FAQ: How do I get into track racing?

75-88 gear inches for a beginner is more than enough. Any higher and you’re just crunching too big a gear.

thanks mate.

if you ride a fixie and you’re not into track racing (or competitive cycling as a sport), is that deemed to make you a poser/hipster?

Track in and around Brisbane.

both Chandler and Caboolture are running “training race” nights throughout the year if enough people turn up to justify the cost of the lights.

Chandler Tuesday Evenings “racing” from 7:30 warm up from about 6:45.
Bikes are avialable for hire from CQ but you do need a CA licence to race

Caboolture Wednesday nights contact Sunshine coast CC to get more details.

Nerang Track league starts around October, for about 12 weeks.
Worth talking to the gold coast clubs if they are running anything else through the year- but Neran and I think Caboolture are open all the time so anyone can ride around.
Chandler has been “locked down” by the sleeman centre in the last year- so no informal training anymore.

Wait til summer (well daylight savings), you should come to Edwardstown velodrome on the Tuesday night ride… fun times.

Training is run all year. It gets cold, so through winter it is often only the most dedicated riders (which is quite a few). Training remains pretty active due to the Winter Series out at Dunc Gray on Friday nights.

Hey Ya,

Does anyone know if the ‘Come-n-Try’ sessions are on at DISC this sunday morning?

Been trying to get in touch with the crew at disc and csv with no success.

Ta

I do a bit of track and want to start racing. Do gear restriction apply for juniors? is it in ages groups or grades? and is there juniors at thursday night racing.

Yes, Grades, No.

Contact Phil Bushell for info on this Sunday’s session.

Thanks. 1 more question
What are the gear restrictions for juniors? is it the normal u/17, u/15 ect gearing or because it is in grades do they have the same gear restrictions for all juniors?

u15 = 6.0m roll out
u17 = 6.5m roll out

(That’s off the top of my head).

Thanks Heaps, have contacted Phil.

thanks, but what i meant was…because its graded if I (u/17) be up against a younger kid (say u/15) would we both race the same gear, like is it an overall gear restriction or does everyone have individual restriction according to their age…

trying to explain my question but…failing…

you seem to be asking if the gearing is based on grades. the answer is no. it is based on age. if there is a 17 year old in your grade he will be on one gearing, if there is a 15 year old he will be on a lower gearing. i think they’re 86 and 82 gear inches, respectively, but i may be wrong on that.

but really, it doesn’t matter. last night in my grade there was a guy on an 86 and another guy on a 101. you either spin or grind accordingly.

to have a go at track can i use my road frame w/ track wheels 165 cranks etcetcetc…
i understanr the BB height on a track bike is higher for the banks but is it “illegal” kida thing?

you may ride your conversion, sure. but you would be better off using one of the club track bikes.

cheers

guys, before I visit a come-n-try I have a few questions.

1. Fitness - what’s the ideal fitness level for a noob? What sort of training do you guys do? - ie: a few hours 2-3 times a week on the rollers combined with a few hours on the track or maybe a few hours out on the road bike ?

2. How often do you get out on the track for training rides?

I’ve been riding for a couple of years now - mainly commutes (30-40km round trip) 3-4 days a week plus the weekend rides.

As for my fitness, i can hold a pace of around 30km on the road bike and i can run 8km in around 40 minutes however i’m a smoker.

cheers

Forget all that, just come along and have a go, bring a helmet, clipless shoes/pedals if you have them, knicks/jersey also. A few skill sessions to familiarise yourself with riding on the track amongst others and you’ll be set to race. You’ll be fine.

Location? If Melbourne, check www.brunswickcyclingclub.com for the next Sunday 8am skill session at DISC (Darebin Rd, Northcote), they’re off for the next 3 weeks.

i’m with blakey on this one. there will be everyone from fat old guys to fit young whippersnappers. it doesn’t matter. just head on down.