Converted Belt Drive Fixie

You could build a single speed belt drive bike without the ‘separable chain stays’ (and without using the elevated chain stays that b.dub suggested) by having the belt cog on the outside of the chain stays — just like the crank arms on a unicycle are on the outside of the unicycle forks. The four most obvious problems with this are:

1. You will need to have a custom rear hub. This will be like a unicycle hub with a belt cog replacing one of the crank arms, and with no crank arm on the other side (note: a ‘flip-flop’ hub with different size belt cogs on each side won’t work unless you have a very wide range of adjustment for ‘belt-tension’ - see 3. below).

2. You will need custom ‘dropouts’ to hold the rear hub. These dropouts will be like the ends of a unicycle fork that hold the unicycle hub/axle/cranks in place. These ‘drop outs’ can be held in place by two bolts on each side.

3. Using those ‘dropouts’ will mean that you can’t easily tension the belt by moving the rear axle backward or forward. In order words, it’ll be like having vertical dropouts. In order to achieve correct ‘belt tension’ you will have to either:
    (a) use a ‘belt tensioning device’ (i.e. like a belt-drive version of the Surly Singleator - see Parts | Singleator );
    (b) use an eccentric bottom bracket; or
    (c) mount the dropouts on sliding mounts (something like this: Greeny’s Sliding Dropouts ).

4. This arrangement would put the belt cog ‘out-board’ of the chain stays and, without any other changes, would increase the chain-line (or ‘belt-line’) immensely. That would result in an unacceptably high ‘Q-factor’ (i.e. the see Sheldon Brown’s glossary Sheldon Brown’s Bicycle Glossary Q ) – even assuming that you could find a suitable crank-set. Reducing your belt-line could be your biggest problem (boom-tish!). The best answer is probably a very narrow rear hub. That will mean that the frame will have to have correspondingly narrow spacing between the ‘dropouts’. However, you will already be using a custom rear hub and a custom frame in order to address the other issues.

All of that custom engineering won’t be cheap. The ‘separable chain stay’ solution is much more affordable because it uses more stock components. The idea of actually building the bike’s chain stays around the belt is even less expensive. Indeed, that solution turn out to be the future of department store bikes — as those bikes are more likely to be junked before the belt wears out and the buyers of those bikes will probably be attracted by the lower maintenance needs of a belt drive drive-train.

more interesting than the usual njs blog frame with an aerospoke and risers

Why not just ride a unicycle?

Someone search for ‘two speed fixed gear bicycle’ on Youtube and post it on here.
It’s belt driven and looks shit hot

YouTube - ‪bedovelo twin fixed schlumpf beltdrive system‬‏

So is the future of road bikes going to be hub gears with belt drive, oh and disc brakes of course?
Imagine, no more mechanicals (except when you get a rear flat)

i predict a future where robot hipsters will be hunting down the highly desirable velocity deep v wheels (first edition non machined), pinarello dogma frames and campagnolo super record 11 shifters so that people think they are old school but in a future reality they will just have vintage parts that they paid well above market value for.

as this is my first post, I’ll try not to ruffle too many caps…

Having seen …KingSingle’s belt drive conversion in reality, I can say the seatstay join is barely noticeable and to my eyes looks better than most other options (I’m not a fan of shiny stainless steel bits, attracting attention to your daily rider).

Also, it’s great to see people innovating in a field that often seems to be stagnating, especially with new drivetrain parts that may outlast the current (previous) technology.

Oh, in terms of the belt life, motorcycles get many thousands of kms, Buell even offers a lifetime warranty on some (yes, I know they are much heavier than those for bicycles, but they are made by the same company, and it is the same technology).

cheers

I’m pretty sure the machined Deep V’s were the first ones to come out. Just sayin’.

Yeah but it would be a set that made it through without getting machined that would attract the big $$ w/ NOS Formula hubs, future me is getting a hard-on for their future listing.