Dirty Day Out - Sunday 3 July

Yeah, still in assuming reasonably non-apocalyptic weather.

What time are you thinking of rolling out? Looks like there’s a train that gets into Ourimbah at about 7.30.

George downs drive can be a bit sketchy with the locals flying along, but it’s not too far to the letter A from kulnura shop!!! I’m keen!

Oh yeah, just realised that going by Kulnura means we have a shop available for drinks and food. Don’t tell Harry though - wouldn’t want to spoil his #randovibes

Yeah, but what time?

Still in. Got some nice new Clements for it too.

Depending on the train, I’ll get on at Berowra or Hornsby.

I just had a look at the trains. My preference would be the 6:45am from Central, which gets to Ourimbah at 8:23. It stops at Berowra at 7:30.

The earlier train involves a transfer at Gosford onto a Newcastle train, with limited space for bikes, so I’d rather avoid that. Besides the extra sleep wouldn’t hurt.

Hmmm. Was thinking about getting on at pennant hills or Hornsby but might just ride to berowra…

I went out on Saturday afternoon to check the last part of the route. I’d been down Lyrebird Lane before at night, but never climbed it. Can confirm that it’s pretty tough work, a bit rocky in parts, but nothing crazy. Similar to the steeper climbs on the Wiseman’s Ferry loop. Meanwhile the ridgeline road between there and Kulnura is outstanding riding.

(more photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68984210@N06/with/27316946044/ )

Since I was in the area I thought I’d head home via a road I’d been meaning to investigate for a while - Tooheys Rd. It drops from the top of Red Hill down into the Ourimbah Creek valley. I knew from maps and aerial photos that the bottom part would be a bit questionable. Wasn’t quite expecting a two hour scramble on foot through overgrown rainforest, fallen trees, blackberry bushes and swamps. It was quite an experience and I think I’ll put up a separate post about it.

Anyway the route is all A-OK for Sunday. No deep mud or jungle bashing required, I promise.

What time roughly do you think you’ll be at the Palmdale crematorium ? I’m going to go down Saturday night so I’ll be riding from dooralong.

That’s right at the end of the ride - we’re going up Ourimbah Creek first - so it’s really hard to say. I’ve invited a few people outside the forum, so with extra people involved it, extra chances of flats/mechanicals etc, I don’t quite know what our average pace will be. Hopefully not too slow.

Coming from Dooralong, you could ride all the way to Ourimbah for the start, and then peel off in the Yarramalong Valley. Otherwise you could meet us at Yarramalong on our way through, but again, hard to know what time.

Oh my bad, I thought you were going up from Palmdale to redhil forest road. Will be easier to meet at ourimbah then.

Cool ok.
The old route went that way - this is the longer version, that goes via the Watagans:

Not planning to do this on Sunday though as the Prickly Ridge/Branch Rd part gets pretty rough and also Bumble Hill is not an enjoyable climb.

Sweet haven’t been up to redhill via rimba creek. So should be good. Prickly isn’t too bad.
Bumble hill on the other hand, fun going down lol

Heeeey, there’s a pretty high chance that I won’t be attending this as I now have a kinda important family thing on in the early evening that I really can’t/don’t want to miss.

Will probably just do an early start Laughtondale/Wiseman’s/Windsor or something… :frowning:

Ah man, that’s bad timing. If you still wanted to join for part of it, you could take the shortcut down Bumble Hill towards Yarramalong. You’d miss out on Cedar Brush Creek, but would save a lot of time.

Hmmm, this could be an option. Nice, you’ve even marked it as the shortcut option home. Will reconsider.

Ah, wish I could make this. Would be heaps good to meet people.

32’s too fat for my bike, and I think my fitness may be a little lacking. I’ll stay tuned for the next one though, see if I can’t find a decent set of 28’s or something.

There will be more chances in the future. Good tyres definitely help on these rides.

By the way I’ve updated the ride info at the start of the thread. Some of the Easter ride crowd are coming too.

I have pretty good idea for a intermediate ride I was thinking of palnning for late july/august. Essentially Andersons/6’ Track/The Oaks - approx 70kms mostly dirt. Start at Wentworth Falls, finish at the Lapo hotel.

If you change your mind I’ve got some 28’s you can use. I’ve ridden them on parts of the roads we are going and they were fine.
They’re fyxations.

On another note if my white ind 18t free wheel get here by the weekend I’m going to ride the commuter ss