looking for some recommended headphones

I maim to please :smiley:

You just gotta get Radio Raheem on them fuckers - fight the power :lol:

Cmon that’s fucking horseshit.

Why assume that headphones necessarily means excessively loud? You can turn the volume down with headphones just as easily as in the car.

edit: :smiley:

I reckon wearing headphones whilst riding would come a distant third in the danger stakes out of no brakes/no helmet/headphones…

Back on topic I have some cheapo Panasonic headphones from JB. Fairly average sound quality but they seem pretty waterproof so can stand up to plenty of sweat and rain.

those are three things you can’t compare.

no brakes - need to more skill to avoid a crash
no helmet - no less likely to crash, more likely to get brain damage
headphones at any decent volume - more likely to get hit.

back on topic, I once bought some Grado SR-60s http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm. They had great reviews and they I think they look way better than typical ugly headphones, but the sound is much more about the treble - not much bass compared to similar priced Sennheisers etc. Also they broke after not that long. Sennheiser stuff always seems well made.

I can see we both probably agree to disagree.

Probably best settled over a grappa rather than the interwebs :slight_smile:

Agreed.

Prove it.

Bugger, what happened?

I’ve also got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250s, solid as all hell with washable pads to boot. However, I’m more amazed by a pair of AKG K66s I bought ten years ago when I was in year 11… I subjected them to all sorts of shit and crap music, they’re still going strong.

Ok, to be fair, i’m projecting my own personal preferences onto the world.
Riding around the city, or even out in the sticks, I like to be able to hear every little thing that happens around me. I don’t even like walking around with things in my ears.
Often it’s that way around, actually - pedestrian zombies are the worst. Little Eveleigh St, near my house, always has people walking in the middle of the (narrow) street. Sometimes they’re completely tuned out and don’t hear you coming til you skim past their shoulder.

That was a few years ago, bought them in the States then backpacked around Europe and they got squashed in a bag. Still work but the little pivot axle for the pad has snapped off- was surprised it was plastic and not metal.
There’s a new and improved version of them out now though, with better bass too I think.

for riding i love in-ear headphones. they stick in your ear so don’t tend to fall out often. more important is the sound isolation though… almost completely cut out the wind noise! (i hate wind noise!) i was using these till they died:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
now using cheaper sennheisers items.

for my daily riding, i wouldn’t live without headphones.

I should start telling people brakes are dangerous on bikes, cause i don’t even like riding around with things on my bars/fork/frame.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t drive. Never have. And let’s be obvious here, a cyclist faces a hell of a lot more danger on the road than a driver.

Do you think deaf people shouldn’t ride bikes?

Do you think blind people should ride bikes?

we’re talking about headphones, not blindfolds, right?

It seems I’ve sparked a debate about earphones being dangerous.

tbh I think you’re only as safe as how aware of your surroundings you are; and this was meant to be for me, for when I exercise; not explicitly for cycling in traffic.

Yes. I also think this blind guy has a better bike than you.

There’s a blind dude that rides track at Chandler, wins A grade every time, just gets wound up and overtakes half the field on the last lap.

On a tandem

I find the aerodynamics or lack of from my ears makes me instantly deaf during my ride, all I hear is SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHFFFGGGhhttssssSSSSS (wind).

On another note, wearing headphones can increase chances of crashing, think about it, what if they fell off, got caught into your spokes… ripping the buttons down your shirt, eventually reaching your pocket which causes you to jolt directly into your chainring and having a severed leg as a result.

you just never know… /sarcasm

I think my chances of crashing while listening to music are only increased due to the fact that invariably I listen to music that makes me ride like a fiend. I generally pop out one of the earpieces when I come to an intersection / encounter heavy pedestrian traffic.