affordable consumables (chain, cass, pads, etc.)

Companies are always talking about “trickle-down technology” but it’s pretty sweet to see it happening so efficiently of late.

Except for $205 [i]per lever[/i]​
(That’s an indicative price as they’re not available until August 18).

What did you think would be a reasonable price? There is still mechanical available for those with a craft beer taste and tecate budget.

Haha.
Can’t wait to put this on my Soma and hopefully finally be happy with the braking

I’m not saying it’s not reasonable for what it is is, just that it makes hydro 5800 something other than “a total budget banger”.
Mechanical disc 5800 is pretty cheap though: ~$525 for shifters, fd, rd, cassette, crankset and chain from CRC.

With discs/calipers on top? (soz I’m a disc newb)

Yep, only components mentioned are included in that price. CRC will do a full groupset with rim calipers, hubs and BB too

gotta pay to play… but yeah I agree, this is hard to swallow for ‘105’ level