Bikepacking Bag/Frame Bag Manufacturers

This is kind of an aside but I went out for a bikepacking trip with a bunch of mates this past weekend, they mtb a bit but are just general mega athletes (ultra runners, trad climbers etc).

They each had a 25 liter backpack (same ones they’d used for adventure racing) that didn’t seem heavy and it was so much more simple than faffing around with multiple bags (at least for shorter trips on proper mtb’s where the weight on your back isn’t as much of a problem). Might seem obvious but I thought I’d make the point that you can get by without them as I’ve noticed some thinking that bike packing bags are a necessity for an overnight trip.

I get the worlds sweatiest back so I try and avoid a backpack as much as possible, eh.

I think there’s definitely merit in it, and it’s easy to forget to even consider it. If I can though, I’d rather not do it, although I’ve been commuting with one for about a year now.

Here’s a pic to consider:

I wore a backpack all through japan. Back was pretty sore at the end but it worked

justjeans bags FTW

Did they beat you setting up camp Seano?

I tied for first with Tom.

Not much setting up to do with a bivy. Also we both had very little condensation and slept well. Sensations were good.

This is my friend Ollie in Tom’s fancy pertex hooped bivy thingo

Orllie to bed, Orllie to shred.

Was this one of those rad bike bike packing trips where you wheelie everywhere? backpacks would make sense over handlebar bags in that case i guess.

It was one where my tyre gets melted on the exhaust so we just camp at Thredbo, buy a new tire in the morning and then ride the lift access DH trails on our Hardtails under our own steam.

Docena pre sale is on again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCYm1Z4OPGo/

Rapha’s getting into it.

Only a 30% premium over the equivalent Apidura seat bag - Rapha is going cheap now!

Do the Rapha 2016 survey and get 20% off?

It’s excluded from the discount unfortunately

that looks like a colostomy bag for a bike.

“Yes, you can install a handlebar pack on your bike to carry stuff out front. If all you need to store there is a phone, a bike repair multi-tool, or an energy bar that you’d like to access at some point during a ride, though, a spacious pack does feel a bit overkill. The Slap Bag, on the other hand, looks just about right.”

if all you need is phone/tool/bar wouldn’t you just use your pockets?

I like the slap concept but the bag is a bit big. They would get more volume from a smaller profile with a rounded bag.

Ortleib entered the market recently.

And Specialized have now jumped in feet first.

Hunt Bikes have a range of bikepacking bags available.