Beastie Boys Appreciation Thread

Check your head & Paul’s Boutique for me - but I have most albums on CD, and strangely 2 copies of License To Ill. I don’t have the latest album though.

Do any Sydney people remember they were on a triple bill with AIC & Suicidal. That was a weird line up - i tried to sneak in but got caught and ejected.

check your head/ill communication owned too many copies of both to count. didnt see that gig but saw them as Quasar, billed with jon spencer blues exposion, and high pass filter. they played in ornge boiler suits as a three piece and played nothing but their punk stuff from aglio de oglio etc etc etc. at sydney uni in a tiny hall… in my top five, with rage against the machine(94), faith no more (97)

“Three idiots create a masterpiece…”

This !

The Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn - YouTube

Where do you live? I need to come and touch you.

Did you know they wore Quasar sneakers on that tour? True story.

Image not working? Try here: http://www.beastiemania.com/merch/index.php?title=shoes&band=b#602

…and while we’re on the subject of orange bolier suits, this version of Root Down rules:

//youtu.be/DJjuwutaCxQ

What’s strange about that? :wink:

2nd row of rAdelaide BDO 2005. One of the best bands I’ve seen.
Always on high rotation on the iDevice since I’ve had an iDevice.

hey, sure i live in sydney, said hi to them at when the x-large shop existed in sydney for the gig and heard about the gig then. got tix to both the refactory gig at sydney gig and also the boat gig but sold on the tix to the boat gig cause the refactory gig was so fukin amazing, so much energy and about 200 of us ,no security, on stage, played solid thrash , iknew a few hip-hop headz who here dissapointed and left.

surley there is someone else here who was there?..i even think i got my ticket somewhere in my boxes labled do not open. i think it was in 96/97

i can’t read all of this thread yet, but there is video of me rapping “get it together” somewhere. and probably one of a half dozen other tracks of theirs.

first album bought (ever) - hello nasty
first show i went to (ever) - beasties for the hello nasty tour

last time i saw them was at some fesitval (good vibrations maybe?) at the smmb…it was kind of sad and lame. and jurassic 5 blew them out of the water.
i will always listen to them. and i love that the back half of all of their albums is better than the first half…almost without fail.

also i remember watching this live and being blown away.

//youtu.be/pfNd0YByYIQ

i even went through a stage of buying mix-master mike and money mark cds…that wasn’t so good

MikeD, with the masterplan.

Side 2 is better than side 1? That’s interesting, I’ll have to investigate. Ill Comm comes to mind that would be an exception - Sure Shot, Root Down, Get It Together…

With all the Beastie Boys talk I bought this last night:

not so much side 1/2 (i don’t have them on vinyl…)
just a general feel that the later tracks are better
i reckon
>hello nasty after intergalactic onward is the better half
>ill comm after sabotage
>check yo…after what’cha want.
>pauls boutique…maybe from looking down the barrell of a gun onward (i love the bouillabaisse)…but to be fair it’s a pretty even album

i guess i’m always surprised by the tracks toward the end of their albums…usually a bit weirder musically.

This is the track I was talkin’ bout.

Major fan here… (not as much as P!N20 though)
Saw them in sydney on pretty much all their tours through the 90s and early 2000s (i think).
Was at the quasar gig…
Was at the AIC/BB/ST show… was weird but i was a fan at various points of the other bands so it was all good.
I missed them @ Summersault and it’s one festival that I’m gutted that I didnt go to (but I was on the other side of the world).

Saw them in Vancouver a couple of times and I’m pretty sure I caught them in Europe… The second time I saw them in Vancouver was amazing as they had their full North American stage set-up and totally vibed with the crowd that night. Plus MMM was on fire mxing all kinds of hilarious cuts into the songs to surprise/trick the boys (Wu-Tang I remember, and there may well have been some Britney or something random). You could see them burst out with a grin when he ‘slipped’ a random beat/sample in there.

The fan fav is always Paul’s, the common mans fav is usually CYH or Ill Comm. For me I’ve always rated HN as it was just so rad and i like the production and beats just that bit more.

For a fav song: SureShot, Intergalactic, Root Down (live especially) and Sabrosa.

Pretty sure I’ve got a couple of live CDs and bootlegs sitting in my CD collection.

Lyndon - how much do you want the clear ‘Aglio e Olio’? I know I have the 7", I’ll check to see if its the clear vinyl.

“If it’s going to be that kinda party…” is one of my favourite quotes. Old Mate Hans DC nearly fell over when I broke it out in the middle of a ride once. Nowadays I find it gets more ‘strange looks’ than it did 10 years ago… :frowning:

I’ve always been a fan of MCA as he was the snowboarding, double bass playing mad dog.

The newer stuff has taken a little more for me to get into but they have kept a level of self-depreciation and humour up that i think has meant they have lasted far longer than many of their peers. That and the fact they have all indulged their other interests freely, plus they have definitely been in the right place at the right time at several moments (Def Jam/snowboarding/streetwear).

If you look at their career arc you can see they were bratty and immature at first (even they openly admit their behaviour back then shouldnt be celebrated) but they have grown and continued to do some great work. There’s a really good bio out there about them that I’m pretty sure I still have.

The big question: Favourite DJ? I wasnt sure that Hurricane could be replaced, but MMM brought another level of adsurdity and skill to their live sets.

I think we could open negotiations. I believe the 7" only came in clear, or a brown 12". Fuck! I remember seeing this at Gaslight Records many moons ago and passed it up - think I got Love American Style on white vinyl instead.

THIS. Best line to drop at parties ever.

It’s questionable how much DJing Hurricane actually did, seeing as he is an MC now! MMM injected a whole new dynamic for Hello Nasty.

I hooked my turntable up to a wah-wah pedal
It’s called the tweak scratch

This track is smoooooooove