Advice on a mtb purchase

Yeah. Just gotta wait it out. Thanks for all the advice. You’re all legends.

Just going to throw the Karate Monkey into the mix. I recently got one and it’s a lot of fun and is a super versatile bike (if more monies become available)

2 Likes

Worth the wait, I’m super jealous that y’all got Yarra trails and stuff and WNR looks so rad

Dude. So sick. It’s perfect.

It’s a very different ride from my Occam - but its a lot of fun.

Don’t worry the Yarra trails aren’t that good. And this time of year they are pretty sloppy

Corona caused a massive spike in bike buying! There are pretty much no medium/large entry level flat bar road bikes left in Aus!

But definitely buy a MTB.

1 Like

Shimano Altus derailleurs are out of stock entirely in USA!

Altus! Really? Why them? Because they are cheap and casual?

Go to replacement for every basic bike that was dragged out from under the house and pressed into service recently.

I heard a rumour Commuter cycles have a complete karate monkey rigid for a good price in their garage sale on Saturday. Not sure what size thou.

Edit: large

1 Like

SWOOP ON THAT. SWOOP SWOOP!

Yes. this is a complete sentence. (Computer bot wouldn’t let me post)

Fark. ill be there when it opens!

There’s also a rigid KM on FB Aus BIkepacking for $2200 at

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/736400990434625

Man, i keep looking at that. I just cant go that high. boy its tempting tho…

Also thinking about upgrading my mtb. Recently moved back to the Blue Mountains and although I love the feel of it, I’m tired of pushing my SS On One Inbred up hills. Thinking of buying a second hand Giant Anthem 2 that has popped up in the area, $1950, has a couple of scratches on the controls but can’t tell if its thrashed or just dropped once. Never spent that much on a stock bike with a bunch of tech I know nothing about (hydro/no tubes) so pretty apprehensive!

Anthem is their XC range (as you probs already know if looking). 29er? What year?

I don’t know prices, just look around. Borrowing one to ride first is a good idea to see if you like the feel.

As an aside - hydro brakes and no tubes are pretty easy to work with. I wouldn’t buy a mtb without both these days. New tools are required if you don’t have them already. To do your own brake bleeds you’ll need the bleed kit and fluid (Shimano’s pretty cheap and bleeds easy with the cup on the lever - and mineral oil is safe/paint friendly). Tubeless you’ll need a compressor in your garage, a pump with a chamber, or a separate bottle type inflator (I use a small modified fire extiguisher).

Cant link, but theres a Niner MCR on facebook (vic) $1400, you’ll need a fork. maybe too xc ?

the one im looking at has 27.5 wheels and its a 2018 model that looks totally stock apart from a wtb saddle.

I just went out along a firetrail on the Inbred and noticed my main problems are when im standing and really cranking to get up a steep section im using parts of my lower back that feel pretty cooked, maybe this is good for it though? (my back is pretty cooked from 20 years of lifting boxes for a living and a few million hours playing drums). And I’m thinking more suspension would be good because of all the gnarly sandstone up here being a lot of fun but also pretty exhausting on longer stretches

Well?! Didjageditthen?