Home Brew Beer

Little Creature’s seasonals are usually on point.

1 Like

OK @EzyLee, throw me your best NEIPA recipe, I might try one.

He’ll need help deciding which one is best :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Easy - I’ve only done one legit NEIPA! My SNAFU!

The biggest take from me here was to use good yeast and pay attention to your water chemistry if you can. Feel free to play around with the base malt - as @beercyclist has mentioned, I could go lighter in colour.

Also, if you do make this (or something like it) I recommend drinking it quickly as after a few weeks the hop aroma started to decline.

1 Like

Alright legends - I just bought 500g of hops that sound quite good. I really want to go a heavy hopped pale ale of sorts, but also want that balance so it isn’t just hop water. Any advice for a malt bill to compliment would be great!

Those hops sound really good. Are you going to use the whole 500g in one whack?
Planning for what exactly for your base beer? Light/dark, low/high ABV, hazy/clear, crispy/wet?

Red shiso and strawberry gose went in the keg this week. TBH its been needing to get kegged for a while, but Ive been too busy with other things to get to it.

For a 20L batch - I don’t think I will be using 500g. Possibly 250g in one batch. I am thinking just a light hazy pale ale at 4-6% ABV of sorts for this will suit. Kind of like what I did with the Sabro.

So maybe a mix of Gladfield American Pale Malt Oat Malt and Wheat Malt?

What do you mean by crispy/wet? I haven’t heard of this before.

Dry or … anti-dry (Think bone dry Japanese lager vs something like a cask double IPA for extremes on both ends)

The malt bill sounds fine to me, I’d also try to pick a neutral yeast like US-05. Your hopping rate will also impact the characteristics from the aroma and flavour, not just more or less bitterness so it might be worth doing one batch which is light on the hops (~100g total), and another which really crams them in to see the difference.

1 Like

ANTMANDAN IS BACK!!! YES!!!

Welcome welcome, share all your exciting antics and wisdom with us.

1 Like

Well look who decided to show up :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, hey crew, so to get up to speed, here’s a bit of what I have been brewing of late.

I’ve been experimenting a lot with sours using a 100L ex-wine barrel. I put a huge number of yeast strains in the barrel, including Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus , Saccharomyces fermentati , five Brettanomyces isolates, Lactobacillus brevis , Lactobacillus delbreuckii and Pediococcus damnosus. I yanked a 20L sample last year and put it onto some raspberry, it was pretty great, but this year it’s really matured beautifully and I ended up draining the whole barrel into 4 kegs (one of which has strawberries). We’re planning a house renovation so I’ll have to move the barrel soon anyway and figured it best to do it at a good moment.

With the renovation coming I’m also working through bulk grain stores and brewed a big imperial stout on the weekend (it’ll be around ~10% when it’s done). I also used it as an opportunity to do a Parti-Gyle brew by using the mash a second time to eek out a smaller ~4.5% stout. It made for a long brew day but was super fun. I’m thinking of doing the same in a couple of weeks with a BarleyWine / Pale Ale combo.

So complex! I love it. I am here just trying to get my head around hazy pale ales, and you’re on another level. Amazing.

I have a hard time deciding (shocked?) what to brew next - with three taps available, I want to have 3 different beers, but at the same time I want to ensure that it is going to be drinkable. How do you all approach brewing different styles for your taps?

I’ve pretty much always have a sour of some kind on tap, then IPA (clear or hazy), something lightish or low ABV (hefeweizen, dark mild, bitter, etc.), and finally a seasonal (stout of some sort, browns, pilsner, bock, maibock, etc.). For parties I add the handpump, which is usually whatever I felt like drinking, almost always British.

If you’re wanting to try a style you’ve never done before, maybe look up some award winning recipes and made adjustments based on what materials you got in stock. The basic principals of water adjustments, temp maintenance, volumes, yeast pitching, etc. basically are the same no matter what you brew.

WIth my three taps, I reckon I’ve only ever had all three pouring beers at the same time three or four times. I drink it too quick! I agree on the basic principals generally staying the same no matter what you brew. Well, I did, then @antmandan came along with " I put a huge number of yeast strains in the barrel, including Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus , Saccharomyces fermentati , five Brettanomyces isolates, Lactobacillus brevis , Lactobacillus delbreuckii and Pediococcus damnosus . I yanked a 20L sample last year and put it onto some raspberry, it was pretty great, but this year it’s really matured beautifully and I ended up draining the whole barrel into 4 kegs (one of which has strawberries)."

I haven’t brewed in over 12 months, and all my shit is dusty. Kinda wanna throw it all out and start fresh .

1 Like

I just need to make sure whatever that style is, I like it enough to drink over 10l over it (9l for friends…), thats why I always go for the Pale Ale / IPA styles. But that is just boring to do variants of the same thing I guess.

I do want to get a nice crisp lager for summer, maybe a hefeweizen of some sort. I am lucky that I have a bottle shop down the road from me that has hundreds of different beers so I can go down there for ‘research’. I did find it hard to find an ESB though, they only had one which was from Little Bang in Adelaide.

Also - had a play with a recipe at lunch for the beer with those southern tropic hops. Name is a work in progress.

1 Like

Hello stainless steel everything

1 Like

I have all the stainless brewing gear in the garage, just no need to use it anymore.

I’ll take it off your hands, Geoff :wink:

Well I would, except I’m not allowed beyond 5k’s from my house…