Gravel/touring road questions and link ups

There are some fire tracks that are very rough that I have heard of thru mates, I was gonna check one out on group ride but we were running late, I have heard that they are very steep.

Been up Mnt Snt Leonard? thats really nice from Healesville, up some fire tracks onto Monda rd then to the summut.

Yep, Sylvia Creek Rd, Yellowdindi Rd, Plantation Rd to Narbethong. All pretty good for forest roads. Jealous.

EDIT: that’s Toolangi to Narbethong btw…

Oh, and I’d ride Acheron Way any day of the week. Worth it even if you have to share with cars.

That was the general plan. Skyline road. Mt St Leonard, Donna Buang, warby rail trail.

Thanks Angry.

Rad, done that a few times, very nice route.

I’m driving up to Canberra tomorrow for a mate’s bucks do on Saturday and then making my way back to Melb on Sun-Mon. Thinking of doing half the drive on Sunday evening and camping in the Alps, then going for a ride on Monday before finishing the drive home.

Can anyone recommend a nice gravel loop up that way? Around 100km; nothing super rough/remote as I’ll be riding solo.

Just rode over Mt Samaria from Mansfield.

Really nice climb and would be a good loop coming back on blue range road.

Now in a park in Benella waiting for the train. Luckily sierra nevada pale ale was on special.

Great post ride beer - This is in the creek that flows off Buller.

Manatra. Can’t help, haven’t explored that area enough…

I havent been on a bike in far too long. Doc’s can’t work out whats wrong with me.

Nice, $8.99 a six pack in the US, even after the poor exchange rate that is a steal!

No worries, mate. Ended up meeting my gf and some friends camping at Porepunkah. Only went for an easy ride in the end but was still nice to be out they way.

Hope you’re back on the bike soon. Sounds likes a hassle of a situation you’re in?

@MikeD, sounds like a good ride. In my head the country around Mansfield is quite different to the country around Benella. Post some pics!

Not my ride, so can’t help with any queries, but: Strathbogie Slider – NixTrader

What: L’Eroica style ride through the Strathbogies
When Sat March 14 and Sunday March 22 - 9:30 start.
Distance: 113 km.

That looks cool, and meticulously planned/explained.

@manatra here is a picture from the top of Mnt Samaria looking toward benella, you have to walk 1km to the top but its worth it, didn’t take any pics going up from Mansfield but check ‘toddcycles’ instagram I think he took a few.

^Good climbing! Beautiful day for riding yesterday, hey.

Could be keen for this Saturday. Hoping to spend as much of this weekend out of St Kilda (i.e. Grand Prix land) as possible…

Hi guys, that’s my ride in Strathbogies! So I can answer questions if there is any interest.

My page started getting hits from FOA so I followed them back to here. Glad I did, this is a neat thread.

Are you riding fixed on these epic treks?

Good lord no.

(well, angry used to do some fixed)

Strathbogie Slider day 1 done and dusted. Dusted very appropriate term. Also plenty of sliding. No stacks among the group, not even a puncture. Took a lot longer than expected - lots of interesting scenic places to stop and chat.

Looking forward to next week already.

A link to ride report from Day 1 of Strathbogie Slider
https://nixtrader.wordpress.com/2015/03/18/strathbogie-slider-ride-1/

I took the picture below when I was doing a reccy drive for this ride. I’ve always thought it was a pity we wouldn’t be riding this section at golden hour with the setting sun coming through the trees like this. However, it transpired that we did ride this section late in the day when it was this pretty …

Post the direct image address between the IMG tags:

Sorry to miss the ride on Saturday, Nix. Was ready to roll but woke up at 5:45 with a sore throat so bad I couldn’t swallow. Only just back at work today. Won’t be able to make the next date but will try to get out there one weekend nonetheless. Good on you for organizing it!

No worries, well you’ve got all the info now - you can do it whenever you want.