Converted Belt Drive Fixie

This is the S&S

so cool by MOTH ATTACK!!, on Flickr

And this is a really neat solution from Speedhound, click through to see the other photos with track / vert dropout options

Speedhound interchangeable dropouts by ah_blake, on Flickr

The speed hound ones are interesting. +10 for function -10 for form.

I don’t think you get to criticise others for form!

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Speedhound randonneur by ah_blake, on Flickr

Form follows function…and whatever tools you’ve got to hand. Why did you break the Masi so far up?

Actually, form follows failure. (see The Evolution of Useful Things)

You make a valid point.

Just not to my taste then maybe.

Frame builders choice. I just let him do it however he felt was best. I assume it had something to do with the tapering of the tubes lower down.

Personally I’m digging your ghetto belt-drive fix - nerdy… and yet retarded - but you know what they say, “hater gotta hate”.

this seems more elegant tho:

I for one look forward to framebuilders sending out frames with the belt already in place prior to brazing.

That is a nice solotion there. I’ve been scouting for new frames which come with belt drive dropouts and haven’t found anything suitable that I want to buy yet.

I sold a drivetrain for a Gary Fisher Sawyer conversion last month and that is super sweet but not quite fixed. I might get one later in the year.

I’ve posted the rest of the pictures and what I learnt today here.

It is the straightest part of the curved stays, i heard.

I prefer the split higher, too. That super massive split dropout is fugly. S&s is prob the nicest looking to my eye.

Ear to the ground in the canberra belt conversion Masi scene hey JP.

So the timing belt in your car needs to be changed every 100,000kms. How many RPM of the motor (and therefore belt) do you reckon that’ll be…? I think they’ll be just fine on a bike.

I think 10,000 bike kms is just a bit of an underestimate of the belt life*

Just sayin…

*noted the belt and drive must be kept clean and free of filth (no different to your chain tho)

average rpm of about 2000 per km?

Yeah me too. I believe the actual terms I heard was 10,000 km before stretching, not end of life. Either way, If I ever get to 10,000 km on my way back and forward from the pub, I have bigger problems than a stretched belt.

lol. 2000 revolutions per minute per kilometer. That’s frickin fast!!!

wait, I meant, like, while traveling over 1km, your engine would, like, average an rpm of 2000, yeah?

As i stated, “low revs similar to pedal cadence” and NO reference to a car or its timing belt. As KingSingle pointed out to me, it would be the total distance covered by the belt that would be the main difference from a bike to a machine, such as a conveyor of sorts.

We use belt drive conveyors, say once a month or so, to get roof tiles up onto a roof, be it single storey or two. These machines run for a max of 4 hours over that day, rev’s around 200-240(yes I know, faster than most people peddle) using a poly-vee belt. They have similar exposure to dirt and grime as your bike does, and similar exposure to sunlight. Lifespan considerably lower…

“Just saying”

V belt ≠ toothed belt
apples ≠ oranges

this post ≠ usefull or constuctive in the slightest