Home Brew Beer

I’ll hold on to it until we can meet up sometime soon :+1:

With our renovation I’m ditching a lot of old gear (giving a lot away to my brew club). Making way for a robobrew, plus a new fridge and tap dispensing system. The renovation includes a brew shed in the backyard with a roller door that opens up to a bar. Great for future Tour de Keg events and other gatherings.

1 Like

Yes! welcome to the robobrew club. Have you used one yet?

Well the dry hopped Oatmeal Stout is a winner - not sure what impact that dry hop had, but nothing is overpowering. Very easy to drink.

5 Likes

Put down Ezy’s NEIPA yesterday with a few tweaks. Totally forgot about the dry extract, d’oh! Explains why my OG was a bit down though. Smelt pretty good going into the fermenter and the yeast has gone to work so things are looking good.

Oh yes! Thanks for giving it a go - what else did you change up? Don’t be shy with that dry hop now!
I have been working with my next recipe for a Hazy Pale Ale for my next batch.

I used Wyeast London III yeast - that’s what they recommend for NEIPA’s!

I used different grain suppliers, that’s probably not going to make a whole lot of difference.

I threw some EK Goldings hops in for bittering, because I had some left over. :grin:

I’d like to say the changes were because of my search for perfection, but actually it was just that my home brew supplier didn’t have everything on your ingredients list. :blush:

Oh, I didn’t do any of the water chemistry either, 'cause lazy.

1 Like

I haven’t used one before, but have had a whirl on a Braumeister and also a Grainfather. I’m so looking forward to being able to do step mashing though.

On the brewing front I kegged up a lager and a German Alt on Sunday, and pitched my cube of Imperial Stout as well as a lower ABV Partigyle Stout I made with the spent grain from this big malt monster. For something a bit different I’m fermenting the lower ABV Stout using the yeast cake from the lager (S-189). If you haven’t tried brewing a lager with S-189 before get on board as it is a really forgiving lager strain.

Keen to hear what you think when you have a few goes on the Brewzilla/Robobrew. As you know I have been getting a stuck mash on mine, am trying a few things to help with that (Rice Hulls and half a tea strainer over the pump inlet). I do have something else to try after a mash as I have found the pump being stuck after the boil as well which results in my whirlpool arm not working. So next brew I will be pumping the wort through a sieve to catch grain matter while the wort gets up to boiling temp. I probably haven’t explained this properly, but I will show you via instagram next time I am brewing.

Speaking of lagers… I have never brewed one.

I guess everyone is busting to hear how Ezy’s NEIPA is going…yeah, right.

Well what started as a promising ferment - good krausen and extended activity, stalled at 1.020. So I scratched my head and had the genius idea to add the 250g of DME which I forgot to put in the boil.

So I boiled it up (probably used too much water, but oh well) cooled it down then added it to the fermenter. Well things went NUTS! I had krausen coming out over the top of the fermenter and didn’t know what to do. So I did nothing and waited for it to subside.

A day or two later I checked the gravity and for all the drama it had only knocked a couple of points off it. groan. Anyway it had been in primary for two weeks at this stage, so I decided to rack it into secondary and dry hop, which sometimes brings it back to life.

So over the last week there has been a bit of activity visible and I checked the gravity and it’s at 1.014, which is still above target, but not too bad. (Aiming for 1.012, although the DME I added probably stuffs up all the figures.) Happy to say the samples I’ve tried when checking the gravity seem to be on track.

I was planning to bottle this weekend, but it stills seems to be active, so I’ll check the gravity tomorrow and see where we’re at.

An accurate summary of my emergency plan for everything :upside_down_face:

Oh no! Sorry to hear it hasn’t been a fun time. Hoping it will all come together and provide you with that hazy neipa goodness! I am not too familiar with stalled ferments - what causes that? Unhealthy yeast?

I have a beer on tap that is probably up there with my best. Again, another NEIPA but I upped the amount and tried a combo that I had from an amazing Garage Project beer a while back. It’s very good, it was only ready on Friday and already I have had a few people coming over to give it a try - all with very positive feedback.

Another bit of news - I attended the Canberra Homebrew club meeting which was held at Bentspoke Cannery and managed to win a nice stainless steel fermenter from KegKing. $250 worth of shine! Plus a couple packets of yeast which will come in handy for a heffeweizen and another neipa.

4 Likes

Oh no, I love it!

Any number of things. To be fair I was probably a bit impatient when I added the DME, it may have kicked off again.

Here it is! As soon as it pours out of the tap - you can smell it. So good.

2 Likes

So what to brew next? I have no idea… Has anyone got any good recipes for a Hefeweizen/Witbier?

Years ago I read some experiments and lab analysis on the effect of dry hopping on beer gravity in a trade publication. Dry hops can actually slightly increase the overall sugar content, but then kick off a tiny ferment that pulls the SG even lower. Found a toned down article with the main points.

Simplified explanation of effect of dry hopping on gravity

1 Like

I have a whole lot of wheat malt that I need to use up - So I thought I would try my hand at brewing a hefe. Any of you legends care for some input on the below, I was hoping to brew using only ingredients in my brew pantry but the pantry is heavily geared towards the IPA and Pale Ale style. So I think I will need to go out and get some Pilsner Malt, and then possibly replace that EKG with a more traditional noble hop… then looking at my yeast. do I need a better yeast? Argh! Recipe development is hard + fun!

No want for a sour or something? Berliner Weisse and Gose use a fair bit of wheat and are quite tasty as it gets warmer outside.
Ill give your recipe a look when I get home. the site its hosted on is blocked at my office.

1 Like

Awesome - I wouldn’t mind doing some sort of Berliner Weisse down the track.

With that recipe, the more I am thinking about it the more I think I should buy some pilsner malt - some proper hops for the style and then maybe a better yeast. Which sort of doesn’t see me going through too much of my pantry.

My hefe recipe calls for Pilsner malt, Hallertau Hersbrucker hops and Wyeast 3068.

I love that the Germans had Hefeweizen before they had bananas. So when bananas eventually showed up, they must have been like, “hey, these taste like beer!”