Cousin Balki's Melbourne Rant Thread.

Does 800m to work count?

Only if you throw in a whip skid.

I stay at a jogging pace while riding around that area. Super cautious of peds because not a jerk I suppose.

Was passed by multiple people this morning while waiting at a red… I think that annoys me ever more.

Like.

Did he have a big mustache and piercings

Didn’t see his face as he flew buy. Grey Constantine frame (I think), one of those fully reflective jackets.

I think you can ride along Southbank safely without having to ride at a crawl, as long as you give people and blind corners a very wide berth. Will be interesting to see if Southbank Blvd can become an option for more people once that work is done.

Stay safe out there. :’(
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-12/cyclist-dies-in-hit-run-in-inner-melbourne/10111222

it’s really not a good couple of days for girls cycling in bike lanes :frowning:

So fucked. The New York one, the driver was drunk. The Melbourne one, the guy was driving a stolen car and took the time to get his shit out of the car before fucking off, leaving the girl to die.

Fuck this.

I agree with everything above.

What’s more, I take great issue with the way the whole awful situation is played out in the media. This woman, these women, were not cyclists. They were women. They were people with families. They weren’t pro athletes taking part in a sanctioned race or a training ride. They were people. The people who killed them are people.
Their deaths not a natural consequence of using the roads. Their deaths are not merely the results of culpable driving or driving under the influence - it’s more akin to manslaughter or murder. People are trained to operate cars and trucks, they’re licensed and tested and monitored. In all likelihood, even the car thief has had some sort of training. And yet. And yet they killed people. They killed them. It’s not ok. It’s not something we should accept. It’s awful and tragic and at the end of the day two families have lost people whose lives were just starting and I think it’s important to remember that. These women weren’t cyclists, they were people.

Again…

i’ve got a strange feeling she was a customer at Carolina, she looks so familiar. reckon i’ve written her name on a coffee cup before too. not exactly a common name.

:frowning:

^ There’s a memorial ride planned for next Tuesday 28th:

Holy shit the crash scene images are intense

yep, the bike looks like it had a house dropped on it.

Had my first accident of any kind after many years riding around Melbourne. Head on collision last night with someone on Capital City Trail. They were knocked out for a good 10 seconds and had to get some stitches in their knee at least. I walked away with a pretty busted finger but otherwise okay.

Stay safe out there everyone.

Seems to be a number of police on Swanston this morning.
Bike police giving jay walking tickets, officers on foot hanging about.
If any of you beardos think this morning is a good time to reignite the fixie spirit, maybe wait until next week.

hahaha literally just jaywalked across swanston to take a pic of your brakeless fixie…

Some insight here: Drivers to blame for 4/5 accidents with cyclists, report finds | The Feed