HAPPY FRIDAY Do the evolution baby

^ Pun intended?

i wanna see erles and dubrats actually.

1998 - 1998 Specialized FSR Comp (stolen)

1999 - 1999 Specialized FSR Big Hit Pro (stolen)

1999 - Late 90s Giant ATX 870

2001 - 2001 Norco 125 (pictured here with triples but ran everything including rigids, stolen)

2002 - 2002 Norco Atomik

2002 - 2003 Norco Drop (my fave bike I have owned, unbreakable!)

2004 - 2004 DMR Rhythm

2006 - 2000 Jamis Durango

2006 - 2004 Giant DH Comp

2006 - 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Fixie conversion

2007 - 1996/7 Easton XC

2007 - 1984 Europa Team Road fixie conversion

2008 - 2008 Fuji Track

2009 – Bianchi MTB Singlespeed commuter:

2010 - Masi speciale 105

2010 (i think) Kuwahara Fixie from Gypsy:

2011 – Kona Unit Singlespeed MTB

2012 – Contini Singlespeed of FYXO

Current Commuter – 1989 rockhopper:

Current MTB – 2014 spec Stumpy EVO 26

would go something like this:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=road+bikes&safe=off&rlz=1C1VASU_enAU542AU542&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=r4wZU9PPNc7OkwWK7YH4BQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=925#q=retro+road+bikes&safe=off&tbm=isch

I had one bike when I met Blakey. The trusty trucker that was never quite right.

And then … Hillman single speed, via Erle.

The Bruised Banana commuter, via Erle. Met an untimely death soon after Tate took ownership

Awesome GT Force single speed, via Slinky… via Erle. Don’t recall why I got rid of that. Ah well.

The very pretty but underused Claud Butler mixte.

Kona Jake cx in single speed mode for the first time.

Mystery steel road contraption

Much loved workhorse Zeus

Andretton track bike for my short-lived track career

And possibly the coolest bike getting around - the Endpoint

This is sooo good, that photo of hmc, what a dream boat.

This may take me a long time to compile and boor lots of people so ill skip.

i have no pics of my bikes until about 2005. Previous to this my bikes came from the local second hand shop or the tip. we were the poor family at the bottom of the hill near the swamp.

Raceline Peleton (sic). rx100.

Repco Olympic 14. 105/DA

Repco Superlite. Ultegra 9sp

Shogun Katana. 7sp 105

Lemond Ventoux. campag salad.

Repco Vic Tri A. Suntour Edge

Giant CFR1. 6400.

Colnago Titanio. 9s Daytona

Colnago Master X Light. 9s veloce

Raleigh 653 Race. 9s chorus

Repco Olympic 12

Specialized M2 Team. xt/xtr.

Repco Vertex. Superbe Pro.

Shogun Samurai. 9s Veloce.

Cannondale 3.0. 9s record.

Alan Tourist. Shimagnolo.

Raleigh Team TI. campag salad.

plenty of others, but no pics.

2001 - Schwinn Mesa GS
2003 - Avanti Giro (105, carbon fork and stays - my first roadbike. i loved it and hated it at the same time)
2006 - Fetish Cycles (rigid crabon fork, xtr kit stolen from a donor bike)
no pictures of above.

around here shit got cray and i got way too carried away with blowing money on bikes.

converted the fetish cycles gearred thing to SS

got bored, sold it. somewhere around here bought my orange p7 (one of the very few bikes i regret selling)
(fun fact: i sold those cranks to aeons and those brifters to someone on here…ummmmmm)

next i think it was this. my memory is hazy.
JP special on one scandal
for my very short lived mtb career (never saw dirt, sold it after 5 weeks (after 10 months of saving and building) to fund wheels for my new roadie)

Then my second roadie. i bought from my now workplace after walking in there for the first time (i promised never to go in because i couldn’t afford anything…one month later i had sold my soul and walked away with it)

this went through many guises…

then i sold it(muuuuch later), cos ti isn’t that amazing (i was poor, i still have a nonsensical thing for the grey metal)

i then bought a cove.

then i put gears on it

i sold it for more than i paid for it after i fanged around on it for about a year. it was too small for me from the get go, but heaps of fun anyway.

at some point i finished school, and bought myself a present.

then dad wanted a pashley but didn’t want to pay for what was esssentially an overpriced hunk o chinese crap, so i built him this and it’s partially mine too:

and another
(rikolai Ti prototype tt/tri frame thing. (fun fact, sold the front wheel to horatio))

this also went through a few phases of stupidity.
ending with this. (fun fact, sold the cockpit stuff to dubrat)

got bored at work one day and ordered this:
master in PRZA, full da7800 grouppo (now runs 7800 to nemesis rims, but no photo so too bad)

the same week the zabel arrived from italy, this was put on mega special at the distro. my favourite colour scheme that had been discontinued 18months earlier, my size, dirt cheap, enter my first crabon bike:
stole the grouppo off the litespeed.

bought myself a commuter
soma rush - fugly cheapskate wheels from velocity, miche stuff off of here

decided that i needed racks at some point so sold it. (to be continued)

bought myself another commuter:
enter the beer monster hypercolour vomit comet(fun fact - sold the rear mech to snowflake i think).

this thing was fucking awful. not just the horrible colour, it just never made me happy. probably cos it had gears and i didn’t like them very much. and it never fit quite right. gave it to my brother with some parts bin stuff as a single speed commuter. he still rocks it.

bought another commuter:
focus planet 8, bought it for essentially less than cost, got rid of the alfine crap after three weeks, ran it ss (WI disc hubs) for a while and then turned on it like all the other commuters (it rode like crap, especially loaded).

the nero paint scheme was anounced, so naturally i had to build the deathstar:
still fucking love this thing, even though i had to sell the wheels to fund a holiday(running op to record now).

i also did a pesky triathlon thing, so i built another deathstar.
listed it for sale the night of the tri. it never really suited my stupid proportions, went quick on the day though.

on a drunken walk home i found this:
(well it didn’t look anything like this when i found it, but whatever)

it now has drop bars, 105 cranks, a dh stem and is just all round fucking rad)

at some point i also bought my soma back (from matthias, who bought it off the guy i sold it to)
i built it up:

rode it once, and then sent it to kumo to cut it in ahlf and make it into the travel bike awesome god it is today:

I also finally got the molteni master that id been asking for for three years:

and that’s pretty much where i’m at now.

I still own:
Sarroni Master
Zabel Master
Molteni Master
EPS (it is only a frame atm)
C59
^none of the above will ever be sold i don’t think.

Soma rush
1940s malvernstar silly bike thing
frank 2 (triple triangle ironhorse mtb)

Like many I started with a Repco Superlite. No photo’s in roadie form (I remember having the bars turned down too far like all the other cool kids), but here it is in all it’s heinous fixie glory (note the noobie nds shot)

I over-squeezed the dropouts to accept sw8 fixie wheels

Followed shortly by my first ‘track’ frame. More likely a path racer, but it’s main tubes were cro-mo at least and I set it up with some decent parts

Gave that frame to someone. I’ve got no idea where it is now.

My ‘McBain’ (possibly true) which was stolen several months later due to my drunkenness. Yes I had a D-lock by then, it securely held the pole that night but nothing else.

Built this up in a hurry, ended up being very happy with it. It was a mystery frame until I met the builder at a Show n Shine. He still builds under the name Oaksport.

My roadie started life as a single speed, and I rode it like this while I searched for a groupset.

I decided to go retro, so when a mint 600 Arabesque group popped up on an Apollo for peanuts I grabbed it and moved all the parts to the Raleigh.

The Apollo ended up being a surprisingly nice frame so I set it up as a SS commuter

By this time I decided I wanted brifters on my roadie so ‘updated’ to 600 sti on the Raleigh

Pub bike (the frame now in miked’s hands)

A poor attempt at track racing

Modernised the roadie

Re-equipped the Apollo

And I still ride my fixie most days

1. My first bike since being a early teen. Bought complete as a conversion. Probably a Repco.

Later in 2008 I bought my first real track frame. Built it up like this initially.

Then this:

Now this:

Then early 2009 I bought this and built it up so fixie.

I still have it (haven’t ridden it since August last year).

Mid-2009 We went to Japan and I bought my Samson. Out of all my bikes this one has changed the least.

First build.

Current build (except for the saddle, which is a Fujita seamless)

I got a road bike at some point after realising that I wanted to ride up hills and down them with out whipskidding.

Then I built this up.

I then got this from a friend for cheap.

First build.

Now it looks like this:

And finally the #cannondalerack.

I also had a Europa track bike but I can’t be bothered searching for photos right now.

Sweet jesus, so many bikes in this thread. I’ll just focus on one - one of my dad’s old track bikes - a modified Kuwahara.

As I used to ride it, back at Lake Keepit:

(the cinelli m71 pedals were a steep learning curve)

I brought it to Sydney, left it in pieces for a few years, then did it up for the track:

(discovered fairly quickly that Time Atacs weren’t really meant for the track)

Then for the street:

(still rocking the valve caps)

Then for the track again:

(that’s the same white 3ttt bartape - never changed in 10 years and still going strong)

Then for the street again:

ok, I think I can have a better crack at this with my Ti CX bike.

Basically things got lighter, nicer and my touring setup changed.

I raced it in there too, and most importantly it made it to Prolly.

Some of mine also come with hilariously bad photos.

2007! SS GT Chucker, Trip-tri and coooool

Late 07 I got a 2008 Kink Transition and this was its last iteration before a new frame. Chainless!!

Also gif thread:

Here’s a pic on the upgrade that was a fly tierra in sweet pink:

And then in year 11 i got a girlfriend and hardly rode bmx any more cos i’m an idiot, and i got this fuji track, here it is after i painted it in black chalkboard paint. sold it to user etomato !

then i had a sweet norco havoc dirt jumper for a little bit, also a regretful sale cos fuck those things are fun

eighthinch scrambler that i had for a while (first courierererer bike!)

bought this off Ev and then sold onto a friend!

first pomp!

FUCK bike!

Milwaukee Bruiser!! Bought off johnson(?) from brisbane!

also tried to get back into bmx again but, again, didn’t have time/energy for it outside of courierererdom so sold it. WTP Envy (it was rad)

On-one inbred built for touring which i hated, sold it in london:

to buy this banger:

and then today i finished THIS banger:

yolo

Great thread idea Blakey. Here’s my velohistory, starting from 2003 cos I don’t have any pics of bikes before then.

Custom built Cecil Walker Reynolds 853 road frame with a complete Centaur group. Great bike, I converted it to fixed later on and eventually sold the frame to NDF. This pic was the day I picked it up, zero kms on it.

First ever fixed bike, I bought from Des around November 2004 - a Specialized P1 dirt jump bike. Really short geared and great to learn fixed on. Des charged me next to nothing for it, cos he’s a wonderful man. I made it weirder by putting a drop bar on it. But I only kept it for a few months or so.

The P1 was replaced by this Columbus SL Marinoni, my first ever complete bike build and fixed conversion. Luckily for me everything just went together and I had no chainline or other problems. Unfrotunately though, the frame was listed incorrectly and it was too small for me. But I put quite a few kms on it anyway. Beautiful panto’d frame and a great colour. Such a shame it was too small. Features bullhorns when they were cool in 2005.

Late 2005, I think this was the next one, another Columbus SL. This time a Tommasini Super Prestige. Bought as a complete bike for $700 and then converted. Those are also the first and only wheels I’ve built - Record track hubs and Deep Vs - again, before they were cool. I eventually sold this to Dan Hale. He rebuilt it with period correct Campy 7 speed stuff and it’s still there in his studio. I probably shouldn’t have sold it.

Then I bought a track frame. Ken Evans in Columbus Brain. Rode it at DISC for a year or so. Dan built the wheels with NOS Suntour Superbe low flange hubs. Great bike. I sold that to NDf too and I believe he still has it. We used to skive off work and do laps at DISC when the place was empty. Shame I don’t have any decent pics of it. This one was probably taken about 2006.

Around this time I bought an On-One Inbred. I rode it quite a bit as a singlespeed and then fixed it. I even rode it without crank bolts once. That lasted 7kms before the cranks fell off. Here it is ridden by Dan during the FOA first birthday celebrations, and his Errol Flynn Movember mo. Then I lent it to NDF for months as his recovery bike after his terrible collision with a car. I’ve got pics of him riding it for the first time, with a huge smile. His first ride after the crash. Those were golden days.

I don’t remember the details but I must’ve bought plenty of bikes and frames around this time. This was a Skidstar GT that I rescued complete from hard rubbish. It had a huge wheelbase and was weird to ride. It wasn’t built up for long and I eventually sold the frame on eBay for $340 or so. Not bad for a hard rubbish find. All the parts were way beyond restoration though. Here’s Dan riding it on one of the original Wednesday Night Rides.

This is a CAAD7 I got from a friend, built with mostly Centaur stuff from the 853 Cecil Walker. The wheels are Record 10sp hubs with CXP33 rims that I bought for $380. Can you believe that!? This also spent some time as a singlespeed and a fixed. It’s probably the reason I love Cannondale road bikes now.

This is allegedly a Perkins. Built from Columbus TSX. One of my all time favourites. I bought the frame from JP. The second pic is from when JP had it, featuring his broken arm after he got hit by a boat on Beach Rd. When I bought it, it was covered in dinosaur stickers. Remember that JP? I also bought the wheels and pretty much straight away sold the rims to Chris the paramedic and kept the Phil hubs for years until I sold them to Des. This was also the last bike I crashed on. The frame is in my parents’ garage. I’ve got half a plan to restore it one day. But I probably won’t.

A while later I bought the Llewellyn. Columbus EL with a Columbus carbon fork. Great bike that had many different lives - Record 10sp roadie, 8sp 6400STI, 1x9 6400/6500 DA with downtube shifters, singlespeed and fixed. Another really great bike that spent the last few years doing nothing. Sold to Dubrat just a month or so ago.

Sometime around 2008 Des invented Cyclocross. I bought this Voodoo Wazoo from BSC probably in 2009 I think. It’d been sitting in the shop for at least two years. This is one of the original 853 frames. It spent most of its life as a singlespeed, including being raced at DDCX. I love this frame. It’s bubble wrapped in my parents’ garage at the moment. I don’t think I’d ever sell it. I think it was around this time I bought a Salsa Casseroll frame from Evan@Cyclic. I only rode that twice and then sold it to another FOAer.

And now I’ve hit the max picture limit for one post…

…And then a Pompino, cos everyone’s had one of those right? One of the only bikes I’ve had with a flat bar. I sold this to Aeons and I think he’s still got it.

I’m probably all out of sequence now but here’s my beloved CAAD7 CX bike. I bought the whole bike for $600 and immediately sold everything but the frame for about $350. Originally it was built up with a Rival group I bought from JP, as pictured here. But it’s another bike that spent most of it’s time as a singlespeed. I think pretty much all my bikes have been singlespeeds at one time or another. I sold the frame to antoehr FOAer last year.

The 24k gold Columbus TSX Concorde Jubileum. I bought this NOS and probably rode about 80km on it, built with an excellent condition complete 6400STI group. It spent most of its time hanging on the wall looking beautiful. And of course I sold it to Blakey a few years ago, one of the few bikes I actually regret selling. But the deal included first option to rebuy it so I still hope to have it back some day :slight_smile:

This one doesn’t technically count because I never actually owned it. I had a long term borrowing arrangement and it was such an awesome bike I’m putting it here. But I did end up buying the wheels and I still have them. Actually I know the current owner and I might even end up buying the frameset.

And of course the CAAD9 roadie. One of my all time favourites. This bike has had the same set up for the longest of any that I’ve owned. I’ve had it 3 or 4 years and two weeks ago I replaced the Rival stuff with new Ultegra 6700. It’s also one of the only bikes never to have been built as a singlespeed. So far.

The Jamis Nova Race I bought in 2011. I don’t think they were ever distributed in Oz. It was running Sram Rival until a shifter broke, then it became a 1x10 which it still is. Now it features great Dan-built Hope/Archetype wheels. Once the remaining parcels arrive in the mail it’ll be rebuilt back to 2x10 with 105 5700.

And then there was Blakey’s 853 Salsa La Raza. I built it with Sram Rival to start with but then, like most of them, I put about 5000kms on it as a singlespeed, and a while as a winter bike with fenders. I’ve still got it but it’s surplus. Anyone want to buy it?

The Cannondale Capo. A frameset I bought for $198. What a bargain. I ride this bike a lot. It’s so good that Singlespeed Steve had to buy one.

Now the last of the current stable. The Vélo Plastique Chinese road frame that I absolutely love. Nothing more to say. I’ll probably put gears on this one day.

And last of all, just for completeness, this is a Columbus TSX Concorde Squadra that I bought on eBay last winter intending to clean it up and rebuild it. I picked it up in the city and locked it up in the car park at work, and then lost interest in doing anything with it even though I’m a real sucker for TSX frames. It’s still in the car park. I haven’t seen it in months and it’s never been to my house. Anybody want to buy it?

What’s next? Maybe some kind of full on spaceship-looking TT frame.

Had a Koga Miyata Gentsracer years ago, no pics, was a great ride, beautiful metallic bronze colour.

Turned 17, got a licence, left bikes behind. Got my dads Avanti Hurricane Comp MTB in 2002 which restarted the habit.

Sold that, bought this in 2005 and made some changes:

Sold that 2009 looking like this:

Got this 2007, spent 2 years on it, sold it:

Picked this up c.2008, cleaned it up to look like this:

Re-invented it:

Sold it 2011:

2008, first SS fling:

2008, got given this frame with junk parts on it, threw on the 600 from the Zini, rode it, sold the frame, sold the gruppo to HLC:

2009, another SS fling:

2009, started on the crabon, changed the wheels before it left the shop:

And now:

2010, went dirty:

2011, bought this as a frame, built it, rode and sold it in a 10 month time span:

2011, first fixed, Columbus Aelle:

Late 2011, bought this off RowanD, rode it for a year, sold it as a frame:

Rode this for 2012:

2011-2012, bought, rode, sold this:

Picked this up from Roger, early 2012:

Made it go fixed:

Then back to nicer:

Early 2012 got one of my sought-after frames:

Now I’m happy with it:

Current commuter, replaced the Clamont: