Film Thread

i spent most of the weekend watching the studio ghibli boxset.

Saw Robin Hood remake - complete shit, they should have called it ‘The origin of the man later known as Robin Hood’ and cast Russell Crowe as the Sherrif, not the Hood. Still would have been shit though.

Sydney film festival is on at the moment - maybe people have tickets to something? Or have seen something good?

I like watching oldies such as North by Northwest and Psycho (see a theme?), or even the original Indiana Jones, but also like certain actors - Kevin Spacey (like K-Pax, or American Beauty).

And just for Spirito - The Shining scared the crap out of me when I was about 10.

If you like Spacey then get Swimming with Sharks. Very funny.

As for Kubrick. I can’t go past Full Metal Jacket.

I’ve seen and reccommend Micmacs and The Concert recently.

pfft. cinematic snobbery, anyone can get 1001 films you must see before you die’, and recite it like it’s their own.

So when is someone going to pipe up about the genius of fellini, eyes roll.

Hotrod
The Hangover
A history of violence
Eastern promises
Anything with english criminals in it

Young Frankenstein is my goto movie on cold wet days.
Pump up the volume is another fav, Christian Slater as a high school student running a pirate Radio station. 1990
Opening line, “Do you ever get the feeling that everything in America is completely fucked up?”

You’re right, it’s easy to sound pretentious talking about films.

Which is why I’m a big fan of ‘bad’ films- you know like Tango & Cash, Day of the Dead or Fright Night

I was tied down and made to watch the first two instalments of Twilight…I came out feeling underwhelmed.

I also voluntarily watched Invictus, which I enjoyed immensely. Morgan Freeman is more Nelson Mandela than Nelson Mandela!

TANGO & CASH! hahaha fucken hilarious, other greats include, Big Trouble in Little China, The Lost Boys, Young Guns.

If we’re talking trash then Neon Maniacs and Mr Deathman are up there. I’m yet to meet anyone else who has seen Mr Deathman, I’m waiting for that day!

I have no problem admitting that Revenge of the Nerds is my favourite movie of all time.

Takashi: I think I’ve got a frush.
Booger: What the fuck is a frush?
Takashi: [showing his royal flush] A frush.
Booger: [showing his cards] Oh, well I’ve got two sevens and two sevens beats a frush.
Takashi: Oh, thank you.

I have watched* this film. I too thought it would be disgusting/hilarious but really it’s not. It’s just nasty and pointlessly hateful. Judging from the trailer you’d expect it to be a bit kitsch and fun but none of that is present in the movie proper. It’s really not entertaining, just boring or trying too hard to shock (and failing because anyone with half a brain is expecting it). Ebert was right to refuse it a star rating.

Edlang: Ong bak 1 and 2 are both available locally from Madman. I thought 1 was waay better than 2 though I’ll certainly give 3 a look. From the same production crew is a film called “Chocolate” which was at MIFF last year and was pretty entertaining.

*in this case “watched” means at somewhere between 2 and 3 times speed so I didn’t waste too much of my life. (I can understand dialogue at 2 times but at 3 the movie needs subs for me to understand it. A fair portion of human centipede is subbed as one of the main characters speaks only Japanese).

The Wickerman (the original 1973 version with Edward Woodward)
-i was talking to a mate about this today and how much i liked it. i’ve been to the far north western scottish isles and this film could totally have happened in stornoway!! weird…

Sheitan (made in 2006 and has Vincent Cassel in it)
-similar to The Wickerman in it’s strangeness

Caddyshack! oh the memories, chevy chase during his coke years, same with Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield RIP, Sound track by Kenny Loggins, how could you not love this movie.

YouTube - Caddyshack - Chevy Chase shares his wisdom

none of the actors in Sôseiji (1999) have eyebrows. coupled with the incidental music, it’s all fairly creepy.

I watched a bit of ‘A Sunday in Hell’ the other day. so good.

I saw Animal Kingdom last night.

really, thats a shame… i thought it would be great :frowning:

Another over hyped Australian dark, moody film ala Lantana etc?