Given my experience so far with the Ltwoo eGR on my gravel bike, I thought a thread on modern groupsets that are more reasonably priced would be good.
The Ltwoo I have is electronic and I am a big fan. You can tune each individual gear on the cassette very easily with the app and set the speed of multishifts by holding the button. No more cable replacements is a big bonus ime. You can also assign how many cogs are on the cassette. Up to 13s currently. I am running 12
Spotted this on WW
Looks good. Just needs a Microspline cassette option so you can have a 10t
I’ve run a Sensah Empire 11 (cable) groupset since late 2021 across a couple of frames and combos. Started as Empire 11 speed with ZRace rim brakes and ZRace cranks. The BB that was with that setup was garbage. The design meant the spindle floated about in the shell and crank arms didn’t want to stay put. I stuck the rings on a set of compact Ultegra crank arms and BB and it ran fine. It all got swapped to the Merlin for a year or so with cantilever brakes, all fine. Recently gravelo’d it somewhat via swapping in a set of ZRace BR-005 cable hydros, a Sensah CRX Pro RD and ZTTO 11-40 cassette. I have a slight mis-shift in the middle of the cassette, but I just haven’t been bothered enough to fettle it 100%. For the $300 it cost me in March 2021, hard to fault. If I was keen enough on going electronic, would not hesitate to try a Chinese group.
my bike is my transport. with shimano i have some spares, and you can still buy 12 speed di2 stuff. with chinese, spares are non-existent in oz so would have to buy spares
Consensus appears to say you can run SRAM FD and RD reasonably well with this gen Sensah 11s. Maybe even current 12s. Any cable brakes will work with them, of course. But if the brifters tap out, I think you’re SOL. Electronic is all a bit beyond my view for now.
For just over twice the price I have electronic shifting and can select how many gears I want, though I don’t think I can select as few as 9. I am running 10-51 with 12 gears and the gaps are big enough as it is. Also, no cassette, but levers and brake calipers were included.
I agree with Jase. Once you go electronic there is no going back.
With infinite self awareness I have discovered electronic shifting makes me happier.
Yes, I have no issue with electronic shifting, I would like to “go down this path” eventually.
But not quite yet.
I am impressed by the cable-free technology but it’s either very expensive (SRAM, Shimano, Campagnolo) or new and relatively untested.
Also for my needs, I don’t want a massive dinner-plate cog on the back. At my age (mid 60’s) I am not going try to ride up (or down) a rough and rutted gravel road/trail with a gradient of 20 %
I will get off and walk, happily !
I’m not really concerned about having to charge the apparatus. Yes, I might forget at some point in time, but like most retro enthusiasts, I have more than one bike !
And if and when I get an electronic shifter, it will be “one by” and it will not suffer from too big a gap between tooth counts on the cogs !
“ I have no desire to go down this track because it results in out of pocket expenses that are stupid!
The day that can’t change gears manually, is the day that I give away all of my bikes and stop riding! “
…….. Unquote
Where you live it is extremely hard to find any hills so you don’t need 14 gear ratios on the rear wheel.
You might only need a “chain tensioner” on the rear, and a front derailleur. With a small Chainring for going out into the wind and a big Chainring for coming back with the wind