Duarte road bike Dura Ace 7400 Part 2

Wow HLC, that’s an amazing find! So it was in Australia, what are the chances?
My understanding is Duarte Cycles sold a few frames to Europe and the US over the years but I can’t imagine there being a huge amount. What year would it be from- late 80’s/ early 90’s?

Keep us posted on the developments.

Great find, HLC! Looks like it needs some TLC…ASAP.

Just to inspire you HLC, here is mine with more appropriate wheels: :slight_smile:

Sadly I sold the 7400 stuff so it’s just a frame again sitting in the shed. But I will build it up again.

I love’d the build Horatio. I honestly don’t know how you could top it! 1" threaded maybe…

Defs one of my favourite lugged roadie builds. Its got so much going for it.

Ha I don’t need any inspiration, hanging to get the funds together to rebuild this thing! As it’s 52tt 51.5ST I’m going to build it for my GF. She loves fangin’ about on her SS and wants to get a little more serious with riding (plus it fits her like a glove). Unfortunately (?) I just sold a set of 8 speed Shamals, so I’m going to do down the modern route. Probably Veloce, with modern wheels (Hopefully open pro’s). Paint will be an interesting one.

Going to strip is down this weekend and undercoat hopefully which will give me time to decide on colour and do it properly. If it turns out half as nice as my Hillman did, then I’ll be happy (and she will be too).

Your build with the hard ano rims looks bloody awesome though.

I hope you don’t mind me using your thread to update - let me know!

Not at all, please keep us updated!

Paint will be an interesting one. See how it cleans up and post some pics. If it’s special enough it would be worth getting a proper spray paint.

Depends a bit on what sort of plug you’re using in the steerer, really only a marginal issue with crabon steerers.

NIce nice nice bike H (but reckon you did the right thing switching to the OPs)

Turn of the century Campag would look nice if you rebuild it.

Buried treasure!!!

Ive hadnt een this thread before, Horatios bike is easily one of the best roadies on FOA for sure, really beautiful man. I’d kill for that group too. 7403 is my favourite group of all time.

Well I started stripping this bad boy down today!

A few pics to follow!

I gave the forks a light polish, and painted the panto’s, in pink, as it’s for my GF! Pink panto’s will continue onto the frame, which I will finish stripping tomorrow (and hopefully fill the panto’s too). Main colour will probably end up similar to yours Horatio. Hate to be a copy cat, but I am absoultely in love with that colour!!! See what I find on the shelves.

A proper paint would be nice, but I enjoy the painting process so am doing the job myself (if you haven’t already worked out).

Process for the fork panto’s was:

1. Mask off everything except top of fork crown
  2. Spray basecoat, allow to dry
  3. Spray colour, allow to dry, spray another coat if needed
  4. Spray clear, allow to dry
  5. Remove masking
  6. I used 600 grit wet & dry to sand off excess paint on fork crown
  7. Wash with a sponge/microfibre cloth to remove grit out of panto.
  8. Admire your handiwork.

Nice one HLC, great find and looking forward to the updates.

Fuck yes! Pink pantos on such a dark grey frame are gonna pop like crazy! Psyched to see this one finished! Great work Henri.

If you’re keeping this for the misses start a hole thread on it,
Interested to see how it comes up,
Not sure what powder coaters are like over there
but I think it’s best to just get them to do it, then paint fill.

Spray pack just dosnt last IMHO

+1 -both bikes are wayy too nice to be sharing a thread!