Hunt 1000

Wow…I had no idea something like this existed in Australia…i’m not going to do it this year, as im only getting back into riding now…but i am definitely in for next year.

Has anyone done it in the past? whats been the experience on the Km’s per day? Is it as grueling as the London to Istanbul ride?

This is the first time it’s been done under this banner, but heaps of people have ridden a similar route before. I’m sure others can provide blogs etc.
If you do it over 7 days it’s only 140km/day, which is very achievable for most people. It’s pretty hilly and remote through there, which is the main challenge

Anyone ridden much of the route? Looks like people are doing it on Rigid bikes, so I’m assuming the offroad isn’t insane?

Or so insane it’ll bust your sus

I’ve heard people mention they’ve seen a prospective route. Where?

Just gotta get real close to the screen to see the roads

from here

Yeah righto. Thought there might be something more detailed than that. That’s cool though; wait and see

Not that I am aware of.

Can make some educated guesses though, based on how spread out towns are out there.

Day 1 prospective route is up

132kms, ~3000m of climbing

I rode 90% of that in April.
It’s gravel road until the highway.

Just before the second climb is this little track to a creek for water.

Thats a decent whack of climbing. Most Kiwi Brevet days had half that in as many kms.

Yep, sure is. Two long grinding climbs and lots of smaller ones. There’s only one small section near the top of the second climb that I had to walk because I was close to bonking.

Sounds like day one may be one of the hardest?

I’ll start a day earlier, see you guys at the top of the second climb.

Yeah I dunno. That first day just gets you to the start of Kosciuszko NP, and then you just keep going through the Alpine NP and into the hills around Melbourne. I reckon there’ll be heaps of climbing

I think you’re on the money. Day one has a fair amount of climbing but it wouldn’t say any of it is particularly hard. It’s all on well kept firetrail and not excessively steep. It’s just long climbing.

Im getting bloody excited about this ride m8s.

Same

how many of you guys are doing this??

I am getting more and more keen. Gonna try and get the time off work