god damn magpies!

Hey everyone!

Within the last month ive been swooped by magpies a number of times, even to the point where a single magpie will sometimes follow me for a number of blocks. No doubt this is because its their breeding season but why do they go after cyclists and not pedestrians? Anyway sorry for the rant!

Cause we’re tuff and they know we can handle it. :smiley:
Nah dunno, but I’ve got one outside my front gate that goes nuts as soon as I mount my bike.

I saw some dude get swooped today. I’ll probably go to hell or something, but fuck I laughed.

I saw the funniest thing today on the road while driving to Surrey Hills.

A Postie was driving his motorbike on the road in the righthand lane and this maggie swoops him at about 60km/h and drafts him for ages trying to get closer and attack but then gives up.

Cars were driving in the opposite direction really close and he did hesitate to attack. What a daredevil of a magpie

pedestrians do get swooped. I guess there just tends to be more cyclists travelling through tree-y areas.

there was one (or more) magpies at my grandparents farm that would swoop my grandfather and only him. One of my uncles even dressed up in his clothes and wadered about outside and didn’t get attacked.

I was told a couple of weeks ago that it’s mating season, the male magpies balls swell up and they ache so they’re just angry at the world. Dunno how true it is but it’s a great story.

Yeah I took a sick call from one of my staff a few years ago and it was his girlfriend claiming that he was walking to catch the train to work when a Maggie swooped and hit him on the head with it’s claw foot thing…he was “apparently” so shaken up she had to give him a sedative to calm him down and he couldn’t come into work…

Best/worst sickie excuse ever…

Magpies are in cahoots with their bloody mates the Plovers. Little fvckers get you when your no where near a tree. If you didn’t lay your eggs on the fecken ground where anyone could just walk on them you wouldn’t need to be a swoopin.

Bloody birds!

Here in Ballarat there’s one right outside the front doors of the courthouse happily watches the pedestrians wandering around even sitting right near it’s nest, but if I ride by on my bike the jerk will chase me for 3 blocks. I guess they get more used to pedestrians and cars.

The first time I went past it put a nasty scratch on my helmet while I was waiting to go through the round about, the second time I went through was foolish…

Saw a commuter guy around the corner from me with the giant zip ties sticking up out of the helmet - traditional commuter magpie deterrents apparently.
They’re just birds ffs and you’re wearing a helmet!

EDIT: I have been smacked in the head a couple of times and sure, it’s a shock, but really… you’re wearing a helmet.

They’re just birds ffs and you’re wearing a helmet!

Owned :evil:

I’m guessing you’ve never had your ear chewed through by a swooping magpie eh?

:wink:

I imagine a magpie hitting you in sweet spot of the temple could be potentially lethal

I’ve seen and personally experienced Magpies of extraordinary skill, determination and daring. I have lost blood to them. To them, a helmet is just another challenge.

Never underestimate the Magpie.

i heard a story about someone getting swooped by a magpie, side on and the magpie’s beak went straight into the side of the person’s nose and got stuck and they had to pull the bird out !!!that’s intense!! :-o

For a couple of years there’s been one in Brisbane on the Toombul/Nudgee corner that swoops up from behind from about hub level, aiming for the eye and often getting it. Helmet means nothing. Finally they appear to have taken him away for good - they did it once and released him and he got back. Pure evil.

i heard a story about someone getting swooped by a magpie, side on and the magpie’s beak went straight into the side of the person’s nose and got stuck and they had to pull the bird out !!! that’s intense!

was that the same person that had a huge lump on there face and when it split hundreds of spiders came out

I imagine a magpie hitting you in sweet spot of the temple could be potentially lethal

Ride faster. :wink:

Strap a Claymore Mine to the back of ya helmet and let the little fuckers have it (Note: this will probably give you an acquired brain injury, but that’s the price of revenge)

Im glad that im not the only one being terrorised by these pricks. the most frustrating thing is that once i stop riding and get my wrench out ready to whack the little barstards they wont swoop me, they wont fight me TO THE DEATH!

hahaha yes quite possibly…i never knew whether they were telling the truth or not. gullible :roll:

got swooped today and as soon as i saw the damn maggie comming for me i dismounted and took of my helmet. did the trick!