Cousin Balki's Melbourne Rant Thread.

Anyone watch the video in that article? I cannot tell at all what the point to it was.

And now that awful infomercial jazz music is stuck in my head.

Hmmm.

I was thinking about that this morning and it got me thinking that we can all be pretty hypocritical. 4 cars actively waved me past today, all drivers were smiling and friendly. I also had no close calls or interactions with bad drivers. Yet if someone asked me how my ride was I would probably have initially said ā€œbloody driversā€ purely because the previous actions of a minority of shit drivers comes to mind and I use that to judge all drivers. To some extent I think it is human nature to remember the shit that you see and judge people based on it. What is really shit is treating the whole bunch like they donā€™t matter based purely on that judgment.

i agree.

how many of you have a fuck taxis sticker?

that would be tarring all taxi drivers with the same brush no?*

i reckon weā€™ve all had a rant about fuckhead drivers before.

*i do agree there are a LOT of shit taxi drivers out there though.

I actually do remember the friendly drivers more than the dickhead ones.
Even the neutral ones will try and squeeze you out at roundabouts and intersections.
So when someone waves me past etc. it sticks in my mind more than an idiot.

+1
i give a wave or thumbs up to drivers who do the right thing, which isnā€™t often.
i love when drivers, who are about to get into their car, see you coming then plaster their body onto the side of their car to give you the most amount of room possible. i love those guys, they get two thumbs up.

haha, +1.

I do that move all the time when Iā€™m getting in a car!

To be fair, I see far more dick moves from cyclists than I do from drivers over the course of a week.

Though I do commute St. Kilda rdā€¦

sad but true

haha, i commute down royal parade, st kilda roadā€™s northern sibling

Not an excuse. But a dick move on a bike has far less of a consequence than a dick move in a car.
I hate both though.

Is royal parade that one that becomes one narrow lane each way with parkland either side? Because that it a total prick of a place to ride.

Yeah, trueā€¦ fuck all the people

nope. seriously is the twin of st kilda road. looks like this:

Fawkner, Victoria - Google Maps

edit - ignore the fawkner bit

Yeah, I know the oneā€¦ They are inbred twins for sure.

I was thinking of that McArthur/Elliot section that intersects Royal.

as i was in a taxi the other night me and my cabbie witnessed another cabbie cut a cyclist off. my cabbie caught up to the offending cabbie and gave him a serve that seethed with unmitigated disgust. it was a rare, beuatiful moment.

yeah, that road fucking blows

my cabbie the other day asked for directions from russell street to melbourne university because he didnā€™t know the city.
when i pointed out swanston st he was genuinely surprised.

yeah, but none of the dick moves i see from cyclists nearly cause me serious injury/death.
side note, whatā€™s up with the slowest, stupidest cyclists the ones most likely to run reds? i followed this pair of dicks up st kilda rd, so lame they donā€™t even know how to oil a chain. every red we got i stopped while they ran it and despite that i still got into the city minutes quicker than themā€¦

Saturday morning parking ban to be made permanent on Beach Rd by Bayside City Council.

Beach Road safer for cyclists as councils put wheels into motion

Does anyone else find the concrete surface of the bridge between the MCG and Birrurung Marr particularly grippy? Probably a combination of the ā€œsteppedā€ slope and the surface itself but slowing downhill my cleat pulled out of the pedal and I narrowly missed stacking it this morning heading towards town. thankyou front brake.